Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 06:18 PM

3 posts, read 9,473 times

Advertisements

Can someone give me an clear and honest view of the areas of Charlotte called Dillworth and Elizabeth. Are they good areas to live in? I am not worried about schools but I am about property values and easy of living. The more you can tell me the more helpful it will be.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 06:43 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Can someone give me an clear and honest view of the areas of Charlotte called Dillworth and Elizabeth. Are they good areas to live in? I am not worried about schools but I am about property values and easy of living. The more you can tell me the more helpful it will be.

Thanks
Lottie, these are two VERY desirable areas in Charlotte. If you can afford to buy in either you would most likely enjoy a nice steady appreciation just like has existed there for years As far as "easy living", if you work uptown you can't hardly get an easier commute. Both neighborhoods are very convenient to the main hospitals and are beautiful for their old homes with beautiful established yards and big trees.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:54 PM

I have gone to the Dillworth Community site and it says that Dillworth has had to hire community police because of crime. This concerns me because I have always lived in cities I understand city crime but this seems like the area is being hit hard by crime increase.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I have gone to the Dillworth Community site and it says that Dillworth has had to hire community police because of crime. This concerns me because I have always lived in cities I understand city crime but this seems like the area is being hit hard by crime increase.
We should all be so lucky to live in neighborhoods where #1) people care so much about keeping crime out of their neighborhood and #2) so many people CAN AFFORD to hire private extra security!

Dilworth and Elizabeth are inner city neighborhoods just 2-4 minutes out of uptown. They have been stable, desirable places to live for decades now. Most homes sell for well over $500,000. Unfortunately, we began to have a rash of crime like breakins and car thefs in some of our nicest neighborhoods ALL over Charlotte in the last 12 months - it has been very frustrating for everyone. However, we have hired a new police chief just one month ago who comes to us with a very impressive record. I think everyone is excited to see what kinds of changes he will implement to get those crimes back to much smaller numbers. I don't know of anyone who has moved out of either neighborhood over the uptick in activity - people love living there. It would just be wise to remember, however, they are both more urban type neighorhoods and general precautions should always be taken.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:13 PM

Thank you

Old 07-06-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Thank you
Good luck in your home search! I hope others will chime in to give you some more opinions later tonight or tomorrow. Things tend to be slow around here on the weekends

Old 07-06-2008, 07:32 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,912,058 times
If I had the $$, I would move into either neighborhood in a heartbeat. Homes are till being renovated in Elizabeth, so you can probably get a better deal financially than in Dilworth. Dilworth was at the same place that Elizabeth is now ten years ago. Don't worry about the crime - IMO it's really exaggerated. I think that you currently hear a a lot about it because for a longtime there was hardly any crime in Dilworth and then BANG! there were a few widely publicized events. Everyone became alarmed.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziewong View Post
Both areas are located close to downtown Charlotte, NC. They both are very nice area. Home price ranges minimum 300K up to a million. Both areas have many houses built 1940's and 50's, but many area remodeled or demolished/rebuilt. Small house could mean 800 -1200sf. Even if these old houses are awsom w/ lots of characters.

Elizabeth area is going through many changes, expecially the road is being repaired. Presbyterian Hospital, Mercy Hospital, and main campus of CPCC (Carolina Piedmont Community College) is nearby.

If you like to live near dowtown of Charlotte and very trendy area, this is it! If you need any more help, send me an email.
Susiewong - not trying to argue, only striving to add accuracy to the conversation okay?

Dilworth and Myers Park (it's ritzier neighbor) are both over 100 years old. They were in fact, the first "suburbs" of Charlotte. Many homes were built along the way of course, or in some cases in recent years totally torn down and rebuilt - but it would not be fair to say that Dilworth or Elizabeth have homes mostly from the 40's and 50's. As far as Elizabeth goes, those home are all 1930's bungalow's for the most part.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:25 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:

Why private security services:

Cop: Why did you rob the bank?
Bad Guy: Because that's where the money is!

Old 07-07-2008, 07:17 AM

327 posts, read 1,198,170 times
Agree with most posts that Dilworth and Elizabeth are very nice neighborhoods. I too would live in either if I could afford to do so. That said, I think it's only fair to point out that like anywhere in the City, you need to be careful what part of the neighborhood you live in. for example, Elizabeth is great, but it's southern extent (out along 7th / Monroe Road) borders Grier Heights, which is not a good area. Likewise, my experience with Dilworth is that the fringe closer to South Blvd. may have a bit more crime than the interior of the neighborhood near Freedom Park. Just though it fair to point it out. Still, VERY nice neighborhoods indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte