Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 06:40 PM

4 posts, read 17,763 times

Advertisements

Hi.. We are being relocated for my husbands job to Charlotte. We will be down there by the middle of September. I am looking now however because I know that most preschools go on waitlists.
We are looking in both the Ballantyne and Matthews areas. I have a 2 year old who is in a wonderful preschool for 2 days a week 9-1. I am looking for the same type of program for when we move. What are some of the best preschools in the area? Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 06:57 PM

533 posts, read 1,836,536 times
i was impressed with learning links academy off rea road in the blakeny area. i have worked in 2 popular ballantyne preschools that have long waiting lists, and honestly they hire just about anybody and not everyone is meant to work with children. i've interviewed for learning links and they only hire people with degrees in education or who are pursuing degrees in education and i was really impressed with their child centered program. they only have half day programs so it is NOT a daycare/childcare environment which is great. good luck in your search!

Old 07-04-2008, 06:59 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,856,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscp7892 View Post
Hi.. We are being relocated for my husbands job to Charlotte. We will be down there by the middle of September. I am looking now however because I know that most preschools go on waitlists.
We are looking in both the Ballantyne and Matthews areas. I have a 2 year old who is in a wonderful preschool for 2 days a week 9-1. I am looking for the same type of program for when we move. What are some of the best preschools in the area? Thanks in advance for any help.
Honestly, not to sound too discouraging - and welcome to Charlotte by the way, you won't have a lot of luck getting him in anywhere when you move in September. Most places have long since made their class lists and waiting lists, I'm sorry. You may want to just connect up with other moms of kids that age for play dates and gatherings until after the new year when the sign-ups start for the next school year. Calvary Church in south Charlotte runs one of the biggest programs (and has a good rep). You could start there if you want to just double check on waiting lists. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:48 PM

797 posts, read 3,299,170 times
I'd say your only luck might be Rainbow Station preschool opening in ballantyne at the end of the summer. It's brand new and not yet open so it might not be full for the waiting list yet.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:02 PM

529 posts, read 1,981,275 times
I just got added my daughter to the wait list for a half day program at lake park methodist church for 3 year olds and found out I was 19th on the list... so I guess it will be another year until until we get in and then she will be 4. Good luck. Welcome to Charlotte!

Old 07-05-2008, 07:29 AM

15 posts, read 52,052 times
There are many alternative programs you can get him into. You may have to relax your "pre-school" definition a little, but you can readily find a place for socialization and learning twice a week for 4 hours a day.

Cranfield Academy and Chesterbrook Academy are two I would try first. Then there are the Goddard schools.

Good luck!

Old 07-05-2008, 11:05 AM

4 posts, read 17,763 times
Thank you so much for all the info! It is very helpful! I am a former elem. school teacher.. so preschools are very important to me! I have to say that I am very discouraged however about the waitlists! In the area we are right now, we have the same issues and I just got my daughter in!
What ages do most of the preschools start? 3? She won't be 3 until January and from what I read, most of the registration is in January for the upcoming year. Does anyone know about the Goddard schools down there? How are their waitlists? Are they expensive? We have them here too, and they are VERY expensive. Thanks again!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 6,267 times
FBC Matthews has a terrific preschool program. They have kind caring teachers, and a limited enrollment. They have a great reputation in the area. You may face a waiting list, but they are a great place to check out. All three of my children have gone there, as well as my nieces and nephews. We have always been happy. The director's name is Tara Rogers, and phone # is 704-849-0580. Goo Luck!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:13 AM

264 posts, read 919,417 times
If she's not even three yet, I would try and get involved in a playgroup or Mother's Morning Out or something after you move here.

Everyone else is correct; you'll have waiting lists at all the decent schools. I started my search in March before we moved in June -- and that was for the following September.

Most of the church programs will be full up for next year -- they have registration in Jan/Feb for the following year. I don't know if the "serious" preschool programs take 2-year-olds. Personally I wouldn't put a 2-year-old in a day care environment.

One thought is the YMCA -- the Morrison Family Branch (Ballantyne) and the Siskey Family Branch (Matthews/S. Charlotte) both have programs and might even have a drop-in type situation.

I've posted this before, but I have seen a sign up at Providence Presbyterian that they have openings for next year. You might give them a call.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:13 AM

124 posts, read 583,450 times
We moved down from NJ about 1 1/2 months ago. We're living in Stallings (just about 10 minutes from Matthews). We were able to get our son into Kids Are First on Lawyers Road without a wait list (and to my surprise about $60/month cheaper than NJ!). I know they do have a morning preschool progam. So far we really like the center. It's a five star facility as well. Worth a try, our son is 3 and we were able to get him into the 3-4 year old class versus the 2-3 year old room so that he doesn't have to switch classes in the fall. We wanted to avoid having any more change than necessary for him given everything in his life has changed. The first 3-4 weeks were a rough transition for him (and for us!) but he's settling in now and really likes his school, teachers and new friends. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte