Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,954 times

Advertisements

what is up with the detention pond in Crismark. It is not taken care of. should Henderson properties be taking care of it? It should be planted and watered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 07:26 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,810 times
9 times out of 10, the HOA is responsible for pond maintenance. It would have been established in the development agreement for the neighborhood...but most common residents wouldn't have that agreement. If there is no HOA, the responsibility may lie with the residents as a whole, or in the infrequent case, lie with the local municipality.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:50 AM
ADR

171 posts, read 518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatty kathy View Post
what is up with the detention pond in Crismark. It is not taken care of. should Henderson properties be taking care of it? It should be planted and watered.
I have a very dumb ?

What is a detention pond? I live in Crismark too.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:10 PM

A detention pond is a man-made area for treating storm water run-off. It allows sediment and pollutants to settle to the bottom of the pond before the excess water is sent on down the stream. It can also slow the amount of run-off leaving a neighborhood or parking lot (since more water wants to leave the site faster after you pave it or build things on it that don't allow rain to soak through into the ground). In our locale, you'll typically see rows of rock running through the ponds. This helps further slow the water and catch sediment.

People often mis-speak about these ponds. a DEtention pond does just like it sounds (think of grade school, what you got for being bad or tardy: detention). It detains the water for a short period. A REtention pond holds the water for a longer period of time (like your body can retain water). Retention ponds are typically designed to stay "wet" (full of water) all the time as long as there aren't drought condiitons (which lower the water table). In places with good permeable soil (like Florida), the ponds may be designed to be "dry" where they hold a large amount of water during a storm, don't allow it to leave the site, and let it perculate through the soil.

These ponds are the norm in places that are more prone to flooding or are more proactive to prevent flooding and reduce pollutant run-off. Places with topography (hills and mountains, like Charlotte) are less likely to have many ordinances requiring these ponds due to the water being able to flow downhill much more quickly. Flatter places (like Florida) may produce more run-off than the topography can handle and may cause flooding. Therefore, they need to have large pond areas to catch the excess rainfall.

...more than you ever wanted to know...

Old 07-22-2008, 04:27 PM

999 posts, read 4,653,772 times
Thanks for the education, I was clueless!

To the OP, I live in Crismark as well, and know of several of these ponds and they all look like c#@p....as does the entrance road off Idlewild.....a bit frustrating, I know. How are they going to encourage more sales in this market when many of the common areas look so bad? Someone can just as easily go to another development where things are better taken care of.
Maybe we should send a link to this topic to Eastwood/Henderson??

Old 07-22-2008, 04:34 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR View Post
I have a very dumb ?

What is a detention pond? I live in Crismark too.
Am I wrong...thought they were called REtention ponds?

Old 07-22-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Am I wrong...thought they were called REtention ponds?
The vast majority of man-made ponds in this region are REtention ponds (ponds designed to allow pollutants and sediment to settle and/or to reduce the amount of run-off form the site) as our soil and topography do not lend themselves well to easy design and/or construction of a DEtention pond. Detention ponds can sometimes require a larger footprint. You will find detention ponds moreso in areas with more sandy soil as well as areas that are "landlocked"--that is, they're a bowl in a topographic map, no positive drainage via a stream of river. The only way to prevent flooding is to either pump any excess storm water out of the bowl (basically to the top of the nearest ridge/hill) or to make big holding areas (detention ponds).

Old 07-22-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
Thanks for the education, I was clueless!

To the OP, I live in Crismark as well, and know of several of these ponds and they all look like c#@p....as does the entrance road off Idlewild.....a bit frustrating, I know. How are they going to encourage more sales in this market when many of the common areas look so bad? Someone can just as easily go to another development where things are better taken care of.
Maybe we should send a link to this topic to Eastwood/Henderson??
I would definitely complain to the HOA--or if the neighborhood is still under construction, to the builder. It will be a matter of who is responsible while the neighborhood finishes construction. Unfortunately, you might get caught in a finger-pointing contest between the builder and the HOA during that transition. If they had half a brain, then they would agree with your point of them losing sales due to crappy landscaping. To the average person, those ponds are just fancy landscape areas and need to be kept neat looking.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
The vast majority of man-made ponds in this region are REtention ponds (ponds designed to allow pollutants and sediment to settle and/or to reduce the amount of run-off form the site) as our soil and topography do not lend themselves well to easy design and/or construction of a DEtention pond. Detention ponds can sometimes require a larger footprint. You will find detention ponds moreso in areas with more sandy soil as well as areas that are "landlocked"--that is, they're a bowl in a topographic map, no positive drainage via a stream of river. The only way to prevent flooding is to either pump any excess storm water out of the bowl (basically to the top of the nearest ridge/hill) or to make big holding areas (detention ponds).
You learn something new every day Thanks for the explanation Steve!

Old 07-23-2008, 07:08 AM

531 posts, read 2,012,070 times
Crismark has not kept up with those ponds and has resulted in flooding the older development next to them a couple of years ago. That flooding resulted in $$$ of damages to some of the houses, mine being one of them. You would think after that disaster they would take better care of them knowing what the end result is. Has anyone thought of contacting the HOA or the town to see why they are not being kept up? I would truly hate to see another event like the one a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte