Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 12:14 PM

330 posts, read 1,036,312 times

Advertisements

We keep a spotless house, despite having three dogs. However, a couple of nights ago, we noticed that tiny, brownish bugs thought it was a good idea to crawl up through the drains (two sinks, shower and bathtub) in the master bathroom. I thought they might be clover mites, but they did not turn red when squished.

My wife poured clorox down the drains which seems to have put at least a temporary halt on their invasion. I do not want to see them come back but am not sure how they even got there in the first place.

Anyone ever seen anything like this, and if so, what did you do about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 12:18 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,951,731 times
They maybe silverfish

Silverfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We had them too as well as just about everyone on our street. We all now have pest control

Old 06-14-2008, 12:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
If it is silverfish this website has some preventive measures.
How to Get Rid of Silverfish

Old 06-14-2008, 01:19 PM

999 posts, read 4,652,634 times
Our neighborhood has had a recent (and last spring/summer) invasion of springtails
image here: http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardand...gtails-ygl.JPG

in the sinks, tubs etc.
Nothing seems to kill them, my neighbors who had the exterminator come out several times had at least as many in their house as I did mine....I did buy some products online:
springtail control, Springtail Control, SPRINGTAIL CONTROL, springtail control, Springtail Control, SRPINGTAIL CONTROL, springtails, Springtails, SPRINGTAILS, SPRING TAIL CONTROL, spring tail control, springtail infestation, Springtail Infestation, S
and they did kill the ones they came in direct contact with but did not prevent any more from coming in.

They do not eat our food, or bother people, nor do they go where it's "dirty" so extra cleaning doesn't help, they are just bothersome to have in your home. They have almost gone from our house, they didn't disappear til mid July last year, maybe this early heat is killing them off.
Good luck!

Old 06-14-2008, 08:29 PM

330 posts, read 1,036,312 times
Those are about the right size.

God, I hate bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
Our neighborhood has had a recent (and last spring/summer) invasion of springtails
image here: http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardand...gtails-ygl.JPG

in the sinks, tubs etc.
Nothing seems to kill them, my neighbors who had the exterminator come out several times had at least as many in their house as I did mine....I did buy some products online:
springtail control, Springtail Control, SPRINGTAIL CONTROL, springtail control, Springtail Control, SRPINGTAIL CONTROL, springtails, Springtails, SPRINGTAILS, SPRING TAIL CONTROL, spring tail control, springtail infestation, Springtail Infestation, S
and they did kill the ones they came in direct contact with but did not prevent any more from coming in.

They do not eat our food, or bother people, nor do they go where it's "dirty" so extra cleaning doesn't help, they are just bothersome to have in your home. They have almost gone from our house, they didn't disappear til mid July last year, maybe this early heat is killing them off.
Good luck!

Old 06-14-2008, 10:25 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,378,296 times
So...that's what those little bugs were by my bathroom sink the other day! I sprayed them with Tilex (1st thing I had on hand to grab) & killed them all. Haven't seen anymore...yet.

BxRosie

Old 06-15-2008, 07:08 PM

201 posts, read 804,123 times
We also have suffered the invasion of Springtails. I had never heard of such a thing until this year.

We had them in VERY large numbers, up until a few days ago. My master bathtub would literally have hundreds of them in it on a regular basis and there were alway a number to be found in the sinks and toilets. Yuck!

I did have my pest control company come out on Wednesday and I haven't seen a single bug in the past two days! Not only did they spray inside, but they sprayed our entire lawn area. Our condo association recently did a lawn renovation treatment, which included placing hay down for seed coverage...and the exterminator said that could be why we were "invaded". Apparantly, the Springtails can typically infest new hay and mulch and then find their way into your home.

My fingers are crossed that they stay away.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:59 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,951,731 times
Yes it was Sprintails I was trying to think of. We too had to go the pest control route! The stuff at Lowe's wold kill them on contact but would not keep them away. The pest control came in one time sprayed and I have not seen one since.

Amazing really.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:25 AM

364 posts, read 1,167,977 times
In the subdivision I live there has been a massive "invasion" of springtails. Apparently even UNC is working on pest control solutions for them. We finally hired a pest control company last week (after trying everything under the sun ourselves). We have hardly seen a bug since then! Hopefully, with continued treatments it will stay that way!

Old 06-16-2008, 08:22 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,096 times
I just have to say.. I read the subject line and I thought it said Brain Drugs.. and I was like.. ooh where!!!

I am getting a few too many critters lately and getting new services starting next week. Spiders are pretty, but tick me off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte