Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:22 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,969,096 times

Advertisements

Charlotte Local News | Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotte.com/local/story/644419.html - broken link)

Old 05-29-2008, 08:28 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Charlotte Local News | Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotte.com/local/story/644419.html - broken link)
I volunteer nkjaws

Old 05-29-2008, 09:01 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,391,715 times
I 2nd Loves

Old 05-29-2008, 09:44 AM

672 posts, read 1,831,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I volunteer nkjaws
Too bad I am not eligable and do not intend to help solve the cities crime problems for them. What do I pay taxes for?

Old 05-29-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
Too bad I am not eligable and do not intend to help solve the cities crime problems for them. What do I pay taxes for?
Why aren't you eligible? It says "Anyone interested can sign up"?

Regardless, I didn't think you would do it, though I do wish you would, seriously

Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Why aren't you eligible? It says "Anyone interested can sign up"?

Regardless, I didn't think you would do it, though I do wish you would, seriously
No it says that you have to be a resident of the county and since I have homes both here and in TX, I keep my residence in TX. Besides, I would not be interested in taking time away from my family to try to solve a cities crime problems. You clearly have more time on your hands, maybe you should give it a run

Old 05-29-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
No it says that you have to be a resident of the county and since I have homes both here and in TX, I keep my residence in TX. Besides, I would not be interested in taking time away from my family to try to solve a cities crime problems. You clearly have more time on your hands, maybe you should give it a run
Whether you own a home in Texas or not, you reside in Mecklenburg county - therefore you do qualify. However, I can understand the constraints of family life - we all have them. I just believe in putting your money where you mouth is - something I already do in various ways to deal with the crime concerns I have. I'm sure you are doing the same in your own neighborhood I just thought that given you continued concern with crime overall in the city something like this task force would be a great opportunity.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Whether you own a home in Texas or not, you reside in Mecklenburg county - therefore you do qualify. However, I can understand the constraints of family life - we all have them. I just believe in putting your money where you mouth is - something I already do in various ways to deal with the crime concerns I have. I'm sure you are doing the same in your own neighborhood I just thought that given you continued concern with crime overall in the city something like this task force would be a great opportunity.
First of all, it seems odd to me how YOU are still calling me out as if I am the ONLY one on this forum who ever says things about crime. Which is completely false. And even more irritating to me is the fact that I barely even talk about crime on this forum anymore b/c mainly it doesn't affect me anymore. My DH is a crime captain in our neighborhood, we are involved within our neighborhood, and like I have said Berewick has hired off duty police officers as security and I now feel very safe here. However, in no way is it my job to fix a crime problem of 700,000 people. We do our part within our community, it is up to everyone ELSE to do their part. In the future, please do not call me out on posts like this as it is disrespectful and uncalled for. There are many other posters who have voiced concerns about crime here.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
First of all, it seems odd to me how YOU are still calling me out as if I am the ONLY one on this forum who ever says things about crime. Which is completely false. And even more irritating to me is the fact that I barely even talk about crime on this forum anymore b/c mainly it doesn't affect me anymore. My DH is a crime captain in our neighborhood, we are involved within our neighborhood, and like I have said Berewick has hired off duty police officers as security and I now feel very safe here. However, in no way is it my job to fix a crime problem of 700,000 people. We do our part within our community, it is up to everyone ELSE to do their part. In the future, please do not call me out on posts like this as it is disrespectful and uncalled for. There are many other posters who have voiced concerns about crime here.
It is often difficult in these types of forums to interpret a writers "tone" of voice so I can understand you feeling as though I was "calling you out". I can assure you I was not - I was being serious and sincere in all that I wrote. Except of course my very first post where I volunteered you - I was poking fun and being lighthearted . I know that you and your husband are involved in the crime watch in your neighborhood. I also know crime is a major topic around here and you are certainly not the only one with concerns. You are just one of the most consistent ones with concern. Saying that does not mean I am picking on you - it's just an observation. When someone is passionate about anything, they are usually the best candidates for getting involved with the issue. Therefore I really do think you would be an asset to a task force like the one being formed.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:02 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,027,266 times
My ideas are too radical.

For one if you are old enough to commit the crime you are old enough for the punishment.

Full disclosure of criminal past including juvenile.

3 strikes rule, min 5 years no parole.
1 more strike 10 years
1 more 20 years

Any after that mandatory death penalty.

no cushy cell, chain gang 8 hours a day 6 days a week.

Thats just for starters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte