Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 05:45 AM

797 posts, read 3,295,539 times

Advertisements

Salvation Army will come to your house to pick up large items. They came and picked up a ton of stuff from us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isitfridayyet View Post
Does anyone have any ideas of where to donate clothing other than GoodWill...I have taken so much stuff to them and it all gets dumped into a big bin for resale, I would love to know of somewhere that the clothes will get used by someone who can't make it to Good Will, like a shelter or something like that. Years ago I donated bags of clothing to a shelter and it was great to see that they went to people who really needed them, instead of some middle class bargain hunter.

WOW! And I thought I was the only one who thought that. It is really hard to fing places to take clothing, blankets, sheets and other things to donate to actual people that need it. Instead of putting in a place that will turn around and sell it. I am have a hard time finding some where to donate a lot of things so if their is someone out there who knows the information please let us know.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:09 PM

714 posts, read 2,306,542 times
One idea is to list it on Freecycle. I took photos of a bunch of nice work clothes I had all laid on a bed and listed it on Freecycle. I got an email from a woman who volunteered at a shelter for battered women. She said they could use the clothes to give to women who were getting back on their feet again and needed to go to interviews, etc. I felt so much better after that donation than after the "dump it at Goodwill" donations.

The good thing about Freecycle is you know it will be wanted. In fact, you often have to sift through numerous requests for your items. Now, how "needy" the recipient is varies. Freecyclers are a frugal sort, not necessarily a "needy" sort.

I wish I had kept the name of that woman and her shelter around. They were in Charlotte though.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:19 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I was disappointed in Goodwill. When I re-did my daughters bedroom last weekend, we have lots of clothes, toys, etc to donate. Also being donated was her barely used Twin bed, complete with headboard, frame, and bagged mattress/boxspring.

Well, as it turns out, Goodwill does not take mattresses/boxsprings (even in the great shape these were in). So, I had to bring this truckload of donations to the Salvation Army location in Cornelius. They gladly took everything we offered.

So, I was a little disappointed in Goodwill, but I appreciate they have their policies.
Sorry Stripes, I know you intentions were good, but places just cannot accept used mattresses and box springs - that's like a store taking back a bathing suit that's been worn - just yucky. If you realized how much skin we slough off that ends up in mattresses you'd be grossed out! Most likely the Salvation Army destroyed it, but they used workers to do it so you did contribute to them having work to do for the day.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:51 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I was disappointed in Goodwill. When I re-did my daughters bedroom last weekend, we have lots of clothes, toys, etc to donate. Also being donated was her barely used Twin bed, complete with headboard, frame, and bagged mattress/boxspring.

Well, as it turns out, Goodwill does not take mattresses/boxsprings (even in the great shape these were in). So, I had to bring this truckload of donations to the Salvation Army location in Cornelius. They gladly took everything we offered.

So, I was a little disappointed in Goodwill, but I appreciate they have their policies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sorry Stripes, I know you intentions were good, but places just cannot accept used mattresses and box springs - that's like a store taking back a bathing suit that's been worn - just yucky. If you realized how much skin we slough off that ends up in mattresses you'd be grossed out! Most likely the Salvation Army destroyed it, but they used workers to do it so you did contribute to them having work to do for the day.
I agree with not taking used mattresses for those reasons, just like I'd never get a used mattress unless I knew where it came from and how it was handled. But doesn't some furniture fall into the same category of potential nastiness? Maybe not to the same degree, but I'm sure I do some sloughing when I'm on the couch.

I see both sides of the Goodwill issue. On the one hand. the money made from seeling their goods to the middle class bargain hunters (I've bought hundreds of books and CDs from them) supports their charity and puts people to work. OTOH, donating to some other places as mentioned above, puts the clothes directly into the hands of the people who need them the most. I think both places serve their purpose.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:49 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
I would think bed bugs is a reason they don't take bedding.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:32 PM

763 posts, read 822,171 times
I believe that it is the Diabetes association that phones me monthly to leave out clothing and/or other items. I would check with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte