Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 07:55 AM

1,865 posts, read 1,664,533 times

Advertisements

Why is it that when I speak to and interact with people of other races/ethnicities/ backgrounds, (I have always worked in fields both here and in NY where "diversity" was the norm before it became a catchphrase or mandate), there is a pervasive: " I treat others like I'm treated" mindset? NOT the media-driven devisiveness you would think infects everyone's interpersonal relationships. Unless you have an ideological ax to grind, how many of us, in real life, hold the hatred or animus in their hearts that "forces" are trying to lead you believe is the norm? How many of us really know anyone harboring such negativity who doesn't have a constellation of other underlying issues.
Ask yourself: who benefits from sowing division and distraction? And do you want to be used to help those so engaged to reap those benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 08:32 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,421,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Why is it that when I speak to and interact with people of other races/ethnicities/ backgrounds, (I have always worked in fields both here and in NY where "diversity" was the norm before it became a catchphrase or mandate), there is a pervasive: " I treat others like I'm treated" mindset? NOT the media-driven devisiveness you would think infects everyone's interpersonal relationships. Unless you have an ideological ax to grind, how many of us, in real life, hold the hatred or animus in their hearts that "forces" are trying to lead you believe is the norm? How many of us really know anyone harboring such negativity who doesn't have a constellation of other underlying issues.
Ask yourself: who benefits from sowing division and distraction? And do you want to be used to help those so engaged to reap those benefits?
Im not black, but I am gay and Latino (but white.).

One thing I have learned from friends, particularly black & Asian friends, that it is best to see color (as opposed to being “color blind”). The fact is, many people have to deal with discrimination or be in circumstances where they are the odd one out. Some people are harassed and attacked based on appearance and looking of a certain descent (terrorist, illegal, etc).

There’s a lot of “color blind” people and that’s the issue I have. I am not that liberal. Hearing people talk about personal experiences, hearing them talk about it being a luxury to be colorblind and see everyone as the same when they’re being called a terrorist by random strangers while pumping gas, etc. makes it hard to be colorblind. And they frankly want to be accepted and treated the same while still practicing their religion and being a different color, etc. those people aren’t even political by any means.

Openly talking about discrimination shouldn’t sow division or be a distraction. It’s a real thing that some people have to go through. There’s a guy at my work who went to Columbia University, was a wrestler, very handsome. He always talks about all his “buddies” from Columbia, etc. He always whines about how hard it is to be a straight white male. He says he faces discrimination too and that being a Republican at Columbia was hard due to discrimination. He said it’s easier to be 2 gay men holding hands down the street than the time he had at Columbia (where he had lots of friends, lots of ladies, etc). He stuck by it. He has it harder being a straight white male than 2 gay men holding hands in the streets - not just of NY - but pretty much any metropolitan area in the country. That’s not reality. People don’t stop their vehicles, yell a derogatory word or have multiple people exit the vehicle to jump you just flr being a straight white male that is Republican. They would if you’re two gay men holding hands walking down the street.

So it’s things like that, for me. Not openly acknowledging discrimination exist and it doesn’t even have to be intentional or people could be without even knowing. Maybe you have gone your entire life with everyone around you being non-discriminative but it doesn’t take away that maybe someone you talked to has faced discrimination frequently in their life who are maybe Asian and insecure of their eyes because of racist comments or maybe women who are nervous to wear their hijab for fear of being attacked as a terrorist. You being nice doesn’t take all that away so it’s shouldn’t be divisive to have those conversations without making people feel that they have to just ignore the discrimination they face simply because someone who isn’t discriminated against doesn’t feel like they’re being “canceled”

But what is so frustrating is watching a group of people who neither side is effected nearly as much as minority groups argue back and forth on polar extremes (one trying to end gender etc and the other believing they are being silenced for being white Christians in the US) and left in the middle are those most effected and blamed for the fight by the 2 opposing sides with their Latinx BS etc.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:38 AM

1,865 posts, read 1,664,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Im not black, but I am gay and Latino (but white.).

One thing I have learned from friends, particularly black & Asian friends, that it is best to see color (as opposed to being “color blind”). The fact is, many people have to deal with discrimination or be in circumstances where they are the odd one out. Some people are harassed and attacked based on appearance and looking of a certain descent (terrorist, illegal, etc).

There’s a lot of “color blind” people and that’s the issue I have. I am not that liberal. Hearing people talk about personal experiences, hearing them talk about it being a luxury to be colorblind and see everyone as the same when they’re being called a terrorist by random strangers while pumping gas, etc. makes it hard to be colorblind. And they frankly want to be accepted and treated the same while still practicing their religion and being a different color, etc. those people aren’t even political by any means.

Openly talking about discrimination shouldn’t sow division or be a distraction. It’s a real thing that some people have to go through. There’s a guy at my work who went to Columbia University, was a wrestler, very handsome. He always talks about all his “buddies” from Columbia, etc. He always whines about how hard it is to be a straight white male. He says he faces discrimination too and that being a Republican at Columbia was hard due to discrimination. He said it’s easier to be 2 gay men holding hands down the street than the time he had at Columbia (where he had lots of friends, lots of ladies, etc). He stuck by it. He has it harder being a straight white male than 2 gay men holding hands in the streets - not just of NY - but pretty much any metropolitan area in the country. That’s not reality. People don’t stop their vehicles, yell a derogatory word or have multiple people exit the vehicle to jump you just flr being a straight white male that is Republican. They would if you’re two gay men holding hands walking down the street.

So it’s things like that, for me. Not openly acknowledging discrimination exist and it doesn’t even have to be intentional or people could be without even knowing. Maybe you have gone your entire life with everyone around you being non-discriminative but it doesn’t take away that maybe someone you talked to has faced discrimination frequently in their life who are maybe Asian and insecure of their eyes because of racist comments or maybe women who are nervous to wear their hijab for fear of being attacked as a terrorist. You being nice doesn’t take all that away so it’s shouldn’t be divisive to have those conversations without making people feel that they have to just ignore the discrimination they face simply because someone who isn’t discriminated against doesn’t feel like they’re being “canceled”

But what is so frustrating is watching a group of people who neither side is effected nearly as much as minority groups argue back and forth on polar extremes (one trying to end gender etc and the other believing they are being silenced for being white Christians in the US) and left in the middle are those most effected and blamed for the fight by the 2 opposing sides with their Latinx BS etc.
Thank you for that response. Everyone's experiences
are unique as are our decisions and abilities to respond to them. You made points friends of mine have addressed in the past. (No. I an not playing the "some of my best friends are..." card, it's just my experience).
I just think that the discrimination and biases extant in the U.S. right now are being exploited for less than noble reasons. We are all ultimately responsible for our actions towards one another.
Will government intervention and media browbeatimg change a mind and heart already set? Are their past and current "initiatives" the solution to solve, or more fuel to perpetuate these issues?
Yelling at each other and intractably welding oneself to a "side" doesn't leave much room for personal growth. Look at most of the binary language and discourse even here; I 'll bet that face to face interaction would be more "genuine".
Thanks again for the reply and getting me to think on some other angles.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:44 AM
NDL

4,521 posts, read 5,687,466 times
Quote:
Why is it that when I speak to and interact with people of other races/ethnicities/ backgrounds, (I have always worked in fields both here and in NY where "diversity" was the norm before it became a catchphrase or mandate), there is a pervasive: " I treat others like I'm treated" mindset? NOT the media-driven devisiveness you would think infects everyone's interpersonal relationships. Unless you have an ideological ax to grind, how many of us, in real life, hold the hatred or animus in their hearts that "forces" are trying to lead you believe is the norm?
Quote:
I just think that the discrimination and biases extant in the U.S. right now are being exploited for less than noble reasons. We are all ultimately responsible for our actions towards one another.
Quote:
Yelling at each other and intractably welding oneself to a "side" doesn't leave much room for personal growth.
Excellent points

Old 10-14-2021, 12:17 PM
NDL

4,521 posts, read 5,687,466 times
Quote:
The fact is, many people have to deal with discrimination or be in circumstances where they are the odd one out. Some people are harassed and attacked based on appearance and looking of a certain descent (terrorist, illegal, etc).
I don't disagree, but again, we're talking about tiny numbers of people. The overwhelming majority of people will respect a person for their work ethic, integrity, and goodness - irrespective of their background.

Why focus on the tiny minority of people? Do you not realize that they embarrass themselves whenever they open their mouth, by spouting ignorance?

Quote:
He always whines about how hard it is to be a straight white male. He says he faces discrimination too and that being a Republican at Columbia was hard due to discrimination. He said it’s easier to be 2 gay men holding hands down the street than the time he had at Columbia (where he had lots of friends, lots of ladies, etc). He stuck by it. He has it harder being a straight white male than 2 gay men holding hands in the streets - not just of NY - but pretty much any metropolitan area in the country.
Do you not notice your tone? The guy "whines;" do you not see the perspective from which you view this individual? Would you view anyone else's concern as one coming from a "whiner?"

Is there not the possibility of *any* merit to what this guy is saying?

My point: if the guy feels he has been slighted, by you viewing him as a "whiner" - it only solidifies his feelings, leading to a splinter affect. From there, fringe groups amplify the "offense," and it snowballs. The end affect is to win the battle, and lose the war.

Quote:
People don’t stop their vehicles, yell a derogatory word or have multiple people exit the vehicle to jump you just flr being a straight white male that is Republican.
There were *numerous* video's online with people in NYC, wearing M.A.G.A. hats, who had their hats knocked off of their heads.

Again, I am not negating anything that you're saying: I have had Muslim friends, and Black friends, and I have seen discriminatory language used towards a former Latino coworker; hell...my Aunt is Puerto Rican. You're right; discrimination exists, perpetrated by a small number of malcontents. But does this reality negate the possible reality of your white Republican coworker?

It doesn't.

Am I equivocating the two spheres?

Not at all.

But my dog in this hunt is to mitigate the effects of splinter groups, who spoil cohesion within society. I'd rather be friends with my neighbor, than to war with her/him - and I see the solution being much what President Obama did, when he wisely held a "beer and pretzel" summit with his professor friend, and the L.E. officer, in Massachusetts.

Did you ever think of inviting your white Republican coworker to your home for a meal?

Old 10-14-2021, 03:02 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,421,747 times
Quote:
Thank you for that response. Everyone's experiences
are unique as are our decisions and abilities to respond to them. You made points friends of mine have addressed in the past. (No. I an not playing the "some of my best friends are..." card, it's just my experience).
Will government intervention and media browbeatimg change a mind and heart already set? Are their past and current "initiatives" the solution to solve, or more fuel to perpetuate these issues?
Yelling at each other and intractably welding oneself to a "side" doesn't leave much room for personal growth. Look at most of the binary language and discourse even here; I 'll bet that face to face interaction would be more "genuine".
Thanks again for the reply and getting me to think on some other angles.

I completely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte