Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 06:55 AM

264 posts, read 918,181 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm full of complaints this morning. I appreciate the opportunity to vent - thanks for being here for me

My cable goes out with every storm or hard rain, and I'm really tired of that, too! With the cable goes the internet, and with the internet, the phone (I have VOIP/Vonage.)

Is this normal? It wasn't such an issue in the past year, with the drought and all, but now it's really getting to be a drag. I am going to price regular phone/DSL and satellite for the tv, just for grins. Thanks again.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 06:56 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,950,770 times
Nope and I have dish

Old 07-25-2008, 06:58 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,653,670 times
Nope.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:16 AM

109 posts, read 397,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solnechko View Post
I guess I'm full of complaints this morning. I appreciate the opportunity to vent - thanks for being here for me

My cable goes out with every storm or hard rain, and I'm really tired of that, too! With the cable goes the internet, and with the internet, the phone (I have VOIP/Vonage.)

Is this normal? It wasn't such an issue in the past year, with the drought and all, but now it's really getting to be a drag. I am going to price regular phone/DSL and satellite for the tv, just for grins. Thanks again.

I worked as tech in the cable industry. Have them check your "drop" (the main line that feeds your individual house). If there is a small nick in the line, just a little water can seep into the line and cause service interruption.

By the time the tech gets there the signal is fine, and the water has dried up. If your cable is underground, they won't even check it, so they don't have to dig up the wire...most cable guys (myself excluded) are lazy. Ask them to isolate your "drop" and do a signal leakage test. If the line has "ingress" signal leaking out, then your line probably has "egress" water or stray signals leaking in.

The only way to get it fixed, is to stay on them relentlessly, until they fix it. If it doesn't get fixed, threaten to (and be prepared to go to a dish). I hope this helps.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:21 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,488,747 times
solnecho - You shouldn't have to put up with this. You may have a loose connection in the box where your cable line enters your house or it may be getting wet and shorting out. If you don't have underground utilities by you, I'd suggest having TW look at the connection at the telephone pole too. If you ask some of your neighbors and they are experiencing the same problem, that will tell you the problem is at the "junction" where your signal and theirs meet. Scream - the squeaky wheel does get the grease! A few telephone calls may work wonders!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:29 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,721,860 times
Does your power completely go out or just your cable/internet/phone?

Old 07-25-2008, 07:45 AM

264 posts, read 918,181 times
Thanks everyone. I will call TW. Jack, it's just the cable, which takes with it the internet and phone.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:48 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
For nearly five years, we complained b/c our signal would go out or become very distorted. We have Time Warner. Finally, our fifth year of living here, they re-did the wiring from the street to our house. That has helped immensely. We still have trouble on occasion w/ our signal, but not w/ every rain.

I had to call several times a week for about four months consecutively, to finally get some action. I should have done this the first year we were here, but it is soooo interruptive to have the techs out here . . . so I would just give up and wait for things to dry out - cause our signal always improved once the rain was over for xx hours.

I have my DSL w/ BellSouth so I didn't lose internet while the cable was out.

Just keep calling - as in - daily if necessary. I got up during the middle of the night when we had storms, checked the TV and when the signal was screwy, I called them at 3 am. I just kept it up til someone listened. Maybe you will not have to go to these lengths but that is what I suggest to get some action.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:57 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,962 times
My cable tv seems to stay on but lately my internet has been buggy. I am getting ready to make a call. This in Huntersville of Beatties.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:06 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,487,862 times
Doesn't have to be storming.....we have times just in normal TV where it will signal out and say something like, "Wait a moment...." with a black screen.

We have had a new line put in and 3 tech guys out.....still have problems.

Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte