Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 02:52 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanokers View Post
ani,

Thank you, Thank you. You are a wealth of information. I have my wife writing all of your suggestions right now, and we will take them to heart. I appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed list. I will let you know how it works out. Thanks to everyone who has posted, all very hopeful.

One more question. Are housing prices in S. CLT falling, holding steady, or on the rise? I am wondering if in a year, we would still be able to afford a house in the 175-200K range?
Many are holding steady, a few are rising and some are falling. It is really a hodge podge depending on desirability of particular areas. Even those that are falling are not falling more than 5% I believe. I do think you can still find a home in that range a year from now however - though doing so in south Charlotte will be hardest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 PM

109 posts, read 397,558 times
Question IS South CLT where its at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Many are holding steady, a few are rising and some are falling. It is really a hodge podge depending on desirability of particular areas. Even those that are falling are not falling more than 5% I believe. I do think you can still find a home in that range a year from now however - though doing so in south Charlotte will be hardest.
So it seems that South Charlotte is the most desireable as far as good schools, neighborhoods, and the like?

Old 07-29-2008, 08:15 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,665,576 times
Quote:
That sounds like something we will definately check out. Charlotte seems like it has soooo much to do. In Roanoke we don't have near as much to do....Just downtown, which coming from a bigger city, isn't that big at all.
I second going to Birkdale and letting the kids play in the fountain. We have a really strong sense of community at Lake Norman, so try and spend a few hours up here!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
So it seems that South Charlotte is the most desireable as far as good schools, neighborhoods, and the like?
If you are within Charlotte city limits, then yes South Charlotte is the way to go no doubt about it.

If you looking outside city limits, but within the county (Mecklenburg), you're better off in Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson imo. Matthews and Mint Hill are also nice, but I think the quality of life is better at the lake.

If you're looking outside the county, your options really open up. Preferable areas would be western Union county (Weddington, Marvin, Waxhaw, Wesley Chapel, Indian Trail, Stallings), western Cabarrus county (Harrisburg, Concord, Kannapolis, Davidson), east Gaston county (Mount Holly, Belmont), east Lincoln county (Denver), and south Iredell county (Mooresville).

Old 07-29-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
I second going to Birkdale and letting the kids play in the fountain. We have a really strong sense of community at Lake Norman, so try and spend a few hours up here!
thanks. will do. may not be able to squeeze it in on the first trip, but definately on subsequent trips if we decided to make the jump.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:24 PM

Oh, and can't forget Fort Mill, Rock Hill, and Lake Wylie in SC.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Oh, and can't forget Fort Mill, Rock Hill, and Lake Wylie in SC.
As per our previous conversations, NC is as far south as I am willing to go. Maybe it is just some arbitrary line, but in my mind I can't imagine ever moving to South Carolina. No offense to anyone, but I just can't do it. Thanks for all of the advice though, I will incorporate all into my search.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
If you are within Charlotte city limits, then yes South Charlotte is the way to go no doubt about it.

If you looking outside city limits, but within the county (Mecklenburg), you're better off in Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson imo. Matthews and Mint Hill are also nice, but I think the quality of life is better at the lake.

If you're looking outside the county, your options really open up. Preferable areas would be western Union county (Weddington, Marvin, Waxhaw, Wesley Chapel, Indian Trail, Stallings), western Cabarrus county (Harrisburg, Concord, Kannapolis, Davidson), east Gaston county (Mount Holly, Belmont), east Lincoln county (Denver), and south Iredell county (Mooresville).
I completely agree

Old 07-30-2008, 08:26 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
ani,

Thank you, Thank you. You are a wealth of information. I have my wife writing all of your suggestions right now, and we will take them to heart. I appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed list. I will let you know how it works out. Thanks to everyone who has posted, all very hopeful.

One more question. Are housing prices in S. CLT falling, holding steady, or on the rise? I am wondering if in a year, we would still be able to afford a house in the 175-200K range?
You are very welcome. Checking out an area is sooooo hard, especially w/ limited time. Carolina Guy and LovesMountains also had great suggestions. You should have a lot of ideas now, LOL!!!

Just don't get overwhelmed. Over the years, hubby and I have had to check out so many areas for possible job transfers. We are in healthcare, too, so we always started w/ the hospitals (location-wise) and worked out from there. I have seen so many parts of this country in 72 hour whirlwind visits . . . it is a challenge. Talking to the employees of the hospital has always really really helped, as you can find out where they live, what their commute is like. Don't laugh, but we even check out hospitals when we are vacationing, LOL!!!! You never know who you might meet that you want to network with later. We have found if we stop in and eat at the cafeteria, go by HR (and talk to people at various desks - especially volunteers) we can find out a lot of info about the area, where people choose to live, what the schools are like in different communities, etc.

Presby has a nice new hospital in Huntersville . . . you might want to check it out. Why don't you call both Presby and CMC and ask if they have nurse recruiters? Find out if your wife could come by and speak w/ them.

I would highly recommend considering Presby in H'ville and in Matthews . . . and also CMC's various campuses (rather than having to fight traffic and work uptown - now that is just my preference). If you like S. CLT - check out CMC's Pineville campus.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You are very welcome. Checking out an area is sooooo hard, especially w/ limited time. Carolina Guy and LovesMountains also had great suggestions. You should have a lot of ideas now, LOL!!!

Just don't get overwhelmed. Over the years, hubby and I have had to check out so many areas for possible job transfers. We are in healthcare, too, so we always started w/ the hospitals (location-wise) and worked out from there. I have seen so many parts of this country in 72 hour whirlwind visits . . . it is a challenge. Talking to the employees of the hospital has always really really helped, as you can find out where they live, what their commute is like. Don't laugh, but we even check out hospitals when we are vacationing, LOL!!!! You never know who you might meet that you want to network with later. We have found if we stop in and eat at the cafeteria, go by HR (and talk to people at various desks - especially volunteers) we can find out a lot of info about the area, where people choose to live, what the schools are like in different communities, etc.

Presby has a nice new hospital in Huntersville . . . you might want to check it out. Why don't you call both Presby and CMC and ask if they have nurse recruiters? Find out if your wife could come by and speak w/ them.

I would highly recommend considering Presby in H'ville and in Matthews . . . and also CMC's various campuses (rather than having to fight traffic and work uptown - now that is just my preference). If you like S. CLT - check out CMC's Pineville campus.
Yes, that is a good idea about going to the hospitals. When we moved here from Va Beach the nurse recruiter was an invaluable resource. Thank you all for the suggestions, keeping em' coming. We are feverishly taking notes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte