Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:21 PM

13 posts, read 47,435 times

Advertisements

Alright, same story as most here...planning to relocate my family to Charlotte, searching for best areas, schools, homes, nursing jobs, etc...blah blah blah. BUT- 1 of the doctors I work for at the moment is NC born and bread. He drops it on me today that he "would never want to live in North Carolina again...it's dirty...move way up north of charlotte on a little farm..." The issue is the couple of places I mentioned to him he shot down. Lake Norman area, Gastonia, Indian Trail, and a few others. Any opinions out there to help me blow my bubble back up after he burst it? He hasn't changed my mind- but it sure is hard to tell what looks good via the net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 09:25 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayraye View Post
Alright, same story as most here...planning to relocate my family to Charlotte, searching for best areas, schools, homes, nursing jobs, etc...blah blah blah. BUT- 1 of the doctors I work for at the moment is NC born and bread. He drops it on me today that he "would never want to live in North Carolina again...it's dirty...move way up north of charlotte on a little farm..." The issue is the couple of places I mentioned to him he shot down. Lake Norman area, Gastonia, Indian Trail, and a few others. Any opinions out there to help me blow my bubble back up after he burst it? He hasn't changed my mind- but it sure is hard to tell what looks good via the net.
He sounds like a real snob if you ask me. He's also in a real minority in his opinion of the state. Many THOUSANDS of people are relocating here every year and enjoying it so much they convince family and friends from their home states to move here too. I have no idea what he means by "dirty" either - that is just nuts, especially if you move here from a big city like Philly, Baltimore, or LA - give me a break.

He obviously has a real bias against his home state so I would try to find out what THAT is all about before you give his opinions too much credibility

Old 07-28-2008, 09:43 PM

264 posts, read 919,024 times
Why are you planning a move here without having visited here?

Old 07-28-2008, 09:47 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,203,589 times
I'm gonna promote the Dilworth/Cherry/Elizabeth/Chantilly/Plaza-Midwood/No-Da neighborhoods. They form a ring of neighborhoods just outside center city on the south, east and north side... further southward on the 'ring' (Dilworth) represents the most expensive and more traditional almost city living, but as you swing around to No-Da things are a little grittier... in a good way.

It really depends on what you value. I've got a family and I chose a place a little further out the east corridor (just past Chantilly). I was able to save some coin on a house with a huge yard and do some nice upgrades. We are in the Myers Park High School district (excellent HS), so no problems there. Our 'home' elementary school is a little iffy, but if we can't get in a magnet school or Montessori we will pony up for private school. We can afford it with all the loot we saved on the house.

Good luck, I don't think Charlotte is all that dirty... but if you're relocating from a ranch on the headwaters of the Chattooga River you may find it less than pristine. It's all relative.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-28-2008 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: flaming off topic

Old 07-28-2008, 10:34 PM

13 posts, read 47,435 times
Thanks for thoes re-assurances. I appreciate the school info as I have an 8th grader (girl) and this will be a hard move for her. So, I hope that we find a school with students that are welcoming, disiplined and participate in music and sports programs, as my daughter does.To answer your question, Solnechko, I have been to charlotte for 1 day-that is all it took for my husband and I to fall in love- We are in the Pacific northwest, so naturally, beauty is important to us.
Additionally, we are ready for a BIG change. We finally have the option to spread our wings. Life is far too short not to take risks and chances, and since I am a nurse, thankfully my options are limitless.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:17 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,415,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayraye View Post
My buddy hated, hated, hated living in Gastonia. He didn't have a single nice thing to say about Gastonia other than "it's there". When I lived in NC I used to go around the Lake Norman area. I moved out of NC but to call the Lake Norman area dirty reeks more of someone who's just had someone else soil his Easter basket. That's the last place I'd ever call dirty.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:30 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,716,719 times
Default Eat off the street

My example is not of LN but of the downtown part of CLT and "dirty".(BTW I just told this story to a friend of mine yesterday)

Last week I saw from my hotel window about 7 in the morning a street cleaner using a leaf blower to clean the curbs and walks. When he was finished you could eat of the streets! Why am I impressed? Well from where I come from there's enough food ON the streets BUT I wouldn't want to say you"could eat off the streets"

CLT and its' surrounding areas are immaculate without a doubt or a shread of filth.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:00 AM

876 posts, read 3,795,569 times
when was the last time this DR was in the area? Looks pretty clean to me over here!

Old 07-29-2008, 05:39 AM

513 posts, read 2,113,287 times
I often hear from people who have visited Charlotte that they are impressed with how clean it is. It's usually one of the first things people say! To help you determine the best areas to look at, you need to give a price range, type of home you are looking for, and what's important to you. I also wouldn't put Gastonia on the top of my list - sorry to everyone who lives there. There are more desirable areas!

Old 07-29-2008, 06:25 AM

797 posts, read 3,297,827 times
What a hoot. Quite the opposite. Charlotte is one of the cleanest cities. Downtown is immaculate and the whole city is practically new looking. This guy has got the city mixed up w/ something else.
Yea, I wouldn't put Gastonia on my list either. Indian Trail is very nice and so is Matthews and Weddington and Waxhaw and Lake Norman/Huntersville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte