Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 12:22 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,503,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cball75 View Post
Don't forget when you are comparing teacher's salary to other professionals that teachers only work 10 months. Other positions are based on 12 month work. For example, if starting in CMS is around 36k, you would need to add 7000 to that to compare it to a person with a 12 month position. Teaching does not pay enough and it never will, but it is not bad for a college grad starting out. Benefits and retirement are the added bonus that no one thinks of considering. NC has come a long way in 10 years to go from bottom five in pay to top ten and national average with the current year budget vote. NJ is losing teachers left and right. No one is staying there. I have seen more NJ applicants this year than from NY... and that is unusual. It is not as bad as people seem to make it out. I speak from experience with 10 years in education. Don't get me wrong, my wife makes a ton more than I do in accounting, but my job is much more stable and more rewarding. It all depends on what you value in life.
cball75- I included a link to teacher's salaries by state for 2005-2006

Teacher Salaries by State

North Carolina's teacher's salaries have not quite reached the national average just yet. The raise teachers are hoping to get (7%) will happen only if the cigarette taxes are increased which appears at this point, very unlikely! It's not experienced NJ teachers that are leaving the state, it's the residents who can no longer afford the taxes generated by the rather generous teachers salaries and benefits (health benefits are free for the teachers and their families). Perhaps you were referring to recent NJ college teaching grads? The only experienced NJ teachers coming to NC are the retirees with their $60,000 pensions and free health benefits for life! No teacher with many years of experience, in their right mind, would give up a teaching job in NJ to move to NC - unless their spouse got a $250,000 job with Wachovia or BofA! Most of the teachers I know in NJ that are my age, (55) and have 30 years in, are closing in on $100,000 salaries. Combine that with the benefit packages they receive (most NC teachers would drool over!) and it's not a bad living!

Last edited by TheEmissary; 06-02-2008 at 12:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 05:24 AM

192 posts, read 322,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I think it's sad that as deperate of a need that CMS has for teachers, that they don't have some sort of assistance for new, willing teachers. I've heard that they go out and "recruit" teachers at college fairs and offer signing bonuses. Meanwhile they offer poor salaries and no assistence to get these people moved to Charlotte.

One question, is it completely a done deal for you? Could you not call the principal or HR and ask them if they can offer some sort of assistance or point you in the right direction. If not, maybe post something on this board and I PROMISE there are planty of people here with the knowlege about CLT to point you in the right direction as far as employment and locations.

That being said, in the "business world", as far as what I would do.... I would call the principal if you had direct contact with him / her in the first place and submit a written letter by mail to HR that personal circumstances are preventing you from taking the job, I'd follow up with a phone call and explain the living situation problem.

From personal experience, I would also say to be sure you make the right decision. I mean, if you really like Charlotte then you can find a way to make it work. $45,000/yr sounds like a lot, but in the grand scheme of things it's probably not that much more if you break it out by paycheck over what CMS is offering (maybe ) You might could make up the difference by tutoring, coaching, waitressing until you get better acclimated and on your feet. I moved around a lot when I first graduated and I wish I had found Clt a lot sooner because out of all the places I've lived, I like it here the best.

I wish you luck with whatever you choose to do. Also, thank you for being a teacher
Jake,

Thanks for your suggestions, I will contact both the HR Dept and the Principal. I did contact the HR department, the recruiter that I was working with, and I was given a number and that was it. I called and really felt like it was less than professional. I think it is a final decision for me to wait. $45k is the starting salary I have been teaching for a while and I have a Masters Degree and the cost of living is less expensive. I think I need to research more and be sure than jump out and have regrets. I have a current teaching position and would feel better waiting. I love teaching, but I have to be sure that I can live and be happy where I am going to be working and I feel like I need to wait. I will still teach, and my students will be glad I am there at least for another year. I will visit Texas this summer and then I can make a better decision.I really do appreciate your help

Old 06-02-2008, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cball75 View Post
I don't understand how you could not find suitable housing in Charlotte or the surrounding area? Resign, they will hold you to a 30 day notice (which does not matter at this point).
While in Charlotte, I looked at several places and I wasn't pleased with the units that I saw. One place had a terrible smell and the leasing agent said it was because of some creek. She said you would only smell it when it rained. I can’t live with that. Other places didn’t seem safe, and others were very small for the amount that I was being asked to pay. Others were very expensive. It is a personal preference, not to offend anyone, but I did not like the apartments that I viewed. The other thing was there were issues with the time frame of when I needed the apartments, and many came in either too far ahead and too far past the need date, and I can't pay to hold an apartment for a month when I am not living there. I needed a place on the 1st they would say I won't have anything until the 19th, but you could lease now and we would have one ready for you, sight unseen. This did me no good, and added to my stress. I just felt pressured, and this was not a good feeling, however, I appreciate your concern

Old 06-02-2008, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I don't know where you heard that teachers start at 45K in Texas. I know teachers in Texas who can't find jobs and those that do teach do not make 45K. I think that if that is in fact true, you would be teaching right next to the Mexican border, where most of your students do not speak English and are illegal.

I am also surprised you couldn't find a place to live.

When I moved here, the HR people offered to help me find an apartment and some have agreements with the district to get you discounts.

As for your position, did you sign anything? If you did, they can put a hold on your teaching license, which will prevent you from getting a position in any state.
I saw the article and the billboard in Florida (see link). Texas District Tries to Lure Florida Teachers (http://www.districtadministration.com/newssummary.aspx?news=yes&postid=50070 - broken link)
I am not concerned about the people that I teach, I have an ESOL endorsement, so that would be fine. I can understand your surprise about me not finding a place to live, however, I can only speak from my personal experience, I am glad you didn't have any problems. I did contact HR and they gave me a number to contact for apartment searches and I was directed to some very unsafe places (as posted by the regulars on this board ie (Andover Woods, Sabal Point, The Villages) It seemed to me they were only interested in getting me in the most expensive places when I voiced concern about the other locations they sent me to. I signed an acceptance letter, but I have already licensed in my current state. I can’t imagine that they would prevent me from working because I changed my mind; I know I am not the first. I thank you for your input.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeme View Post
If you are not going to take the position, put your resignation in. They will appreciate it. Just because Texas will pay more doesn't mean that you will be making more. Think of the cost of living. And if CMS wouldn't take you back, you could always go to a new school district close by. And if you leave on good terms, why wouldn't they take you back? I know I used to teach, it is difficult to make a living off a teaching salary. Good Luck!
Thank you, I will submit the letter, and in enough time to keep them out of a bind trying to find a replacement. I have considered the cost of living and it seems like it might be better for me. Thank you for your comment

Old 06-02-2008, 07:22 AM

529 posts, read 1,980,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsunshine View Post
While in Charlotte, I looked at several places and I wasn't pleased with the units that I saw. One place had a terrible smell and the leasing agent said it was because of some creek. She said you would only smell it when it rained. I can’t live with that. Other places didn’t seem safe, and others were very small for the amount that I was being asked to pay. Others were very expensive. It is a personal preference, not to offend anyone, but I did not like the apartments that I viewed. The other thing was there were issues with the time frame of when I needed the apartments, and many came in either too far ahead and too far past the need date, and I can't pay to hold an apartment for a month when I am not living there. I needed a place on the 1st they would say I won't have anything until the 19th, but you could lease now and we would have one ready for you, sight unseen. This did me no good, and added to my stress. I just felt pressured, and this was not a good feeling, however, I appreciate your concern
I can see how the good ones can price you out of staying here. It is hard if you are alone in paying for that too. Best of luck to you on your search!

Old 06-02-2008, 08:53 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,888,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsunshine View Post
Jake,

Thanks for your suggestions, I will contact both the HR Dept and the Principal. I did contact the HR department, the recruiter that I was working with, and I was given a number and that was it. I called and really felt like it was less than professional. I think it is a final decision for me to wait. $45k is the starting salary I have been teaching for a while and I have a Masters Degree and the cost of living is less expensive. I think I need to research more and be sure than jump out and have regrets. I have a current teaching position and would feel better waiting. I love teaching, but I have to be sure that I can live and be happy where I am going to be working and I feel like I need to wait. I will still teach, and my students will be glad I am there at least for another year. I will visit Texas this summer and then I can make a better decision.I really do appreciate your help
Seems like you have thought this out and are being careful. Good for you! I am a former teacher who left years ago to make more money; I do understand your concerns about affording housing. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Seems like you have thought this out and are being careful. Good for you! I am a former teacher who left years ago to make more money; I do understand your concerns about affording housing. Good luck!
Thank you for your support

Old 06-02-2008, 05:08 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,787,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
cball75- I included a link to teacher's salaries by state for 2005-2006

Teacher Salaries by State

North Carolina's teacher's salaries have not quite reached the national average just yet. The raise teachers are hoping to get (7%) will happen only if the cigarette taxes are increased which appears at this point, very unlikely! It's not experienced NJ teachers that are leaving the state, it's the residents who can no longer afford the taxes generated by the rather generous teachers salaries and benefits (health benefits are free for the teachers and their families). Perhaps you were referring to recent NJ college teaching grads? The only experienced NJ teachers coming to NC are the retirees with their $60,000 pensions and free health benefits for life! No teacher with many years of experience, in their right mind, would give up a teaching job in NJ to move to NC - unless their spouse got a $250,000 job with Wachovia or BofA! Most of the teachers I know in NJ that are my age, (55) and have 30 years in, are closing in on $100,000 salaries. Combine that with the benefit packages they receive (most NC teachers would drool over!) and it's not a bad living!
This is very true. I know many teachers including several family members who are NJ teachers and will only leave their jobs and NJ once they recieve their pensions with all their health benefits then they move to other areas with lower cost of living and get teaching jobs down south. That is the only time I have ever seen a teacher leave NJ for the lower paying teacher positions. I think this could be seen as a good thing or a bad thing. It is good because you are getting well educated teachers with masters degrees and lots of experience. But I wonder how many of these teachers will continue to teach for a long period of time after they relocate or are they just there for a few more years to suppliment their pensions and how many of them are really enthusiastic about teaching after 30 years at the same job.

Last edited by ssd3; 06-02-2008 at 05:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: