Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:12 PM

23 posts, read 57,573 times

Advertisements

Is anyone aware of any ceremonies happening this year in Charlotte to mark the 9/11 anniversary? I was at the World Trade Center that morning and just moved to Charlotte last year. I am looking for a place to go to mark the anniversary if anyone has any information.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 09:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,529,774 times
Have not heard of anything, but if I do, I will post it. Maybe some of our churches will hold a prayer service . . .

BTW - hope you like it here in Charlotte.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:43 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,856,481 times
I'm sorry to say that I think much of the country will let it pass unobserved. The 5, 10, 15 yr marks are the big ones.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:57 AM

518 posts, read 2,062,044 times
How quickly everyone forgets.

The flags flying on cars, houses, so patriotic.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:09 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,412,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastone View Post
How quickly everyone forgets.

The flags flying on cars, houses, so patriotic.

I don't think it's a matter of anyone forgetting but more that it's kinda time to start moving forward from these remembrances. Reading the names at Ground Zero every single year is overkill. If people want to have their own moment of silence, that's awesome. To stop things for some official or sanctioned gathering/remembrance is getting a little stale.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:41 AM

23 posts, read 57,573 times
Well, I of course given my experience am a little biased here, but I truly believe that as long as we are under attack by radical Islam these ceremonies should continue so that the country remembers how vulnerable we are to being attacked from out of the blue.

I don;t want to turn this into a political thread as I am sincerely interested in just finding a place for remembrance. If you want to reply to what I just wrote please hold off or just send me a PM as I don't want this thread to get deleted!

Thanks.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:20 AM

I guess I'm talking more about the Patriotism that all American's seemed to have then.

love of and/or devotion to one's country = Patriotism

Old 09-04-2009, 08:30 AM

285 posts, read 800,831 times
we fly our flag EVERY DAY

I find Sept 11th very difficult, as I think most people from NY do. I think its hard on everybody , but I do feel that being so close to it is just different

it is not overkill to remember the innocent that just got up that day to go do their thing, as well as the weeks that followed, watching Firemen and policemen walking down our street to go to the funerals of their fallen brothers.

"Land of the Free, because of the Brave"

Old 09-04-2009, 11:36 AM

I worked in the Pentagon during the mid 80's. I found myself looking at the list of those that perished, I was blessed that no one I worked with was on that list. I plan on visiting the memorial at the Pentagon in Ocotober. My brother and his 5 month pregnant wife were at FBI HQ in Washington, DC, my Dad was nearby at his job. I remember that day like it was yesterday. My brother-in-law is currently in Kabul, serving in the National Guard, we pray for his safety as well as all of the men and women over there. He is due to be home in April, we'll see about that, I sure hope so.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:59 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,468,054 times
The tricky line to walk here is do we make an official national "holiday" and effectively let the terrorists shut us down once a day every year? Or do we not do anything and let the event slip into the history books? The middle of the road is very tough to find and stay on.

I am of the mindset of remembrance for the purpose of staying energized and aware of the threats that are still seeking us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte