Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 02:13 PM

30 posts, read 385,986 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from NY State to Charlotte, looking for individual health insurance in North Carolina. (I don't have any options for health insurance thru an employer, I'm not employed now but financially secure, won't be working more than part-time in the future.)
I'm also over 50, nonsmoker, single, take no medications, generally healthy with no chronic medical conditions (about 20lbs overweight but very active) & have not had health insurance for about 10 years. Been very lucky, I guess!-- during those 10 years, estimate that I've paid less than $3000 in medical costs due to minor accidents resulting in some prescriptions & minor procedures.

Mainly, I'd like to be covered for anything catastrophic, prefer to pay under $250 per month. I've already checked some online insurance sites for quotes & spoken to one insurance broker. Would appreciate any responses/advice:

-- the ins. agent recommended MedCost as a good PPO network. Anyone had experience with this? pros/cons? (I don't yet know about any doctors or medical offices in Charlotte.)

-- Right now, considering AssurantHealth & BCBS as options. Opinions on these companies?

-- Wondering if I can get health insurance without having to pass a physical exam. I haven't been getting regular physicals for about 10 years & don't suspect any problems, but heard it's best to avoid those exams as a prerequisite for insurance.
Also, later on, can I be denied coverage for a "pre-existing condition" if it developed during the past few years but was undiagnosed & I wasn't aware of it?

Would appreciate some responses especially from health insurance professsionals & others who've dealt with these issues. Sorry if I sound kinda ignorant on these matters-- I just wish there was universal health insurance or that I was a citizen of a nation like Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 02:25 PM

222 posts, read 936,448 times
I have a BCBS PPO policy and have no complaints other than the cost. Highway robbery. Any other insurance I have checked costs about the same for the same or less coverage.

Have you tried getting a quote from bcbsnc.com? You can answer questions online to get a quote. You can also choose different levels of coverage: A, B or C plan. A covers more. If you choose a B or C plan and want to move to an A plan, you will have to get a physical (that's what the rule was the first of this year).

I don't think you have to have a physical to get health insurance, as you do life or disability insurance. I know we didn't have to but we were under 40 yo. A pre-existing condition occurs if you were diagnosed or received treatment with that condition within 5 yrs of your application for coverage.

Universal health coverage. It works great in other countries. Why can't it work here?

Old 07-28-2008, 03:16 PM

930 posts, read 2,161,834 times
We have medcost through my husband's employer. I have had no problems with them and I had to have two MRI's, an ultrasound and xrays this year. They are prompt payers and the dr.s offices don't seem to have a problem with them. The dr.s that are on the list seem to be good ones, as well.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:13 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
I have Medcost on my child and I. I have found the rates are lower than what I could get with BCBS. No problems in the +-5 years that I have used Medcost. My policy does not have a co-pay for office visits but it does give a small discount. No dental insurance! Good Luck!

Old 07-28-2008, 08:26 PM

797 posts, read 3,296,274 times
I just got bcbsnc individual plan recently. I'm 35 no health issues, not overweight, don't smoke or drink. It was a royal pain in the you know what. First they wanted to review my medical charts for like 2 weeks. Then after that (b/c I guess they didn't see anything), they said I had to go downtown and get a physical. Ok..so did that too. Then after that, I had to spend 20 min on the phone with a health examiner and get down and dirty on every nook and cranny of my health. It was insane. I had to do all this before they would give me a quote..then they hit me with $400 a month!

Old 07-28-2008, 09:46 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
I have BCBS for myself & my wife we're paying just under $900/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte