Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 04:55 PM

9 posts, read 22,834 times

Advertisements

Good Evening,

Let me get you up to speed. I have been reading through threads and Google mapping the south Charlotte metro for over two months now. I have found tons of great information within these sources. I have been in and around the Queen City twice this past month: once after hiking some of the AT in the GSMNP and a visit with a friend south of Columbia, and a couple of weeks ago I was flown in for a techie job relative to my years of schooling (avoiding the real world). The position is located in a corporate park adjacent to the corner of Pineville-Matthews and Providence. This is the area where the Arboretum is located, of which you are certainly aware.

I viewed a few properties at Atkins Circle, Piper Station, and Crestmont at Ballantyne. I had the opportunity to experience the nightmare that is consumer frenzy-driven traffic at both Stonecrest and Carolina Place (I have an ongoing love affair with REI). I hiked a little bit at Crowders Mountain State Park, zipped along with traffic on 85, 77, and 485 throughout varied times of the day, tried to find a “Boogertown” sign to strike a lewd pose (as I am 29-going-on-12), attempted to cram a rack of ribs from The Q Shack (with varied sauces I might add) into my gullet, saw the potential of the cuisine yet the need to change the fryer grease at Great Wall of China (off Carmel Rd.), and ultimately I have grown to like the potential I see in a city I would be happy to call my own.

Charlotte reminds me of my hometown metro of Cleveland, minus the lake-effect snow and economic fallout. Plus the chief architects that constructed the Bank of America building also put up Cleveland’s Key Bank building, so the cities look similar aesthetically. For the past two years I have been way up in the northern prairies of Grand Forks, North Dakota working on obtaining my Masters. The whole state of ND has fewer people than Charlotte city proper, and the winters are a little less mild. The people are amazing and the southwestern part of the state earned Teddy Roosevelt another avid fan. However, if this company I am trying to work for brings me on, then my attention will completely focus on the Hornet’s Nest. I already know the big perks: A few hours to the Appalachians or the Atlantic, fresh seafood, urban opportunities, a hefty Browns Backers club for football season, a long autumn, culture, and much closer to my family via a straight shot up 77 or over to the vacation home in Kill Devil Hills.

The company, again, is near the Arboretum (Pineville-Matthews and Providence) but the area isn’t the most attractive for living. I am not in the market for buying a house, so I am limited to apartment communities and those near there do not get great reviews. The biggest thing is trying to be close to work (< 10 mi.) but work may seek to relocate to Ballantyne. So, I am thinking about a short lease for now (1 yr.) and if the company relocates somewhere other than Ballantyne in that time, I relocate with a year of local knowledge. For now, I need to know where to start.

I liked Piper Station over the Ballantyne properties (is Piper Glenn its own neighborhood?) but both areas didn’t seem like the right fit. The Ballantyne demographic seemed more pretentious than I am seeking and just not my scene. Plus they have called me numerous times about securing an apartment before they are all gone. I don’t appreciate high-pressure. I didn’t get to check out Matthews, but Paces Commons has great reviews and is under five miles from work. I really like the iMatthews website and the artsy feel. I also like the proximity to a large farmers market and downtown (I will refuse to call downtown “uptown”!). I know there is lamenting over the urbanization of your smaller suburban areas, and I too wish we could pay more attention to harmonizing with our surroundings instead of flattening it. Speaking of which, is there an IKEA in Charlotte? All comedy aside, I can put up with traffic, and seriously, is there an IKEA?

This is what I want: a 1bd < $700/mo. that isn’t going to be a disaster, feline friendly, relatively quiet with minimal riffraff, that is < 10 miles from work and within walking distance to shopping. I desire access to the arts, parks, good coffee, fresh produce, and a community that is more cultural than fancy. Think artsy-fartsy, or if you’ve ever been to northeast Ohio, think Kent. Bike-friendly areas and greenways are a definite plus, but from reading the various Meck. and NCDOT projects it seems there isn’t a lot of that…yet. The bar scene is not the type of place I would seek out, however a nice restaurant where you can meet friends for appetizers and a bottle of wine or hear some jazz would be dandy.

Is Paces Commons situated to meet some of those requirements? Is Piper Station nicer? Are there other places that I should seek? Is there anywhere in Charlotte where one can obtain kosher bagels? I am more concerned about a nice apartment for a 30 yr. old trying to establish himself than the bagels though.

Please advise.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 05:19 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,877,068 times
I can't help you on the issues in the communities you are considering, but the Charlotte Greenway system is large, and ever expanding. The Mallard Greenway is large, and I use it often when I am home in Charlotte.

Park and Rec Greenways (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Greenways/Home.htm - broken link)

Ikea is being built in Northeast Charlotte just off I-85 at City Blvd. Good luck with your possible move.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:07 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,501,343 times
I had to chuckle over your bagel comment.

Try here: Gleiberman's Kosher Mart & Restaurant

Their store is located just off Providence Road.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:22 AM

264 posts, read 919,103 times
Matthews is not really artsy. The Farmer's Market is not large -- but it is nice -- and it's only open for a few hours early on Sat. mornings. If you wait till 10 am you've missed out, pretty much.

It sounds to me like you might like South End, Dilworth, Elizabeth or even Plaza Midwood. All the neighborhoods you have mentioned are suburban and family friendly. If you want a great location near Matthews and near Ballantyne, where you can walk to all kinds of shopping, some good restaurants and not have to even venture out on major roads, look into Promenade Park apartments. There is Arooji's Wine Room, Wolfgang Puck's, some chain restaurants like On the Border and Macaroni Grill, Starbucks, Home Depot, Lowe's Foods, Linens & Things and other stores and restaurants. The apartments and shopping literally share a parking lot, so you could walk. There's a lively weekend scene, though again, mostly couples and families.

This is the shopping center where you found Q Shack .

There is also a large complex diagonally across Providence Rd called Promenade Park (I think) that might be a little cheaper but after looking at their rates, there's nothing near 700/mo.

If Starbucks and chain stores are not your thing, you maybe should look at some other areas of town. For price, why not the Arboretum area? It's only about 3 mi from where these two are but I bet the prices are cheaper because the units are not as new.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:27 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,984,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaminsitu View Post
Think artsy-fartsy, or if you’ve ever been to northeast Ohio, think Kent.
Kent, OH doesn't conjure up artsy-fartsy to me & I lived there for 4 years attending KSU. But I'd concur with others who've suggested the Southend or NoDa.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:58 AM

The $700 a month is negotiable. Really it all depends on what the offer is with this company. I am single, but I have some debts I want to negate and start being responsible by putting into a 401k. My greatest concern is living above my means. I don't want to save money by being in a shady section of town either (or a nice spot right next to a shady section). I do want the arts, but I am realistic in knowing that flavor isn't abundant and something I likely wouldn't want to sample during most weekdays. Living near downtown really doesn't interest me (although accessibility is key), and I didn't see Piper Station as anything teeming with culture; it's more like lovely landscaping, shopping complexes, and golfing. But, I would be content walking (sprinting) across Rea Rd into Stoncrest to get my groceries from the Super Target or catch an $8 matinee. Promenade Park looks really nice as well, but rent starts at $810. The Arboretum Apartments are right by work, but the reviews look mixed. Anyone know more about them? I am looking to stay in the southern portion of the metro to combat a commute and gas consumption.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Kent, OH doesn't conjure up artsy-fartsy to me & I lived there for 4 years attending KSU. But I'd concur with others who've suggested the Southend or NoDa.

Well, compared to the rest of Portage County, Kent had a museum, art walks, outdoor concerts in the square, family owned coffee shops, and non-chain eating opportunities. I still crave Taco Tantos. I got my Bachelor's at KSU as well.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:34 AM

51 posts, read 167,473 times
iaminsitu- I am from Cleveland too! I moved from Aurora to Charlotte a little over a year ago. I would like to suggest The area around Park Rd/Sharon Rd West. There are quite a few apartement/town homes complexes which are in walking distance of grocery, coffee, etc and close to everything ( including lightrail). If you're looking for artsy ( Think Tremont and not Kent) then you would want to check out Noda but you won't be close to work and it is a developing area. Good luck!!

Old 08-05-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwomg View Post
iaminsitu- I am from Cleveland too! I moved from Aurora to Charlotte a little over a year ago. I would like to suggest The area around Park Rd/Sharon Rd West. There are quite a few apartement/town homes complexes which are in walking distance of grocery, coffee, etc and close to everything ( including lightrail). If you're looking for artsy ( Think Tremont and not Kent) then you would want to check out Noda but you won't be close to work and it is a developing area. Good luck!!
I grew up in Mantua! The Crossing at Quail Hollow looks nice, is 7 miles from work, and is around my 1bd rate. Are there opinions of this property? Other areas in that neighborhood? I really appreciate everyone's input. I am sold on the city, I just want to narrow it down.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:39 AM

22 posts, read 87,767 times
Have you looked at the Fairways at Piper Glen. They are located right behind a small shopping complex with Trader Joes, Starbucks, and a couple nice restaurants and shops. Off of Rea Rd between Hwy 51 and Stonecrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte