Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,538 times

Advertisements

Hi my name is Oscar,

I'm a music teacher and my wife is a spanish teacher, we are planning to move to NC from NJ. We don't know anything about NC, this are things that we are looking for:

1. We are looking for a good place to raise our children, good public schools.
2. Good area with affordable houses.
3. School district with opportunities to grow as educators.

Does anyone have suggestions, if you are a teacher can you share you experience as teacher in NC

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 02:25 PM

773 posts, read 647,445 times
You should research teacher pay in NC first. Its quite low.

Here are some existing threads:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/char...questions.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/char...moving-va.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/char...charlotte.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/char...charlotte.html

Old 12-26-2020, 02:34 PM

16,760 posts, read 8,226,477 times
Yes, compared to NJ, pay is dramatically lower. I know a couple in Phillipsburg area who both teach. When they checked out the pay scale in NC, RED flags came up.

Old 12-30-2020, 01:35 AM

615 posts, read 539,388 times
If you do decide that you are okay with the lower wages in NC, I would consider outlying counties such as Cabarrus or Iredell. Cabarrus has Cabarrus County Schools and in Iredell there are two districts- Mooresville City Schools and Statesville Iredell Schools.

Old 12-30-2020, 01:42 AM

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools is large urban school system with at least 150K students. If you are game for the large urban school system, pay would be more in Char-Meck Schools, but there would be more problems associated with teaching in a large system. Also, it would cost more to rent or buy in Charlotte than an outlying county. Plus, your commute to school could be considerably longer in Mecklenburg County. I don’t think you would have trouble finding a job now. I think many teachers have retired due to COVID.

Old 12-30-2020, 01:45 AM

Also, consider Union County Schools in NC or Fort Mill Schools in York County SC. York County is on the SC forum at City Data.

Old 01-05-2021, 06:38 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,899,272 times
I have a teacher friend who left NJ for NC. The pay was less in NC as well as the cost of living. I suggest you start with the NC Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) website--lots of info. Go ahead and apply for NC certification and see what hoops you may have to jump through (or not) to be certified. You can look for jobs statewide through the NCDPI website. There is a state-based salary scale determined by the NC legislature. Each school system has the option to pay a $$$ supplement. That is what makes the pay vary from one system to another.

Old 01-06-2021, 01:38 PM

8,054 posts, read 10,647,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oski1sax View Post
Hi my name is Oscar,

we are planning to move to NC from NJ. We don't know anything about NC
Just out of curiosity, without knowing anything about the the state, what would draw you to it?

Lower property taxes?

Old 01-07-2021, 06:59 AM

5,461 posts, read 6,067,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Just out of curiosity, without knowing anything about the the state, what would draw you to it?

Lower property taxes?
Maybe part of the plea agreement!

Old 01-07-2021, 07:17 AM

607 posts, read 556,188 times
Too many people from NJ here already.

Stay there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte