Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 10:28 AM

4 posts, read 6,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDavies29 View Post
Just curious - if you had an almost unlimited budget but disliked crowds, traffic & mega mansions and loved trees, quiet & beauty, Where would you settle in Charlotte?

quiet, and beauty -- not Charlotte. The area's unrestrained growth in the past decade has eliminated that to a large degree, and it it on the trajectory to just be another Atlanta. Beautiful quiet and beauty can be found for that budget in NorthEast NC or in SW Virginia these days... almost completely unspoiled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 09:11 AM

4 posts, read 3,850 times
A unit in the Mint Condos in Center City.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:09 AM

588 posts, read 565,307 times
A top floor condo in an exclusive South Park building in the midst of good bars and restaurants,

Old 01-23-2022, 05:02 PM

518 posts, read 2,066,592 times
A Penthouse in one of the high rises in uptown, has to have a view of the buildings facing west so there's the possibility of seeing the mountains in the distance. It also must have parking.

Old 02-19-2022, 07:35 PM

60 posts, read 44,931 times
I've written about the neighborhood before, maybe still one of Charlotte's best kept secrets. The main entrance to the neighborhood is called 'River Walk Way' - I'm referring to the road west of Amos Smith Road - perhaps the neighborhood was originally called River Walk?. River Walk Way east of Amos Smith Road was built as part of another new development some years later.

I don't know the history of the neighborhood but discovered it quite by accident when I first moved to the area 23 years ago. A river front community of high end homes - not even close to being built out, then or now. I still drive through there about once per year to see what's new - a resident came out and took a photo of my car last year - a first as I recall. I moved to the Todd Park neighborhood about 15 years back - now living in the city limits! My 'lottery home' in River Walk awaits now that I'm retired.

Directions: Wilkinson Blvd. (US-29/74) to Old Dowd Road (Old Charlotte Hwy). Turn south on Amos Smith Road off of Old Dowd Road, turn west on River Walk Way.

Old 02-20-2022, 06:03 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,182,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean1996 View Post
I've written about the neighborhood before, maybe still one of Charlotte's best kept secrets. The main entrance to the neighborhood is called 'River Walk Way' - I'm
I referring to the road west of Amos Smith Road - perhaps the neighborhood was originally called River Walk?. River Walk Way east of Amos Smith Road was built as part of another new development some years later.

I don't know the history of the neighborhood but discovered it quite by accident when I first moved to the area 23 years ago. A river front community of high end homes - not even close to being built out, then or now. I still drive through there about once per year to see what's new - a resident came out and took a photo of my car last year - a first as I recall. I moved to the Todd Park neighborhood about 15 years back - now living in the city limits! My 'lottery home' in River Walk awaits now that I'm retired.

Directions: Wilkinson Blvd. (US-29/74) to Old Dowd Road (Old Charlotte Hwy). Turn south on Amos Smith Road off of Old Dowd Road, turn west on River Walk Way.
Looks like a very nice neighborhood, bordered by 85, 485 and a major airport. I'd be checking out the noise levels, especially in the evenings and early morning, to see if that was going to be an issue. Of course, maybe you've already done that if people leaving the neighborhood have taken a picture of "your suspicious" car. LOL!

I'd also do some diligence on the River District planned development along that area to see if it will impact your solitude and traffic.

Old 02-20-2022, 08:18 AM

2,417 posts, read 2,757,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Looks like a very nice neighborhood, bordered by 85, 485 and a major airport. I'd be checking out the noise levels, especially in the evenings and early morning, to see if that was going to be an issue. Of course, maybe you've already done that if people leaving the neighborhood have taken a picture of "your suspicious" car. LOL!

I'd also do some diligence on the River District planned development along that area to see if it will impact your solitude and traffic.
It's actually a pretty good location for noise... It is parallel with the end of the runway and about 2 miles west, so it is never directly under the flight path. As planes take off, they can't curve tightly enough to end up over the neighborhood. Most of the takeoff noise ends up concentrated near Mount Holly for runway 36C where the planes start to bank to the left. For landings, planes are two miles east.

The bigger thing that impacts property values is a relatively isolated location from premium shopping that the $1 mil+ consumer likes, being in a semi industrial area with warehouses, the surrounding area being poorer and having mobile homes, and low performing public school assignments with private schools far away. It is a great location for somebody that doesn't mind isolation, a 15 minute drive to shopping, and loves boating.

Old 02-20-2022, 10:12 AM
NDL

4,527 posts, read 5,710,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Admittedly, I’ve not been here long but I think Rea Rd/Colony Rd North of 485 would fit a lot of the criteria. Someone else would have to speak for the traffic since I work from home and commute to Durham for in office days.
That's one of my favorite parts of CLT as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
My cousin just moved to Connely Springs (near Hickory) from Las Angeles. It is a totally different world for him, and it is what he wanted. He said he could no longer deal with the politics and liberals of California and that he has more in common with the people where he now lives. He bought a home in a gated community that is very restricted and safe. He has a gorgeous three story house on a beautiful hill just up from the lake with a beautiful view of the mountains. He is surrounded by trees and all of his neighbors are in million dollar plus houses. He is only a 5 or10 minute drive from Morganton, Hickory, or other small cities. He loves it there.
I *love* that area; Maiden too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
A top floor condo in an exclusive South Park building in the midst of good bars and restaurants,
South Park is lovely, but that points me back to the area a little far south on Colony: spaciousness that's close to South Park.

Old 02-20-2022, 10:23 AM

60 posts, read 44,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post

Living in a retirement mobile home community at present (Todd Park area). 18 lots containing 2 site built homes and 16 mobile home lots. Six of us own our mobile homes/outbuildings and rent our lots from the owner. Best rental prices in Mecklenburg County. Property has been in the same family since 1948 and is well maintained.

Drawbacks? We are north of the airport, right under the flight paths. Major railroad lines on either side of the neighborhood and a major CSX yard nearby. Much industrial development. Many cookie cutter neighborhoods and apartment complexes built of late. Schools? Not any I would put my kids in (all grown up anyway).

Crime? Yep, the general area is often in the news for the wrong reasons. Fortunately, our little plot has remained relatively quiet.

Shopping? I buy my 93 E0 motor fuel in Catawba County as this is the closest location to NW Mecklenburg County. EPA edict stopped the sale of 93 E0 in Mecklenburg and surrounding counties back in 2017. The Denver area in Lincoln County is pretty good for shopping too. Otherwise, I shop the Southend area off of South Blvd. or drive to Gaston County. Drive all the way to New Hope Road in Gastonia to get my vehicles cleaned properly.

Bottom Line: Life is what you make it. Still play the lottery. My new River Walk neighbors may have mixed feelings about my future arrival....

Old 02-24-2022, 08:44 AM

385 posts, read 733,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDavies29 View Post
Just curious - if you had an almost unlimited budget
Wait, do you have a $1 million budget or almost unlimited? Those two are very far apart now. $1M won't get you much around town now.

Now "almost unlimited"... that's a different story. I'd choose about a mile north of South Park on Sharon Rd. It's the center point if you want to be close to uptown, SP, easy access to 77/airport (via Woodlawn), easy access to Independence (via Wendover).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte