Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2021, 08:55 PM

372 posts, read 453,757 times

Advertisements

Planning to move to Charlotte next summer in June or July possibly. I am looking for the best area to rent an apartment in the hopes of saving some money over time to buy a nice home. I’m a single 28 year old gay black man with one child. Schools are somewhat important. I am moving from Louisiana where public schools aren’t great so comparing to Charlotte I’m assuming the public schools are better. Haven’t thought about charter or private as I’m not familiar with cost.

I have been to Charlotte earlier this year and loved the vibe but did not get to explore as much as I wanted to. It was a very nice city. Very pretty at night. The most I want to spend on an apartment is 1300 a month for a two bedroom. Is that possible in a nice safe area? It doesn’t have to be a top line area just somewhere livable without major trouble that we could feel safe walking or playing.

Some areas I have been looking in are Tryon up through the hidden valley area out towards University City and down independence towards East Forest going towards Matthew’s. Any affordable areas around there? Prosperity Church Rd area? How is that? There is a complex called Cheshire Chase I was looking at how is that area?

Any help would be nice. This would be my first time making a big move. I’m excited but nervous and would like to get to know people once there especially that are young professionals like myself.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 04:56 AM

5,478 posts, read 6,121,009 times
Our boys lived in University Heights for almost 6 years while they attended college at UNCC. There were mostly families living in University Heights at that time. Spacious two and three bedroom townhouses with single garages. When they finished college and moved elsewhere for work, we rented the unit for 1100-1200 dollars before we finally decided to sell it. That was a few years ago, before the pandemic. I'm sure they are renting for more than that now.
I just checked the neighborhood (Birch Knoll Lane, University Park Lane and University Heights Lane) and there were none for rent or sale. That's the problem with nice quiet neighborhoods, everyone wants to live there and there is less availability because they get snapped up so quickly.

Old 11-10-2021, 08:32 AM
NDL

4,520 posts, read 5,681,344 times
Don't look at Hidden Valley

Old 11-10-2021, 08:47 AM
NDL

Oakhurst is nice, but I am not familiar with the rental market right now.

Sardis Forrest is nice too.

I wouldn't look for anything that is east of 74, but that's me.

I don't know the University area well enough to comment.

Old 11-10-2021, 08:48 AM
NDL

(One other thing, and I am sorry for the multiple replies/format: rents are much higher in the late spring/summer, than they are in the winter months. They start going up in the middle of March, and they hit their apex in the summer)

Old 11-11-2021, 10:16 PM

372 posts, read 453,757 times
Thanks for the replies so far. I should mention I am not opposed to a little bit further out like Concord/Harrisburg or Gastonia. I really like Huntersville and Cornelius area but I don’t think my price range would work there for. Nice two bedroom.

Old 12-04-2021, 01:28 PM

56 posts, read 49,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Oakhurst is nice, but I am not familiar with the rental market right now.

Sardis Forrest is nice too.

I wouldn't look for anything that is east of 74, but that's me.

I don't know the University area well enough to comment.
East of 74? Don’t you mean north or south of 74….because 74 runs east to west.

Old 12-05-2021, 02:08 PM

578 posts, read 556,522 times
University area or Albermarle road. The lake area is very expensive and shouldn't be considered.

Old 12-06-2021, 02:46 AM

334 posts, read 292,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
University area or Albermarle road. The lake area is very expensive and shouldn't be considered.

Art,
The title of the thread is "Moving to Charlotte- Best area to live?"

You suggested Albemarle Road. Can you give me an idea of approximately WHERE on Albemarle Road?The Farm Pond area maybe?

How long have you lived in Charlotte?

Old 12-06-2021, 07:36 AM

578 posts, read 556,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langerhans View Post
Art,
The title of the thread is "Moving to Charlotte- Best area to live?"

You suggested Albemarle Road. Can you give me an idea of approximately WHERE on Albemarle Road?The Farm Pond area maybe?

How long have you lived in Charlotte?
Albermarle Road runs off of Independence Blvd (past the arena or coliseum). Farm Pond is off of Albermarle Rd. Turn left on Farm Pond Road off of Albermarle. There are lots of amenities in the area. I have lived in Charlotte on and off for over 20 years. I know it pretty well. I would first check out University close to the shopping/restaurant area next to the pond. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte