Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2008, 12:35 PM

217 posts, read 512,277 times

Advertisements

I have researched areas and schools for months and have used GreatSchools.net as well as other resources but I need info from families living and breathing the schools there. I know about the charter schools but also know there is a lottery system. I can't use that as a definite for my childrens education. I have looked into 2 different areas to relocate. 1 in Huntersville where the schools would be: Legette blythe, JM Alexander and North Meck High. The 2nd area is in Caabrrus county across the boarder and the schools are: Charles Bogart, ( NO info on Great Schools for them), North West middle and North West High.
Can someone please let me know what you know about these schools and the quality of education. They are both in two different counties and the info regarding these schools and the areas they reside in is vague.
Thank you in advance.
** If had to choose would it be Huntersville location to live and schools mentioned above OR Cabarrus county to live and attend the schools above????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 01:47 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,493,300 times
Is there any way you can come down here and see for yourself? I see that you have posted about so many places (from SC questions to Union to Caberras, to Charlotte.) It is hard to know what another person wants. I thought I would choose the North end, but we chose Union County after being here and renting for 3 months and getting a feel for the area.

I don't like to count on people's advice, esp. if I don't even know them personally and know they don't really know *my* tastes. it would really be in your best interest to spend some time looking around and seeing.

Also, do you plan to move by Aug so that you can get a job and put your kids in school?

Dawn

Old 07-26-2008, 08:19 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,926 times
Check out the brand new this year Mallard Creek High School...that is in the Highland Creek area. Also just across the border and much closer to Uptown is the very highly rated Fort Mill, SC school district. They have 2 high schools (Fort Mill High & Nation Ford High).

Overall you can't go wrong with Huntersville either. A very nice suburb. Don't know much about the Cabarrus area schools...maybe someone else can chime in.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 07-26-2008 at 09:02 PM..

Old 07-27-2008, 04:24 PM

128 posts, read 323,174 times
Will the new Mallard High School Service Skybrook North residents?

Old 07-30-2008, 08:20 AM

518 posts, read 2,061,632 times
All of Skybrook goes to North Meck HS.

Highland Creek goes to Mallard Creek HS. Check the below website for school zone maps.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/studentAssignment08-09/plan/maps.asp - broken link)

My children go to Mallard Creek HS. We have been very pleased with MC. I think they were somewhat strict in some sense, but I feel they are setting the "standard" for the following years. It will be a whole new atmosphere this year with all 4 grades. I do think that they will be over (or close) capacity this year, just my "gut feeling". There is a trailer on-site, but it is for transportation (buses) - not classes. There is no room for trailers at this school, unless they use the student parking lot, teacher lot, or bus lot, which they can't do. Because it is surrounded by private homes and Mallard Creek Park, there is no land. The baseball field is a half mile from the school, you can barely see the school from the field. They are building a Montessouri High School next to the student parking lot. The road is becoming a concern of mine, but I did hear that the road is a first priority for widening (can't recall details, but did hear it on the news, or read it in the paper). A light at the P.C./J-O intersection needs to be done also. The road from beside Bi-Lo, (DeArmon light) to J-O is in the works also, I think it still is, probably some land issues.??

Old 07-30-2008, 08:25 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,867,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastone View Post
All of Skybrook goes to North Meck HS.

Highland Creek goes to Mallard Creek HS. Check the below website for school zone maps.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/studentAssignment08-09/plan/maps.asp - broken link)

My children go to Mallard Creek HS. We have been very pleased with MC. I think they were somewhat strict in some sense, but I feel they are setting the "standard" for the following years. It will be a whole new atmosphere this year with all 4 grades. I do think that they will be over (or close) capacity this year, just my "gut feeling". There is a trailer on-site, but it is for transportation (buses) - not classes. There is no room for trailers at this school, unless they use the student parking lot, teacher lot, or bus lot, which they can't do. Because it is surrounded by private homes and Mallard Creek Park, there is no land. The baseball field is a half mile from the school, you can barely see the school from the field. They are building a Montessouri High School next to the student parking lot. The road is becoming a concern of mine, but I did hear that the road is a first priority for widening (can't recall details, but did hear it on the news, or read it in the paper). A light at the P.C./J-O intersection needs to be done also. The road from beside Bi-Lo, (DeArmon light) to J-O is in the works also, I think it still is, probably some land issues.??

They cant do this fast enough!!!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:55 AM

518 posts, read 2,061,632 times
That's for sure. Should have been done when they did the light at the other end. Has anyone noticed all the skid marks on J-O Rd? Not sure if it's from racing or near misses.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:03 AM

7 posts, read 31,745 times
My children have attended all three of the Huntersville schools mentioned,(Legette blythe, JM Alexander and North Meck High). My wife and I have been very pleased with the quality of education and other than student size we really hve no complaints. CMS is really the problem. In retrospect, we would have chosen to go another mile down the road and choose Cabarrus County but we are happy with their education so far. You difinitely have to stay involved in your childrens day to day school events. My wife inqires about each class when they come home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte