Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 03:15 PM

5 posts, read 7,260 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of buying a house in Wesley Heights, but can't find much information in regards to the area / neighborhood.

What are your thoughts on wesley heights as a whole and where it's going? In terms of convince, safety, etc...

Thank you,

Jessica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 04:07 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaSizemore View Post
We're thinking of buying a house in Wesley Heights, but can't find much information in regards to the area / neighborhood.

What are your thoughts on wesley heights as a whole and where it's going? In terms of convince, safety, etc...

Thank you,

Jessica
It's still in the process of gentrifying, but I see it as a low risk investment; lots of beautiful homes, in a very desirable location.

Safer than areas that are in west Charlotte, for example.

I think that it's one of Charlotte's underappreciated neighborhoods; hopefully, the area won't suffer the teardown of homes such as what's happened in Dilworth, Chantilly, etc

Last edited by NDL; 09-25-2022 at 04:20 PM..

Old 09-26-2022, 07:11 AM

447 posts, read 372,878 times
The location is great in proximity to uptown and amenities. It is a lovely area with lots of trees, older homes, and mostly very well kept. Unfortunately, walking to uptown for entertainment venues at night is risky. As you venture further north towards J.C. Smith University (Five Points), the riskier it gets. I believe that it is becoming better safety wise, but it just isn't there yet. I lived on Grandin Road when it was really a good area before it became bad, before it became fairly good again. Overall, all, I would rate it B- for location and D overall for safety. If I were a woman (no sexism or anything like that intended) I would never walk from Wesley Heights to uptown at night alone.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:22 AM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister2 View Post
The location is great in proximity to uptown and amenities. It is a lovely area with lots of trees, older homes, and mostly very well kept. Unfortunately, walking to uptown for entertainment venues at night is risky. As you venture further north towards J.C. Smith University (Five Points), the riskier it gets. I believe that it is becoming better safety wise, but it just isn't there yet. I lived on Grandin Road when it was really a good area before it became bad, before it became fairly good again. Overall, all, I would rate it B- for location and D overall for safety. If I were a woman (no sexism or anything like that intended) I would never walk from Wesley Heights to uptown at night alone.
Yours was an excellent synopsis of the area.

Would you say that the area towards J.C. Smith is riskier than the Camp Greene area west of Wesley Heights?

Do you have any hopes that the LYNX Gold Line will be successful in securing investment/gentrification of that area?

Old 09-26-2022, 02:04 PM

447 posts, read 372,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Yours was an excellent synopsis of the area.

Would you say that the area towards J.C. Smith is riskier than the Camp Greene area west of Wesley Heights?

Do you have any hopes that the LYNX Gold Line will be successful in securing investment/gentrification of that area?
It is my feeling that both the Five Points area and Camp Greene would be equally dangerous after dark for you or me. I don't have any idea whether the Gold Line will be a good investment in that area. I would definitely want good security as a driver or a passenger at certain times of the day. I'm sure your guess is better than mine. I believe that it will be many years before that route is anything close to the Blue Line route. Paying customers could also be an issue. I hope for the best, but am not an optimist at this point.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:48 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,416,730 times
Friend,,,,BEFORE you buy any house you need to do one big thing....Go to the house sort of late on a friday or saturday night and park your car, Then get out and take a slow walk around the neighborhood. You will quickly know if thats where you want to be....lol

Old 09-26-2022, 07:36 PM

718 posts, read 492,317 times
I love living here. I like the closeness of being near Utpown and being near the Goldline. As an African-American I am ok with the gentrification. I like how the city is still making sure the area along with Biddlevile maintains its historical African American roots specifically the Plazas near JCSU that host everything from farmers markets to soulfood truck festivals to even live music. The area is really cool. You also have the Morehead street side with all of its shops as well.

Old 09-27-2022, 05:55 AM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister2 View Post
It is my feeling that both the Five Points area and Camp Greene would be equally dangerous after dark for you or me. I don't have any idea whether the Gold Line will be a good investment in that area. I would definitely want good security as a driver or a passenger at certain times of the day. I'm sure your guess is better than mine. I believe that it will be many years before that route is anything close to the Blue Line route. Paying customers could also be an issue. I hope for the best, but am not an optimist at this point.
Appreciate your reply...thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
I love living here. I like the closeness of being near Utpown and being near the Goldline. As an African-American I am ok with the gentrification. I like how the city is still making sure the area along with Biddlevile maintains its historical African American roots specifically the Plazas near JCSU that host everything from farmers markets to soulfood truck festivals to even live music. The area is really cool. You also have the Morehead street side with all of its shops as well.
That sounds cool, and Wesley Heights showcases some of Charlotte's most handsome architecture.

Old 09-27-2022, 06:49 AM

198 posts, read 261,745 times
Wesley Hights is nice. As for the surrounding areas they suffer from past reputation. Five points and Rozzell Ferry which are not in Wesley Heights has been vastly gentrified. Homes in that area are now approaching one Million with some around JCSU already above one million. You should be just as safe in Wesley Heights as you would be in any comparable priced area in Charlotte.

Old 09-28-2022, 05:03 AM

5 posts, read 7,260 times
Thank you everyone! If anyone has any more input, it would be greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte