Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,402 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I'm an Australian (Ozzie) currently living in Sydney and in a relationship with a Charlotte Chick. Apart from what it's like to live in Charlotte (NoDa is my preference) what info / advice can you friendly folk offer to someone who's thinking of moving there from the other end of the Earth? (Comment from Expat's would be great)

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-28-2008 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: remove the font codes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 06:45 AM

327 posts, read 1,197,239 times
I've never lived in or even visited Australia (although I'd love to), so I can't offer a comparison of Sydney and Charlotte. What I can say is that Charlotte is a friendly small city with some amenities such as an opera, theater, plenty of restaurants, etc. We're not close to the beach, about 3.5 hours if you drive fast. We're not too far from the mountains (about 2 hours). The city is composed of a mix of North Carolina natives and transplants from across the country. In general, I think Charlotte is more reserved than other larger American cities (NYC, Philly, D.C.) or more "progressive" smaller cities such as Seattle, Portland, San Antonio.

I guess to sum it up, I wouldn't suggest that Charlotte is a city full of action, although everything is what you make of it. I like it because it is family-oriented with nice people and a more relaxed pace of life.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:47 AM

416 posts, read 927,611 times
I'm heading to Sydney in October. I can give you a better comparison after my trip. Can't wait!

Old 07-29-2008, 06:52 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,390 times
You must be pretty involved with this Charlotte chick if you're considering moving all the way from Australia - LOL!

Perhaps you could tell us more about what you like to do, and we can provide you with things in and around Charlotte that will suit your preferences.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:58 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
He must like them furry to be referring to her as a chick?

Old 07-29-2008, 07:47 AM

852 posts, read 2,467,088 times
There are quite a few aussies living here in Charlotte - one even set up his own business selling Crikey Pies. There is a cricket team here also run by an Australian. I would take a long walkabout here before committing to Charlotte though. It's very different to Sydney. Good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte