Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 12:26 PM

329 posts, read 1,271,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC to NC View Post
Hi Kansas Chick,

Welcome to North Carolina! I too am from Kansas. Lived there my whole life until June 2007. Actually in Kansas City we lived on the Missouri border the last 12 years but still say I am from Kansas. Probably from my college roots that I will never say I'm from Missouri. Such rivalry there and some of my best girlfriends that I made in KC went to MU! If we didn't move to North Carolina, we would have moved back over to the Kansas border for the schools since we have 3 little ones that will be entering school soon.

I hope you like Charlotte. I too have been lurking on the Charlotte forum as we could move there in the next year with my husband's job. We currently live in the Raleigh area and I love it here! I'm sure I will like Charlotte just as much with it being a bigger city feel like Kansas City. I do miss going out to eat on the Country Club Plaza or one of the neighborhood restaurants in Fairway or Prairie Village. We lived in the Rockhill/Brookside area (55th & Main) in Kansas City. I loved running 6 - 8 miles with friends on the weekends through the beautiful 100 year old homes in the Country Club/Brookside area. I gave up running outside here where we live as there aren't continuous sidewalks and if I run in the road I risk my life with no shoulders to run on. So I run inside on a track at the YMCA here. But boy is the weather beautiful here! My friends in KC were so envious when they were having snow fall even on Easter day and my kids were outside playing in beautiful weather.

I see you too have corresponded with Anifani. She is such a sweetheart and a huge resource. With all the transplants around here, you will have no trouble making friends. We love it here! Good luck with your move!
Hi KC to NC - nice to meet another Kansan I won't call you a Missourian Not a big MU fan either. I went to OU (Oklahoma) and KSU. KU is okay I suppose

I love the Charlotte area every time I visit. It is going to be hotter than heck this visit - but I still can't wait.

Moving in October to the Fort Mill area. If you are thinking of moving I would check that area out - reminds me more of the Kansas area - but there are also some nice older neighborhoods in the Charlotte side (don't know their names) that remind my of the Fairway/Prairie Village/Country Club Plaza area.

I live a little further west in Shawnee. I love this forum. It is so active and everyone is very friendly and helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Oops...have fun at Lake Wylie!
Well I just said the lake so I most people probably thought that it was Lake Norman Never been, but looking forward to it once I move. I have heard it is a lot like Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri.

Love Lake Wylie - but I know it is a lot smaller than Lake Norman.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:31 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,553,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasChick View Post
Well I just said the lake so I most people probably thought that it was Lake Norman Never been, but looking forward to it once I move. I have heard it is a lot like Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri.

Love Lake Wylie - but I know it is a lot smaller than Lake Norman.
NP...3 lakes in Charlotte area...

Lake Norman
Mountain Island Lake
Lake Wylie

Old 06-06-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
NP...3 lakes in Charlotte area...

Lake Norman
Mountain Island Lake
Lake Wylie
Hmm so where is Mountain Island Lake?

Old 06-06-2008, 01:15 PM

Okay - I see Mountian Island Lake is a smaller lake between the other two.

Down to less than an hour of work. Have a couple of hours in the airport though because of when I can catch a ride - but the airport bar and my laptop will keep me company - and the KC airport has free wi-fi!

Old 06-06-2008, 06:46 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Just found your post - have been away from computer today . . . and just posting in case you land on a laptop while you are here in CLT. Just sending greetings and good wishes for a terrific weekend w/ your friends!!!

PS. DH is a Mizzou grad!!!!! But he taught at KU . . . so that kind of evens things up, I hope.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:39 PM

84 posts, read 370,778 times
Default Good luck in Fort Mill!

Quote:
Hi KC to NC - nice to meet another Kansan I won't call you a Missourian Not a big MU fan either. I went to OU (Oklahoma) and KSU. KU is okay I suppose

I love the Charlotte area every time I visit. It is going to be hotter than heck this visit - but I still can't wait.

Moving in October to the Fort Mill area. If you are thinking of moving I would check that area out - reminds me more of the Kansas area - but there are also some nice older neighborhoods in the Charlotte side (don't know their names) that remind my of the Fairway/Prairie Village/Country Club Plaza area.

I live a little further west in Shawnee. I love this forum. It is so active and everyone is very friendly and helpful.
I am definitely looking at Fort Mill as some of my neighbors here in Fuquay (south of Raleigh) are from Florida and told me that there is an area in Fort Mill that reminds them of the Celebration area that they moved from. Our sub where I live now is a very small version of it. I am researching all over Charlotte right now, especially north of Charlotte (where my husband would be working) from the great info I have gathered from the posteres on city-data. I hope you enjoy Fort Mill, it sounds great!

BTW, we are big OU fans too. Three generations of my husband's family went there and he broke it by going to KU. My husband's father has been a football season ticket holder forever and never misses a game (even on the road). I grew up in Wichita and always saw KSU as KU's big rivalry. Lots of friends that went to KSU too. I learned upon moving to Kansas City how big the MU vs. KU rivalry was. It is all so much fun during football and basketball seasons. It feels very much like that around here in Raleigh b/w UNC, Duke & NCState. There are many awesome colleges around here for kids to choose among.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just found your post - have been away from computer today . . . and just posting in case you land on a laptop while you are here in CLT. Just sending greetings and good wishes for a terrific weekend w/ your friends!!!

PS. DH is a Mizzou grad!!!!! But he taught at KU . . . so that kind of evens things up, I hope.
Hi Ani,

Just got back in town. Sad to leave Had a great time even with the hot weather.

The party went great. She was so surprised and couldn't believe I was there. They had chartered a house boat to cruise Lake Wylie for 3 hours with lots of beverages and catered food from Qdobas. Picked everyone up at T-Bones.

Towards the end they planned it to go by a particular place on the lake where they had a fireworks show. After the boat ride several people went up to the Roadhouse.

Picked up some Cheerwine when I got in town and had it with vodka. Nothing fancy, but it was good and now I can say I tried it.

Now I am Recovering and detoxing from the weekend

So an MU grad working at KU, that had to have been tough for him

Old 06-10-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC to NC View Post
I am definitely looking at Fort Mill as some of my neighbors here in Fuquay (south of Raleigh) are from Florida and told me that there is an area in Fort Mill that reminds them of the Celebration area that they moved from. Our sub where I live now is a very small version of it. I am researching all over Charlotte right now, especially north of Charlotte (where my husband would be working) from the great info I have gathered from the posteres on city-data. I hope you enjoy Fort Mill, it sounds great!

BTW, we are big OU fans too. Three generations of my husband's family went there and he broke it by going to KU. My husband's father has been a football season ticket holder forever and never misses a game (even on the road). I grew up in Wichita and always saw KSU as KU's big rivalry. Lots of friends that went to KSU too. I learned upon moving to Kansas City how big the MU vs. KU rivalry was. It is all so much fun during football and basketball seasons. It feels very much like that around here in Raleigh b/w UNC, Duke & NCState. There are many awesome colleges around here for kids to choose among.
My guess is the neighborhood is Baxter Village - it does kind of remind me of Celebration. The whole Fort Mill/Tega Cay/Lake Wylie is so relaxed and laid back in my opinion.

I bet your father-in-law wasn't too happy to find out his son was going to KU. My parents met at KSU and when I cheer for OU over KSU they get very upset. One of the big 12 championship games that was at Arrowhead when KSU and OU were playing each other, I sat on the OU side and my mom was so mad - she told me that if KSU wins, which they did, I guess you don't want to go to the Feista bowl with the rest of the family.

I was cheering for the school with the better record and a chance for a National title - OU had a chance, KSU didn't.

I gotta get back to work!

Old 06-10-2008, 12:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Hi Ani,

Just got back in town. Sad to leave Had a great time even with the hot weather.

The party went great. She was so surprised and couldn't believe I was there. They had chartered a house boat to cruise Lake Wylie for 3 hours with lots of beverages and catered food from Qdobas. Picked everyone up at T-Bones.

Towards the end they planned it to go by a particular place on the lake where they had a fireworks show. After the boat ride several people went up to the Roadhouse.

Picked up some Cheerwine when I got in town and had it with vodka. Nothing fancy, but it was good and now I can say I tried it.

Now I am Recovering and detoxing from the weekend

So an MU grad working at KU, that had to have been tough for him
Heeeeyyy!

I am on IM right now w/ a client in KCMO!!!

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend - and that your friend had a terrific party - WOO HOO!!!! Fireworks and all . . .

And you tried Cheerwine! How funny! It is different, isn't it????

Yeah, DH survived b/c he proved he was a KU fan, LOL. We just laid low in football season . . . and we are big KU basketball fans so no prob w/ that . ..

Hope you have a good week back in Kansas City . . . hopefully no big storms . . . and I promise - the weather is usually quite a bit cooler here than there! You just hit us in a very strange weather pattern . . .

I will be heading out to KC soon, I expect - business. I need a Plaza fix, LOL!!!! And a trip w/ my g/friends to the boats . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: