Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2008, 10:54 AM

5 posts, read 15,434 times

Advertisements

Hi
I am currently located in Harlem,New York . NYC has chewed me up and spit me out for the last time and now I would like to relocate to the wonderful city of Charlotte,NC next year at the end of the summer. I am a single mom to 2 beautiful children 8yrs. and 1yr. I willl be entering Medical Assisting school this September. I would like to know is it hard to land a job in that particular line of work in Charlotte and is wanting a salary of $28,800 to much to ask for. I am currently working as a waitress to save up for downpayment on a home can anyone let me know of any working class neighborhoods that are safe with good school system. I would appreciate any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 11:11 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,379,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ.PATTYCAKE View Post
Hi
I am currently located in Harlem,New York . NYC has chewed me up and spit me out for the last time and now I would like to relocate to the wonderful city of Charlotte,NC next year at the end of the summer. I am a single mom to 2 beautiful children 8yrs. and 1yr. I willl be entering Medical Assisting school this September. I would like to know is it hard to land a job in that particular line of work in Charlotte and is wanting a salary of $28,800 to much to ask for. I am currently working as a waitress to save up for downpayment on a home can anyone let me know of any working class neighborhoods that are safe with good school system. I would appreciate any advice
Hi MzPattyCake,

I went to a MA school in NYC many years ago, which one will you be attending? When I went, it was only a diploma course, you will need to be certified to work here. I've thought about going back to school at one of the community colleges here to get my certification.

You can check the Charlotte Observer online for their classifieds section & also check on Craigs List. There are quite a few CMA & CNA opportunities out there in various salary ranges in both hospitals & private practice.

GOOD LUCK to you!

BxRosie

Old 07-26-2008, 12:20 PM

151 posts, read 693,561 times
MZ.PATTYCAKE,

We are in the same boat. My hubby may get relocated to NC and I also am in NYC. I am taking a phlebotomy course right now and have been checking the hospital websites in the RTP and can tell you I see plenty of jobs for MAs. You will have to be certified and the pay can range depending on what hospital, medical office and hours you work. But you could definitely make that money down in the Carolinas. Good luck!

P.S.

Isnt it unfortunate how NYC is chewing up the middle and lower class folks?

Old 07-26-2008, 02:30 PM

26 posts, read 62,571 times
I am a medical/surgical assistant relocating to charlotte after nov. for a job offer. I am not certified but am fortunate enough to have experience for 28 yrs in the field of derm and skin cancer surgery. The money I was offered will be more than what you mentioned but I feel you could make that. I would highly recommend being certified and regret not doing so myself but right now it would not really bring me anymore money.
However, my hubby will be coming without a job. Well.....he actually may be transferred. He works at a furniture store that has 6-7 locations in charlotte so we are hoping he could transfer there while looking for another job making more money. He actually is in interior design so hoping to land a job in sales in charlotte. Good luck to you. You will enjoy charlotte weather over ny.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:37 PM

26 posts, read 62,571 times
Forgot to mention you may want to check out Pineville. I have heard people say it is charlotte's best kept small town secret. There is a big mall there though. I checked the schools out and the rating is 6 out of 10 but I am not gonna go by that alone because my district here in ohio is an 8 but my daughters elem school is a 6 and i don;t believe it cuz her school is great and she has excelled there. Not sure what harlems ratings are to compare. I visited Pineville when i went to charlotte in may for nephews wedding and liked it. the housing seemed affordable but i have a 2 income family. It has a small town feeling but very close to charlotte. Good luck. go to greatschools.net

Old 07-26-2008, 07:40 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you so much for your responses and advice. I will be attending Wood-Tobe Coburn school which is an accredited school that will allow me to sit for the certification exam. I do admit I am a little afraid to leave but my heart is telling me to do so and I just want a better life for my kids and myself. Hopefully I can get more than 28800 because I really want my children to have their own home. Thanks to all of you that responded I really appreciate it.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:34 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,379,701 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for your responses and advice. I will be attending Wood-Tobe Coburn school which is an accredited school that will allow me to sit for the certification exam. I do admit I am a little afraid to leave but my heart is telling me to do so and I just want a better life for my kids and myself. Hopefully I can get more than 28800 because I really want my children to have their own home. Thanks to all of you that responded I really appreciate it.

Then follow your heart MzPattyCake! There's lots of good, affordable, safe places for you & your family to rent or purchase here. You should have not problem finding a job in your field. Good Luck with your studies & certification. Keep us posted!

BxRosie

Old 07-26-2008, 10:58 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you BXrosie. I will certainly keep you posted. I wanted to know do you know anything about the Carolina Medical center, as far as working for them or anyone else out there.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,195 times
Quote:
Thank you BXrosie. I will certainly keep you posted. I wanted to know do you know anything about the Carolina Medical center, as far as working for them or anyone else out there.

Mz. Patty, can you please email me.....I would like to know how your experience at Wood Tobe-Coburn has been. My fiancee' is considering the Computer Programming program but we have doubts because of the cost and just because no 1 has heard of the school.

Please contact me at your convenience.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:04 PM

34 posts, read 93,928 times
Default Here are the 2009 Mecklenberg CTY NC Occupational Employment and Wages Data

Quote:
Hi
Hi MZ. PATTYCAKE,

As a fellow NY'er, I understand how you feel about how NY is treating us. I was visiting a relative who lives on E 120 and Park Ave and saw these hi rise condo's there and since my relative is a senior citizen, I called the management company to inquire if there would be some apts allocated toward rent subsidy for the seniors... And you know what the answer to that question was "NO"... Here is the 2009 following hourly wages a Medical Assistant earns in Mecklenburg County: Minimum $ 11.79, Maximum $15.35 per hour... Here's the copy of the link to the website: North Carolina Occupational Employment and Wages But in case that dosen't work,

Here is the Department of Labor 2009 Statisics for the state of NC:

North Carolina Occupational Employment and Wages... Go to Google type in the above sentence , and it will give you employment data for the occupation you are seeking. You can look by the state or do what I did which was look by the County which for Charlotte it's Mecklenburg...

I wish you well with your journey... Please keep us posted of your progress

P.S.- I will DM you the information I received regarding the housing such as the first time homebuyer programs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte