Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 11:31 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marthaQ View Post
Culture for me doesn't equate to a diversity of ethnic groups, it can do but many places around the world are full of culture stemming from just one peoples. I live in a town in England that's full of culture and has nowhere near the ethnic diversity of other places although being close to a top level university we do have a diverse student population.

I'm in my late 30's prefer to be in the action although don't mind a town if it has good public transport links or is close to areas of outstanding natural beauty. I don't mind buses, I know there's a taboo in the States about buses. Does this help? Thank you for your input.
You're welcome .

Your criteria is tough to meet: areas that are near the action are expensive; better values near the action are located in west Charlotte - some of which is currently gentrifying - thus are they a good investment - yet crime plagues certain areas.

If you're okay with waiting it out - in other words - tolerating a medium level of crime, I would look at west Charlotte, specifically Camp Greene, or near Johnson C Smith university - although again, it's somewhat risky as the verdict on the LYNX Gold Line isn't out. An area like Wilmore or Wesley Heights is more expensive than the aforementioned, yet a lot less risky, with lower levels of crime - but the return on your investment will be lower.

A town like Belmont NC - again, patience is necessary - is looking to start a streetcar, which will then link to the forthcoming LYNX silver line (light rail), which will head to Uptown CLT. Patience is necessary however, as this might not come to fruition for ten years. If you can wait, Belmont is a charming town, with access to lovely parks, trails, and the river. Properties along 74 would be a good investment, as they're going to run the Silver Line down 74.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 02:42 PM

447 posts, read 372,878 times
I regard to diversity, here is an idea of where we stand in comparison to other major cities. The following is a list of the percentages of foreign-born citizens in different cities:

Chicago- 20.6%
Minneapolis- 20%
Seattle- 18.8%
Austin- 18.8%
Charlotte- 16.7%
Denver- 15%
Philadelphia-14,1%
Washington, D.C.- 13.7%
Portland, Or. - 13.5%
Madison- 12.1%
Buffalo- 10.4%
Milwaukee- 10%
Indianapolis- 9.7%
Pittsburgh- 9.1%
Columbus, Ohio- 7.5%
Cincinatti- 6%
Cleveland- 5.9

Charlotte is considerably diverse compared to most cities of equal size and more so than many others that are larger. We are an area of just under 3 million and we have what cities of our size generally have in regards to amenities, Our economy is doing great on a national and international level. The only thing missing that many great cities have is a river, a mountain, or a sunny beach. There are many international cultural events, performing arts, very large St. Pattie's day events, October fests, and as many events as one cares to attend. And,our walkability safety is superior to that of many really large cities, but as mentioned, you need to be aware of the community. Based on the opinions of many I know from Asia and Europe, you will likely be happy here as they are. Unless you're from London, you won't be deprived and even if you are, you'll be fine. And since you are looking for a city that i different, this is a good place since you aren't looking for a London or NYC. I lived in London a great part of my life and go there almost every year.

Old 10-25-2022, 06:01 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister2 View Post
I regard to diversity, here is an idea of where we stand in comparison to other major cities. The following is a list of the percentages of foreign-born citizens in different cities:

Chicago- 20.6%
Minneapolis- 20%
Seattle- 18.8%
Austin- 18.8%
Charlotte- 16.7%
Here's what makes Charlotte's diversity different, in my view, from other cities:

Unlike many other cities, Charlotte is distinctly absent from any European influence, save a small Greek contingent, (if it can even be argued that Greece falls under a European subheading). At the same time, the City has engineered her white Southern past from her midst, and that is conspicuously absent as well. I find this odd, considering that the area is largely inhabited by Southerners; it seems that NASCAR is one of the few icons that point to Charlotte's past.

Thankfully, the celebration of the contributions that Black Americans made to the area is present, which is most welcome and enjoyable; I hope that these traditions are maintained, for without these institutions, Charlotte might well be a mid Atlantic city.

The other unique aspect about Charlotte is her suburban format, so while there's a thriving Latino, Middle Eastern, and Indian community, unlike other cities, we don't have a "Korea Town," or "Little India" - e.g. a main street environment that contains ethnic shops and restaurants - in an urban format. For in an urban format, an ethic area is a great way to spend an afternoon or evening: walk, peruse shops, and sample all that the culture has to offer.

Old 10-30-2022, 09:07 AM

327 posts, read 221,885 times
Try Kentucky instead of North Carolina. Overall, Kentucky is much cleaner and safer than North Carolina, with better demographics, infrastructure and, in my opinion, scenery.

Old 10-30-2022, 05:50 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,275,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Here's what makes Charlotte's diversity different, in my view, from other cities:

Unlike many other cities, Charlotte is distinctly absent from any European influence, save a small Greek contingent, (if it can even be argued that Greece falls under a European subheading). At the same time, the City has engineered her white Southern past from her midst, and that is conspicuously absent as well. I find this odd, considering that the area is largely inhabited by Southerners; it seems that NASCAR is one of the few icons that point to Charlotte's past.

Thankfully, the celebration of the contributions that Black Americans made to the area is present, which is most welcome and enjoyable; I hope that these traditions are maintained, for without these institutions, Charlotte might well be a mid Atlantic city.

The other unique aspect about Charlotte is her suburban format, so while there's a thriving Latino, Middle Eastern, and Indian community, unlike other cities, we don't have a "Korea Town," or "Little India" - e.g. a main street environment that contains ethnic shops and restaurants - in an urban format. For in an urban format, an ethic area is a great way to spend an afternoon or evening: walk, peruse shops, and sample all that the culture has to offer.
The most overrated crap in the world. Little “this”or little “that”. Not saying it’s all bad, but a lot of that is branding and just flat out no better than or even as good compared an ethnic strip mall joint in Charlotte. I guess you could purchase a lot of overpriced stuff in “little” whatever, so not a total waste. I’ve travelled enough and wary of these types of things like NYC style pizza in NY or A Philly Steak sub in Philly. And good bbq in NC. A lot of this is branding and crap.

Best bet is a referral or go to Europe. Even there, you’ll need a referral.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 10-30-2022 at 05:59 PM..

Old 10-30-2022, 06:08 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,275,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
Try Kentucky instead of North Carolina. Overall, Kentucky is much cleaner and safer than North Carolina, with better demographics, infrastructure and, in my opinion, scenery.
I like Kentucky, but this is hyperbolic homerism with a huge dose of cluelessness. I could be a jackass and inquire about the beach scene but I won’t.

Old 10-30-2022, 10:08 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
The most overrated crap in the world. Little “this”or little “that”. Not saying it’s all bad, but a lot of that is branding and just flat out no better than or even as good compared an ethnic strip mall joint in Charlotte. I guess you could purchase a lot of overpriced stuff in “little” whatever, so not a total waste. I’ve travelled enough and wary of these types of things like NYC style pizza in NY or A Philly Steak sub in Philly. And good bbq in NC. A lot of this is branding and crap.

Best bet is a referral or go to Europe. Even there, you’ll need a referral.
I am not speaking to touristy commercial districts; I speak to neighborhood "Main Streets" which feature the food and wares of a particular ethnicity. 18th Ave in Bensonhurst Brooklyn, for example, had several blocks of Italian restaurants, wares, music, cafe's, etc; Elmhurst Queens has the same for India; Fort Lee NJ has the same for Korea; Newark NJ has a Portuguese contingent, etc.

It's a wonderful way to experience the cultures of the world, and anecdotally, if you ask questions, people are all too happy to engage and educate you.

A suburban strip mall doesn't have the same ambiance, and the thought of driving all around an area to sample stores isn't appealing.

Old 11-01-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Yet, you are here?

Old 11-02-2022, 07:36 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,692,857 times
Quote:
I don't get the safety comment comparing the two largest cities in Kentucky and North Carolina:

Louisville, Kentucky (consolidated city-county under Louisville Metro PD jurisdiction):
Population: 633,045
Homicides in 2021: 188

Charlotte, NC (under Charlotte-Meck PD jurisdiction):
Population: 874,579
Homicides in 2021: 96

Louisville had nearly twice as many homicides as Charlotte in 2021.... despite having 241,534 less people than Charlotte.... so how exactly is Kentucky safer? Are you referencing the rural areas?

Last edited by CLT4; 11-02-2022 at 08:04 AM..

Old 11-02-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
I don't get the safety comment comparing the two largest cities in Kentucky and North Carolina:

Louisville, Kentucky (consolidated city-county under Louisville Metro PD jurisdiction):
Population: 633,045
Homicides in 2021: 188

Charlotte, NC (under Charlotte-Meck PD jurisdiction):
Population: 874,579
Homicides in 2021: 96

Louisville had nearly twice as many homicides as Charlotte in 2021.... despite having 241,534 less people than Charlotte.... so how exactly is Kentucky safer? Are you referencing the rural areas?
In 2020, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police jurisdiction population was 951,287. The total population of Charlotte-Mecklenburg was 1,115,482 in 2020. The homicide rate in 2021 was 96 as you indicated, however in 2020, it was 126. I sure the hell wouldn't want to live in Louisville. It seems to be out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte