Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 06:51 PM

7 posts, read 40,272 times

Advertisements

I am new to Charlotte and looking to buy a single family home in South Charlotte. I am really torn as to whether I should buy a house in Reavencrest subdivision (Ballantyne area) or Willowmere (off Providence & Mckee road). The homes in both locations were built by Pulte and roughly of the same 2500 sq ft area.

I would really appreciate it if somebody could give me a better insight into the differences in the quality of the neighbourhood, appreciation rates and safety between Reavencrest & Willowmere. Any information would be highly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 06:57 PM

797 posts, read 3,294,972 times
Several years ago, we looked at both. We bought a house in Reavencrest and lived there for 2 years (just moved out end of last year). I think it's a much better location as it was 2 min from the interstate and we had 2 targets within 2 miles and having Blakeney and Stonecrest shopping center right near it was great. Willomere is a little more secluded. Plus the house appreciated like crazy! We didn't do anything to the house and in 2 years made $70k. We had several offers on it withing a couple days of it being listed. I think the neighborhood is very popular due to it being so central to tons of stuff.
Reavencrest is a newer neighborhood than Willomere. When they finished Willomere, they started Reavencrest.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:07 PM

7 posts, read 40,272 times
Dear Travlingrlclt

I really appreciate your insight. Since you have lived in the Raevencrest neighborhood could you please help me out with the following questions:
1) Would you have an idea about the average current price per sq feet in Raevencrest considering this slower market.
2) Quality of the neighborhood?
3) Crimes and any safety issues that you might have come across in your stay there

I appreciate your help

Old 05-31-2008, 08:09 PM

797 posts, read 3,294,972 times
I'd have to figure out the sq. footage/price, but that's something you could also do on your own by looking at what's listed right now. Quality was high in means of people were very involved in keeping up their houses and lots of people were putting high end improvements on the homes even though they are only about 5 years old (adding nice decks, sunrooms, putting in granite and high end appliances). Thats where I noticed a bit of difference was Reavencrest looked like a bit nicer on the outside to me meaning all the yards looked very nice, houses were always pressure washed etc I also like the grand entrance to the neighborhood and the long street to get to the houses.Willowmere doesn't have that. Def. had no issues w/ crime or not feeling safe. This neighborhood is in one of the safest area's of all Charlotte-Ballantyne. I'd say the majority of everyone living there were in their 30's. Lots of kids. Great school district.
I think Willomere is nice also , it's just a preference of what area you want to live.

Last edited by travlingrlclt; 05-31-2008 at 08:19 PM..

Old 06-18-2008, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 5,860 times
I live in Reavencrest and my sister lives in Willowmere. I am marrried with kids and she is single and lives alone. We have lots of families with young children living around us, we really enjoy the neighborhood. I know my sister loves her neighbohood because there are plenty of single people living there, they get together sometimes. In both neighborhoods, for the most part, people take great care to be good neighbors and take care of their homes. But the location of Reavencrest cannot be beat - we have tried believe me. We have even looked at higher end homes, but keep coming back to the fact that our location is the best one we can find.
Reavencrest is actually 4 neighborhoods in one, offering a good variety of options but they all get lumped into one when price averages, and size averages, etc. are done by local realtors. That may mean that a 2850 sq ft home with a larger lot may be averaged in with a townhouse, pulling up the average of the TH while lowering the average on the larger home.
Good luck in your decision!

Old 03-28-2011, 07:25 AM

14 posts, read 40,078 times
Default A lot time; a lot must have happened around Reavencrest

Just reading the posts about Reavencrest v. Willowmere. I see that the posts are a few years old and that many new communities are sprouting around there. Any idea which would be best for a single mom with four small children? I love the look of the area around Bakeney, Ardrey Kell and Reavencrest. Thank you in advance

Old 03-28-2011, 02:50 PM

Default Reavencrest V. Blakeney Greens

Any thoughts?

Old 03-28-2011, 03:22 PM

983 posts, read 2,540,741 times
I live in Reavencrest, but looked at a lot of area before I bought. The homes are different styles and when I bought my town house they didn't have an end unit and they were 3 stories. Both are very nice and very close to all the shopping and schools you will need day to day. So it will be your choice, but I vote for Reavencrest since I live here :-)

Old 03-29-2011, 06:39 AM

Default Thank you happehart

I see Raevencrest has a lot for sale. I wonder if I should rent first.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:33 PM

983 posts, read 2,540,741 times
As another poster said, there are 4 different types of homes in the community, one car town homes, two car town homes, 3 bedroom patio homes and big family homes. There are lots of homes for sale every where in Charlotte, we have 2 years worth of inventory to sell before we can see an up swing. Rentals in my community go fast, the town houses here go in the range $1300 - $1100 depending on location, condition and size. If you are not sure this location is your best option, rent for a while and see how you feel about it. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte