Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,835 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving soon. we found two different properties. One is zoned for Matthews Elementary, the other is zoned for Ballantyne Elementary. I have read very negative reviews for Ballantyne. Matthews sounds great. Can anyone speak on either of these. I read a thread on Ballantyne but it is outdated. Thank you!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 01:42 PM

751 posts, read 934,488 times
We just moved in the area and our daughter went to Kindergarten this year at Ballantyne Elementary. The school and her teacher seemed great. Since we were only there a year, I can't speak to the other grades. Some other things for you to consider would be:

- Area to live. Matthews & Ballantyne are very different areas in terms of lifestyle
- High schools. Are you going to be staying in the same house through high school? If so, look at where the schools are zoned for high school as well (with the obvious caveat that CMS can redistrict at any time)

Old 05-28-2014, 07:58 AM

469 posts, read 891,156 times
My kids went to Matthews Elementary. We were very happy there. Matthews is a very old school - has had additions and lots of renovations, but there is still some old left - the front of the school, the gym, and the cafeteria are all old. I'd say of all of that, the biggest disadvantage is the gym. Many of the newer schools have gyms that are much larger and that can be expanded as multipurpose areas. That's not the case at Matthews. There is no place at the school that will fit the entire school for an assembly - or even more than 1 grade at a time. If there is anything where they want the whole school together, then it's outdoors. But that's ok. There have been quite a few things that have changed since my son was there (he's in his twenties) and even a few more things changed since my daughter was there (in her teens). But I think for the most part, people are happy. Chances are, if you're zoned for Matthews, your middle school will be Crestdale and high school will be Butler. I've been very satisfied with both of those schools as well.

I would recommend that you take a tour of both schools - and sooner rather than later so you can see what it's like when kids are there.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:06 AM

533 posts, read 936,265 times
Both these schools are fine.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:08 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,816,782 times
I was thinking the same thing as UScc123. The two areas are so vastly different! Both schools are good as long as you are an interested parent. However it really boils down what lifestyle you are looking for. As Go To Girl suggested, tour both schools and see what feels more comfortable to you.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:03 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,360,370 times
I don't see the possibility of redistricting if you attend Ballantyne Elementary as there are literally only one of two potential middle schools and high schools in the near vicinity. It is highly likely your child would attend Community House for middle and Ardrey Kell for high school.

Don't know anything about Matthews Elementary but agree both areas are completely different.

Also talk to other parents at the schools and look at teacher turnover. That should also give you some informal data on what to base your decision.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:26 PM

751 posts, read 934,488 times
I could see Ballantyne Elementary eventually becoming a split school, with the Western part of the school (off Lancaster) districting up into South Meck at some point 5-10 years down the line. Not saying it's likely...but anything's a possibility if they keep building apartment complexes into Ardrey Kell (at least 3 that I know if in this area...2 East of Johnston and 1 West of Johnston just this year).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: