Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 05:42 PM

6 posts, read 10,310 times

Advertisements

Just curious - if you had an almost unlimited budget but disliked crowds, traffic & mega mansions and loved trees, quiet & beauty, Where would you settle in Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 07:20 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,827,498 times
Admittedly, I’ve not been here long but I think Rea Rd/Colony Rd North of 485 would fit a lot of the criteria. Someone else would have to speak for the traffic since I work from home and commute to Durham for in office days.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:20 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,584,163 times
As long as you don't have to travel for work and don't care about resale - Marvin/Weddington.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:53 AM

5,470 posts, read 6,106,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
As long as you don't have to travel for work and don't care about resale - Marvin/Weddington.
I would think Marvin/Weddington would have among the best resale in the area.

Old 01-05-2022, 06:04 AM

335 posts, read 432,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I would think Marvin/Weddington would have among the best resale in the area.
You're right, it does...but the rest of their comment is true...the traffic up Providence and through the back streets in Marvin/Waxhaw/Weddington is rough...but dang if there aren't some gorgeous neighborhoods down there.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:14 PM

577 posts, read 555,090 times
My cousin just moved to Connely Springs (near Hickory) from Las Angeles. It is a totally different world for him, and it is what he wanted. He said he could no longer deal with the politics and liberals of California and that he has more in common with the people where he now lives. He bought a home in a gated community that is very restricted and safe. He has a gorgeous three story house on a beautiful hill just up from the lake with a beautiful view of the mountains. He is surrounded by trees and all of his neighbors are in million dollar plus houses. He is only a 5 or10 minute drive from Morganton, Hickory, or other small cities. He loves it there.

Otherwise, the lake area in Northern Mecklenburg (Davidson, Cornelius, Huntersville, and Mooresville) offer mostly good schools, low crime, easy access to Charlotte, and all amenities within close reach. You can pay as much as you like for a house in these areas. We do not have hurricanes, tornados, blizzards, or earthquakes in these areas. Good luck. I believe that Davidson was recently elected as the number one best place to live in N.C.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:16 PM

577 posts, read 555,090 times
My cousin just moved to Connely Springs (near Hickory) from Las Angeles. It is a totally different world for him, and it is what he wanted. He said he could no longer deal with the politics and liberals of California and that he has more in common with the people where he now lives. He bought a home in a gated community that is very restricted and safe. He has a gorgeous three story house on a beautiful hill just up from the lake with a beautiful view of the mountains. He is surrounded by trees and all of his neighbors are in million dollar plus houses. He is only a 5 or10 minute drive from Morganton, Hickory, or other small cities. He loves it there.

Otherwise, the lake area in Northern Mecklenburg (Davidson, Cornelius, Huntersville, and Mooresville) offer mostly good schools, low crime, easy access to Charlotte, and all amenities within close reach. You can pay as much as you like for a house in these areas. We do not have hurricanes, tornados, blizzards, or earthquakes in these areas. Good luck. I believe that Davidson was recently elected as the number one best place to live in N.C. The traffic situation in these places depends on your schedule. I-77 can be pretty bad during rush hours.

Old 01-05-2022, 01:01 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,325,909 times
I would live where I live now and invest the leftover money. If the market keeps going up like it has been, I highly doubt it will, I could probably retire in a couple of years. Then daily commute traffic wouldn't matter.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:37 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,371,207 times
I'd probably go for lakefront on the western or northern side of Lake Norman. But unfortunately, $1,000,000 isn't exactly "unlimited" anymore

Old 01-13-2022, 07:39 PM

334 posts, read 292,102 times
A million dollars might buy me the house but not the location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte