Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 12:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
My ideas are too radical.

For one if you are old enough to commit the crime you are old enough for the punishment.

Full disclosure of criminal past including juvenile.

3 strikes rule, min 5 years no parole.
1 more strike 10 years
1 more 20 years

Any after that mandatory death penalty.

no cushy cell, chain gang 8 hours a day 6 days a week.

Thats just for starters

Maybe YOU need to sign up to be on the task force, LOL!!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
I don't know that I have any good ideas to add about crime prevention and solutions, but if anyone sees a board opening (or advisory council opening) on how to improve our infrastructure, wow, I would love to serve on that one. I would start w/ mandating that all builders buying property to develop subdivisions have to donate xx amount of land for a school to support those families . . . and have to ante up $$ to increase lanes on adjacent roads . . . and have to ante up $$ for water system expansion, etc. Plus greenways that have to be approved, etc. etc.

My solution for crime is very much on the line of Scotsman's . . . except I would probably do something additional - such as establish citizen patrols (armed w/ tasers). LOL. So that would not go over very well, I am sure. You don't even want to know what I would do about kids under 18 who commit crimes - I would hold their parents reponsible (after one conviction) etc. etc. So no one would be very impressed w/ my ideas on crime.

Last edited by brokensky; 05-29-2008 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-29-2008, 01:16 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
Ani-Let me know when you find this council opening so I can vote you in!!
I really can't post what punishment I think people should be getting for crimes. I'd probably get a reprimand from the moderator. BUT I think Ani, that were along the same lines..

Old 05-29-2008, 01:26 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,021,674 times
One punishment I will post, regarding sex offenders.

Has something to do with garden shears...............................

Old 05-29-2008, 04:03 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,549,353 times
Barkingowl, I kind of feel like if you say ANYTHING bad about Charlotte on this board it offends some people to an unreasonable degree. Almost as if it's personal. Don't worry about it

Old 05-29-2008, 04:13 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Barkingowl, I kind of feel like if you say ANYTHING bad about Charlotte on this board it offends some people to an unreasonable degree. Almost as if it's personal. Don't worry about it
Oh dear, Sophia . . . we are right there w/ Barking. We agree - great idea. We have all discussed this stuff b/f but we are saying - we would be to HARSH on these thugs, so no one would want us to be on their committee. The attitude here in CLT (in the past) has been more "hug-a-thug" than "plug-a-thug" and we are all pretty fed up w/ it. I would very willing to help on a task force, but I just know they would think I was too "harsh."

Most of our thugs have long rap sheets, and the general consensus on this forum is that the guys are let back out on the streets (due to plea bargaining). So we refer to our jail system as "the revolving door."

We are all in agreement w/ Barkingowl that citizen involvement is a great idea! But I, for one, know that my "lock 'em up and throw away the key" mentality would NOT go over very well.

No one is putting down Barking's idea for volunteers - not at all.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:17 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,549,353 times
I was referring to his spat w/ another poster. Lol. Not a spat, but....anyways. I can understand how he might be feel jumped on for saying something negative about CLT, like there is crime here.

Just an observation from a casual poster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte