Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:14 AM

41 posts, read 160,389 times

Advertisements

My husband is currently living and working in Charlotte. The kids and I will be joining him for the summer as of around June 7th. My daughter (17) and her best friend (also 17) need to find summer jobs. My daughter was a lifeguard last year and would love to do it again. The problem is, we will not have a chance to visit before June 7th. What are the chances that they will be able to secure employment before we get there through the internet or phone calls.
Does anyone have any suggestions? We will be living off of Colony Rd. near Sharon. My husband works in the Park Rd. Shopping center. Ideally, they could work close-by since they will be driving in a new city. They do NOT need to work at the same place, but they do both need to work!
Thanks in advance!
Shelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 11:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,575,357 times
They could always try Carowinds for staffing or lifeguarding.
Im not sure who the community pools use for lifeguard staffing.

They could also try searching the Job Bank The Employment Security Commission of North Carolina

Old 05-08-2008, 11:25 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,110,505 times
Hey Shelley, I don't know if your daughter is up for super market work or not, but there is a Harris Teeter in the Park rd shopping center. Even if she were to work there while she looks for something better.

There corporate customer service line is 800-432-6111.

and they are based locally in Mathews.

Good Luck

Old 05-08-2008, 11:53 AM

175 posts, read 546,762 times
I know that a lot of the neighborhoods around here hire Teens to Lifeguard the neighborhood pools in the summer...she could try some of the local management companies.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:55 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,502,067 times
Or maybe the YMCA could help answer these questions...

YMCA of Greater Charlotte

Old 05-08-2008, 08:11 PM

Thanks everyone! I checked the employment site Sunny provided, it looks like you have to be at least 18 for all of the jobs currently posted there. Carowinds seems like a great option, but it's about 20-25 minutes (or more) from the condo, so it would be a last resort. I have already e-mailed the YMCA closest to my husband's condo, so I will hopefully hear something from them. I hadn't thought about neighborhood pools, do you mean in actual develpoments or county pools? The county website doesn't list any lifeguard openings, but I may give someone a call if I can figure out who. Harris Teeter could be a good option, but my concern is how many hours she would get. At our local grocery chain here she'd be lucky to get 15 hours a week. I'll give them a try.
Thanks for the suggestions, if there are others I'd love to here them!
Shelly

Old 05-08-2008, 08:18 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,580,027 times
Hi Shelly - I live near Colony Road and Sharon View Road. There are a number of private neighborhood swimming pools in the immediate area - Mountainbrook, Fairmeadows, Beverly Woods, Huntingtowne Farms. Our pool opens in just a few weeks!

Old 05-08-2008, 08:23 PM

Hi Charlotteborn! I never thought about private communities needing lifeguards. That is a great option. Would these communities have websites or do you think I should send my husband to talk to someone on her behalf? She has great references from parents of children she worked with last year.
Shelly

Old 05-08-2008, 09:13 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,580,027 times
Found these websites:

Mountainbrook Club

Home

Foxcroft East Racquet & Swim Club > Home (Foxcroft East)

I think most of the neighborhood pools have a website. Since your daughter won't be here until June I would contact the pool manager and see if you can send them her resume.
The Harris YMCA would also be great! Good luck!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:46 AM

Thanks, the swim teams are nice to know about too. Brooke (my daughter) is on the varsity swim team and usually begins practicing with our local swim Florida team over the summer to get ready for swim season at school. I'm really getting excited about getting there!
Shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: