Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 09:26 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,838,183 times

Advertisements

The more I think about these things, the more I'm beginnign to like the idea. The arm straps you see on TV (I can't rmember the name right now). Those would be perfect for you with bad knees. Takes the big initial lift out of it and most of the strain off of your knees. Not really a help in this situation, but maybe food for thought.

I worked with TVs before and I know how heavy those things are. I'd offer to come move it but I don't have help and I'm nowhere near strong enough.

The advice about neighborhood kids is good and bad. They may get it down but it may not be in one piece when it reaches the bottom of the stairs.

If you plan to donate the TV, talk to your tax person about possibly writing off the expense of moving the TV to a spot where Goodwill/SA/etc will come get it.

I'd say this is probably your best route if you don't want the TV anymore.

Well, other than dropping it out a second floor window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 01:46 PM

714 posts, read 2,307,339 times
Wow I was without computer access for a few days and it's so good to return to see so many good ideas. Thank you!

I will look up some of the smaller charities. SA and Goodwill have requirements that ruled them out (not coming into the house, as was mentioned, and a 6 item minimum for large pickups).

As for why I'm concerned about liability - well, I just am. My husband thinks I worry too much. He's almost certainly right. I just have visions of some random guys falling down our stairs under the weight of this monster television.... If I could find a way to get the television off my hands without having to deal with that particular concern, it would be great.

Thanks again for the ideas!

Old 06-02-2008, 03:04 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
The assisted care facility picked ours up this morning.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:09 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
Try here:

Make your move on eMove: eMove Moving Help

We are using this service to load up our stuff here as we, unfortunately, picked a weekend to pack up when most of our friends were unavailable.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:27 AM

714 posts, read 2,307,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Try here:

Make your move on eMove: eMove Moving Help

We are using this service to load up our stuff here as we, unfortunately, picked a weekend to pack up when most of our friends were unavailable.
That's incredibly cool. Thanks for the site!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:40 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,059,709 times
Try a consignment store. It's a business and they must have liability insurance. You can ask them to provide you a copy of it before they enter your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte