Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:31 AM

865 posts, read 2,431,363 times

Advertisements

I don't even try to make mine straight (I have naturally curly blonde hair). Otherwise it just looks frizzy after an hr. in the humidity (and that can be just going back and forth to the car). I use a curling shampoo and conditioner (Be Curly by Aveda) and products to enhance the curl (liquid gel), scrunch my hair while blowdrying with a diffuser, and go curly!

And I am growing out my layers too b/c I find they just make things worse for me. And I wash it every other day too. Good luck! You're not alone in this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 11:25 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,640,975 times
I have naturally wavy hair and I straigten it so it tends to be on the frizzy side. My stylist turned me onto this product called Moroccon Oil for hair, it's not oily in your hair at all, makes your hair so shiny and so smooth looking even in really humid weather. I highly recommend it.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:12 PM

70 posts, read 160,194 times
Thank you so much for all the ideas. I think I will try each of them! I feel so much better knowing it isnt only my hair that needs to "relax" !!!! THANKS!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 01:48 PM

163 posts, read 586,323 times
If you wanted a long break from your curls (well, guess this would depend on the length of your hair) you could have a perm reversal done....straighten it...Eventually your curls will grow back if you want them back, lol!

I have a friend who did this and loved it!

Old 06-02-2008, 02:25 PM

124 posts, read 361,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impressionist View Post
Hey you guys, mostly gals... I have a question that has been hounding me since I moved here... I have "naturally curly hair" (caucasian) and my hair "plumps" up about 2 inches in the humidity and I simply CANNOT wear my hair down... I also tend to sweat alot, so suffice to say, my hair NEVER looks good here... I'm hoping someone has similar hair and knows what works around here. I'm tired of wearing my hair all up and tied back all the time... Suggestions?
Try a Dominican Hairdresser they do amazing work on all hair. One was just posted on this site last week. Address is on Tyvola Road just before Southern Boulevard. Heard there was a sign in the window saying they had a Dominican hairdresser Place is called CHICA BEAUTY SALON I have not moved to Charlotte yet but certainly wanted one in place before I get there.:-) Soooo necessary. Please send me feedback Don't worry if they don't speak English sometimes they pretend they understand you.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:26 AM

201 posts, read 968,282 times
LOL...Well, I'm just as gross LOL....I have very fine hair but it plumps up too...and worse....BANGS... The bangs are the worst and I have some friends who, like me, can predict the weather by my bangs .... I agree that layers are like the worse thing in the world....my advice is to condition, condition, condition....and condition...the more dry the hair is, the more it will absorb moisture...some hair is just prone to absorbing moisture in the air...have you thought about straightening? p.s. I'm also a sweater haha

Old 06-03-2008, 09:54 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,058,310 times
Wow! Glad to hear that I'm not alone. I've been in Charlotte for almost 4 years and this was a very big struggle for me. I have extremely thick curly black hair.

I use 2 things that have worked wonders for me. The ceramic flat iron they sell at the mall kiosk. I think it's called Corless or something like that. But you have to really haggle with those guys.

The second thing I bought is a clear gel called SHINE with a hot pink top for a couple of bucks at Target.

I put a very small amount of the gel in my hair and either blow it out or let it air dry, then I flat iron it.

The main thing about whatever product you use is that make sure it doesn't have alcohol in it. It will dry out your hair and intensify the frizz. Hot oil treatments work too. My grandmother used a tsp of warmed olive oil once a month.

Good luck... hope you look fabulous here in Charlotte!

Old 06-03-2008, 12:37 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,103 times
Aveda makes a fantastic anti-humectant pomade. It comes in a small jar which, if you use it correctly, will last you a couple of years. Just a tiny bit keeps things under control for me.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:48 AM

457 posts, read 1,177,647 times
Can anyone recommend a product to use on days when you don't wash your hair & it you just want to tame the flyaways/frizz. For years I was using a Loreal product called Anti-Frizz but they recently stopped making it. I haven't tried Frizz Ease in years b/c when i did i believe it made my hair feel dry. Maybe it's changed? So again, I'm looking for a product to use on dry hair that'll make it look as good as the day I washed it. Thanks!

Old 01-11-2009, 12:32 PM

124 posts, read 361,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
Wow! Glad to hear that I'm not alone. I've been in Charlotte for almost 4 years and this was a very big struggle for me. I have extremely thick curly black hair.

I use 2 things that have worked wonders for me. The ceramic flat iron they sell at the mall kiosk. I think it's called Corless or something like that. But you have to really haggle with those guys.

The second thing I bought is a clear gel called SHINE with a hot pink top for a couple of bucks at Target.

I put a very small amount of the gel in my hair and either blow it out or let it air dry, then I flat iron it.

The main thing about whatever product you use is that make sure it doesn't have alcohol in it. It will dry out your hair and intensify the frizz. Hot oil treatments work too. My grandmother used a tsp of warmed olive oil once a month.

Good luck... hope you look fabulous here in Charlotte!
Response to the post In June 08---I said I was moving to CLT well here I am and so far the weather has been kind to my hair but I am getting ready for the dreaded humidity and frizz. You said it took 4 yrs. to find the right hairdresser-story of our lives huh? have you found a miracle treatment or hairdresser for our problem yet,if so pls share :-)I went to Planet 21 and what a nightmare (bowl over head cut)from E. and then turned me over to a student.$75 before tip. Can't use the words in CD to describe the ordeal and results. My 1st disappointment in CLT. hope the last. Just a caution to others --feel free to DM me if anyone wants details, willing to share experience . Hope you all have more info. Will try the olive oil. I am in Ballantyne area. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: