Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 06:52 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24gf424g View Post
Here's an idea: Tell those "nice" people to stop selling to track-housing developers
huh???

Are you suggesting someone NOT sell their land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 01:16 PM

157 posts, read 105,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
huh???

Are you suggesting someone NOT sell their land?

Not at all... I'm not the one complaining about how the area isn't like it was in the seventies, eighties, and nineties..

If people want things like they were then why would they hire cheap migrant labor and sale to developers? Makes no sense..

Old 07-24-2021, 05:34 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times
Quote:
Not at all... I'm not the one complaining about how the area isn't like it was in the seventies, eighties, and nineties..

If people want things like they were then why would they hire cheap migrant labor and sale to developers? Makes no sense..
I completely agree with that part.

Old 07-25-2021, 01:59 PM

334 posts, read 290,769 times
Quote:
Here's an idea: Tell those "nice" people to stop selling to track-housing developers

It won't stop it. It requires city and state regulation to SAY NO TO GROWTH.

Old 07-25-2021, 04:04 PM

52 posts, read 48,401 times
Default Feedback on Charlotte area

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT'ah View Post
Feedback from anyone who has lived in the area for less than 3 months, or has never lived here is not applicable. I am preferably seeking feedback from individuals who have lived here over 5 years, and outlived the honeymoon phase. Moreover, I believe this discussion is applicable for only those individuals who moved to the area having 1) a family in the local school systems and 2) came here for a "professional" job.

What is your general opinion on the area? This can include a small summary of your overall sentiment about any number of things such as traffic, people, government, and life style. I am not trying to lure anyone into negative or positive sentiment, but what I am interested in would be an understanding of your experience.

I will start with mine. I have found that the people who actually grew up here to be the nicest people. However, I find that, if deep friendship were a 5 out of a scale of 1-5, they keep you around a 2 or 3.

I have found that you can find a beautiful back road to build a house, and 5 years later it will be surrounded by cookie cutter houses.

There is certainly good parts of town, and bad parts of town I will not go anywhere near, like the Walmart up the road.

I find that people are too preoccupied with themselves. Neighbors are usually not very friend. The same people allow their dogs to bark, and/or crap on your lawn, EVEN when you have actually called them out on it. I have even heard of lawsuits over this stuff.

I sometimes wonder if like me they moved here to escape something from home, yet to only carry that baggage here?

Lastly, I do not see an awful amount of HS kids. I do get the impression people get out of this area before the kids are damaged too much by the underfunded school systems. I for one would never pay for a charter school, when the education in other parts of the country, within public schools, are just as good.

Honestly, what is keeping folks here? I do not find working in banking to be all that appealing, no matter what they might pay. There is more to life than money.

Feel free to call this a rant, trolling, etc. I am also not interested in the folks who have been on this site for over 8 years, and like to comment negatively to everyone. If there is no constructive feedback, move on please.

Regards,
Vt ah

I relocated (7 years ago) to getaway from winter, high taxes and to move to a more Constitution respecting state. Unfortunately, Charlotte is where the work is and I am in Union County.
I love the state, but hate this area. Too crowded, WAY too much traffic, no quick access to wilderness areas and places to ride a bicycle (safely) for more than a few miles, way more expensive than I expected, especially on blue collar wages.

I could go on and on. It must be because I grew up in mountains and this city life is wearing my mind and soul down. Hopefully, I can relocate to the mountains in the future and be in an environment I feel comfortable with and to be closer to rural living.

Last edited by Monarkman; 07-25-2021 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Add info

Old 07-26-2021, 11:09 AM

445 posts, read 414,223 times
It really is kind of ironic. Lots of people move to an area, probably into stick-frame houses built on former forest land or farms, then those same people scream "NO MORE GROWTH!!!!"

The fact of the matter is Charlotte is a growing hub for employment. The jobs keep coming. If you stop building housing, you basically have the next SF on your hands with out-of-control housing prices. It's the law of supply and demand. You have jobs - you need housing growth to keep up with it. Now, the question is where do you direct that growth - I would argue the vast majority of it should be directed at existing town centers and the City of Charlotte which all at least give people the ability to walk, bike, or take public transit places and put less stress on roadways. But we'll see what happens.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:22 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
It really is kind of ironic. Lots of people move to an area, probably into stick-frame houses built on former forest land or farms, then those same people scream "NO MORE GROWTH!!!!"

The fact of the matter is Charlotte is a growing hub for employment. The jobs keep coming. If you stop building housing, you basically have the next SF on your hands with out-of-control housing prices. It's the law of supply and demand. You have jobs - you need housing growth to keep up with it. Now, the question is, where do you direct that growth - I would argue the vast majority of it should be directed at existing town centers and the City of Charlotte which all at least give people the ability to walk, bike, or take public transit places and put less stress on roadways. But we'll see what happens.

I am one such person only because our schools can't handle the growth, and neither can our roads. If they approved schools and roads like they do housing developments, people would find one less thing to complain about..well, most of us anyway.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:29 AM

445 posts, read 414,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I am one such person only because our schools can't handle the growth, and neither can our roads. If they approved schools and roads like they do housing developments, people would find one less thing to complain about..well, most of us anyway.
Interesting... so do you think your own house should have been approved? where are you supposed to live?!

Old 07-26-2021, 11:38 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
Interesting... so do you think your own house should have been approved? where are you supposed to live?!
When we moved in 15 years ago, it wasn't an issue. Our neighborhood schools are so overcrowded that we have been through 4/5 realignments in the 9 years my kids have been in school. They just did a middle school realignment but will probably have to do another in 2 years - when the new MS is built. There are over 3K homes slated to be built in our area, and our roads/schools can't handle it. The high school will also be realigned again in 2-3 years, and they did that 2 years ago when the newest HS was built. If more thought was put into the planning, I could be on board. Growth can be good when done correctly.

Old 07-26-2021, 12:02 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
"I have no problem as long as transplants assimilate" and "they insist to bring the bad with them" (or similar commentary) is classic double speak. We are in this climate where so many people either want to go back to the unattainable "way things were" or they want to accelerate us into some unattainable "progressive nirvana".

Here's a news flash... it wasn't great just because that was the way it was and accelerating us into the future (example... teaching critical race theory to elementary kids) isn't great either.

When someone asks "what's wrong with people from around here (Charlotte)?", like much of the country, it's clear that they have not caught on to the fact that there is a happy medium to be found in life. Not everything has to go back to the way it was (it can be improved) and not everything can be fixed in an immediate action (but, that doesn't mean we do nothing to try and get better). When more realize this, I believe less will find themselves asking "what is wrong with others".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte