Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 10:15 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times

Advertisements

Don't feel bad...this last week we lost our internet connection and we have Windstream DSL. We were without any service for 4 days! We make our living online!! We called several times only to be connected to individuals in India that didn't have a clue as to what the problem was. We continued to ask to have a tech come out to our home and take a look. FINALLY on day 4 a tech came out, he was the nicest guy and very helpful..so unlike the rest of their company, and he told us there had been problems in the office. Why did no one tell us this? That I could have understood. After they had the office up and going for some reason it did something to our connection. At least Windstream doesn't have to worry about their customer service---they don't have any!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 10:52 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,911,764 times
We have Direct TV and we've never lost our service.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:52 AM

825 posts, read 2,820,346 times
Smile No problems here with the weather

I don't think in the 2 years I've lived in my house in Indian Land my cable television has ever gone out on account of weather. Cable internet has gone out maybe half a dozen times at most and even then it was a wide outage so it was back up within a day. I don't know if weather caused those or it was technical type stuff.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:55 AM

109 posts, read 397,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Doesn't have to be storming.....we have times just in normal TV where it will signal out and say something like, "Wait a moment...." with a black screen.

We have had a new line put in and 3 tech guys out.....still have problems.

Dawn
Is either low signal, not enough signal from street, or you have too many t.v.'s connected to the system. Cable companies don't tell you that they only provide enough signal to run 1 internet and 2 digital boxes reliably. After that it gets dicey.

I would tell them they can have their box back, if they can't get it to work reliably all the time. Would you stand for your electricity or water working 90% of the time. Nope. Sometimes people are paying more for cable than for those "essential" services. I have a simple rule: you don't get my money, if I'm not getting what I pay for.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:50 AM

152 posts, read 469,959 times
Oh man. We have dish here and every time we get a big storm we lose tv. Internet is dsl on phone line so no problem there. I told my husband we need cable because it drives me crazy to lose tv. Especially if we are recording something. I love my DVR. His comment is it only goes out a couple times a year. Which only happens during tornado, thunderstorm, or flood warnings. You know when you need the news to tell you what's going on.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:42 PM

109 posts, read 397,606 times
Oh, we could talk about this one forever. When I did cable work, I was always amazed at how simple the technololgy was on our end, yet how often the problems could never get fixed. The problem is that a lot of the solutions took replacing a line, reconfiguring a house, or something that took some time to complete. I would always get off late trying to really fix the problems. When I would train new guys they would say, "man, that's too much work". Once they got out of training many chose to follow the easy path of being box "switchers", or just outright lying to subs (short for subscriber) about the problem.

When we got our home, I installed everything from the side of my house in. I wouldn't even let the cable guy in my house. Unfortunately, very few people can wire their own houses, and even alot of the independant wiring companies don't do that great of a job.

Until they allow competetion into the cable field, the choices and quality of the service will be limited indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte