Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you favor a sales tax increase to fund transportation?
Yes- for development/faster rollout of light rail 12 26.09%
Yes- for completion/widening of I-485 2 4.35%
Yes- for both 12 26.09%
What, are you kidding? 20 43.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:25 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,867,100 times

Advertisements

While my conservative leanings generally prohibit the thought of more taxes, the ever increasing growth of our city, as well the continuous climb of fuel prices makes me wonder about our transportation ambitions. Wondered how people felt about an increase in the 1/2 cent sales tax to allow faster development of the light rail? Would we favor an increase if the money could be specifically earmarked for the expansion/completion of I-485? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 11:31 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Hoagie, I voted "what - are you kidding" . . . b/c there is enuff tax money collected from Meck to take care of our highways . . . the problem is in Raleigh . . . We need legislators who apportion the money so that we get our fair share of highway improvements.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hoagie, I voted "what - are you kidding" . . . b/c there is enuff tax money collected from Meck to take care of our highways . . . the problem is in Raleigh . . . We need legislators who apportion the money so that we get our fair share of highway improvements.
I totally agree with that, but aren't we kidding ourselves about policies changing in Raleigh?

Actually, I was more interested in seeing peoples feelings about light rail- specifically because I believe the city planners were myopic in their vision of where it should go. Given the overwhelming reponse to the blue line, I fully believe the city should bump up the schedule for the northern leg. I also think we should offer the option of extending it to Lowes Motor Speedway- at Cabbarus countys/ Bruton Smith's expense.

Additionally, I think we should look at a line running from uptown to Union County- perhaps in the median/bus lane of Independence. Ideally, I would also go west to the airport.

Of course, this is all IMHO!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:43 AM

5 posts, read 10,990 times
No way. They would just build another stadium in an effort to fix the traffic problem. or maybe the could rename it from I-485 to "The I-485 Expressway" to make traffic move faster!

Seriously, 485 was a poorly planned project from the begining. It's not finished yet and is already in trouble and too small.

Personally, I moved from a major metropolitan area to get away from public transportation. I wouldn't ride the light rail if it stopped in my driveway and asked me nicely every morning.

Given that I have no intention of ever using light rail and have no use for 485 I voted "no" to the poll.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:50 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Mecklenburg already funds the light rail that had a stiff battle with 1/2 cent tax hike.
There is already plans for a independent bus line to Union County and other areas including using trollies, and street cars through Plaza Midwood and other areas, also includes relocation of the transportation to include the light rail city bus, Greyhound, and Amtrak near where the current Grayhound station is located across from Gateway Village. all is outline in the 2030 plan.
Please click here for a more detailed view of the map. of the future transportation that CATS will provide.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Mecklenburg already funds the light rail that had a stiff battle with 1/2 cent tax hike.
There is already plans for a independent bus line to Union County and other areas including using trollies, and street cars through Plaza Midwood and other areas, also includes relocation of the transportation to include the light rail city bus, Greyhound, and Amtrak near where the current Grayhound station is located across from Gateway Village. all is outline in the 2030 plan.
Please click here for a more detailed view of the map. of the future transportation that CATS will provide.
But, as I recall the recall was pretty soundly in favor of keeping the tax. If we're going to have to face higher taxes anyway, why not spread it amongst all of the people that shop in Charlotte?

Old 07-28-2008, 12:05 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Just an afterthought, Hoagie. I would be very interested in seeing if we could get some projects finished up around here if we considered toll roads. I don't see that being an answer for 485 . . . but there have been some studies done on toll roads for other projects.

As for light rail . . . it has been such a battle already . . . (as Sunny said) . . . I personally thought having a light rail connector w/ the airport would have been wise.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
But, as I recall the recall was pretty soundly in favor of keeping the tax. If we're going to have to face higher taxes anyway, why not spread it amongst all of the people that shop in Charlotte?
The 1/2 cent sales tax already gets anyone that shops in Mecklenburg and the tax is to be use for prior and future expansion

Old 07-28-2008, 12:48 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Taxes are high enough already.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:42 PM

830 posts, read 1,531,204 times
Judging by the amount of development along the South Blvd corridor, people are already voting with their pocketbooks.

No transportation system in the US (aside from NYC, I believe) is self-sustaining through fares alone. And with federal government money becoming more and more scarce, there will need to be other funding options for mass transit. IMO, having a effective transit system is a key to Charlotte's continued growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte