Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2007, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,952 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband and I are considering re-locating to concord. We are fairly liberal and non-religious. We have been ostracized for this in the current small town we have lived for a year (20k people). Any thoughts on whether we would be accepted as good moral people who happen to not attend church?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 05:25 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,834,554 times
you will be fine. Good Luck on your search

Old 01-12-2007, 07:28 AM

46 posts, read 202,989 times
We are the same kind of family (non-religious, lean to the left of center). We are an oddity b/c we do not go to church, but we don't really feel judged.

As far as politics are concerned, the outlying areas are far more conservative than the inner core. In the last Presidential election, the city of Charlotte we democrat, while the other towns in the county went Republican. I can't say you will be ostracized, but you may want to avoid talking politics with your neighbors

Old 01-12-2007, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,952 times
If we move there we will have to have u for dinner. We need to stick together!

Old 01-13-2007, 05:01 PM

473 posts, read 1,578,721 times
Red face Religion/politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinch74 View Post
Hello. My husband and I are considering re-locating to concord. We are fairly liberal and non-religious. We have been ostracized for this in the current small town we have lived for a year (20k people). Any thoughts on whether we would be accepted as good moral people who happen to not attend church?
I wouldn't talk religion or politics with anyone if you can help it. But a big topic here is "What church do you attend?" I politely tell them I don't and change the subject. Being in the "bible belt", you are apt to be asked this question. I've even been asked it in Tampa, FL.

I have friends that live on the border of Harrisburg/Concord, and she said there were race issues in her neighborhood, such as intentional segregation (by choice). I haven't personally experienced this but imagine it can happen anywhere. It might be here neighborhood, too.

Concord is a nice area. I live in Huntersville and go there for shopping at Concord Mills Mall and the little plaza across the street (Don't know what it's called but it has a Linen 'N Things). CCMM has Bed Bath and Beyond and they are very close to eachother but still in separate plazas. Not far from there is the track. Seems like there's plenty to do in the area.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:54 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,364 times
Concord is fairly religious and conservative, but accepting. Some liberals can be just as "judgemental" as some conservatives, trust me. But you'll be fine here. We'd love to have you!!!

Old 01-15-2007, 06:27 AM

113 posts, read 343,725 times
I visited the university area in Charlotte and I felt the same thing about the segregation? Is it like this in all of Charlotte? It was weird because we live in a town where White people are becoming the minority. I am not racist just curious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte