Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 02:06 PM

5 posts, read 7,513 times

Advertisements

Greetings Everyone
I have been lurking the forums trying to find advice, but my timeline is starting to run out, and considering how helpful everyone on here seems, I figured I would take the plunge and post.

Some Background:
I graduated in May with a degree in Economics, and moved back home with the folks to save some money. I recently landed an internship in Uptown (albeit unpaid), and will be relocating the third week in September from Pennsylvania. I will have a little over 2K saved by move time, with another several hundred from my current gig coming in after I am gone. My girlfriend will also be moving down there with me.

Although I have too many questions to possibly list, my main concern right now is trying to find an apartment from out of state, especially given my tight budget (and the fact that I will be without full time employment for 2-3 months doing this internship). If anyone has any advice as far as neighborhoods (preferably within walking distance to a Lynx stop), or any other general advice for a 22 year old yankee, I would greatly appreciate it.

I do plan on trying to work P/T (at least weekends) since I doubt my tiny savings will go very far, and my girlfriend is going to work too, but I fell like it's going to be an adventure to say the least!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 02:13 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunkpirate View Post
Greetings Everyone
I have been lurking the forums trying to find advice, but my timeline is starting to run out, and considering how helpful everyone on here seems, I figured I would take the plunge and post.

Some Background:
I graduated in May with a degree in Economics, and moved back home with the folks to save some money. I recently landed an internship in Uptown (albeit unpaid), and will be relocating the third week in September from Pennsylvania. I will have a little over 2K saved by move time, with another several hundred from my current gig coming in after I am gone. My girlfriend will also be moving down there with me.

Although I have too many questions to possibly list, my main concern right now is trying to find an apartment from out of state, especially given my tight budget (and the fact that I will be without full time employment for 2-3 months doing this internship). If anyone has any advice as far as neighborhoods (preferably within walking distance to a Lynx stop), or any other general advice for a 22 year old yankee, I would greatly appreciate it.

I do plan on trying to work P/T (at least weekends) since I doubt my tiny savings will go very far, and my girlfriend is going to work too, but I fell like it's going to be an adventure to say the least!
There are some very nice apartments in Gastonia for a fraction of the cost in Charlotte, if you will have a car. You would still be ahead of the game after paying for the gas.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:15 PM

716 posts, read 1,544,771 times
I moved here from Cali without a job a few months ago and was able to get an apartment by showing proof of having atleast 50,000 dollars in savings!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 02:23 PM

46 posts, read 138,061 times
Do not move to Gastonia. You'll be bored to tears. Try and find a place downtown, NoDa, Midtown, or South Park in south Charlotte. You'll be fine.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:25 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GritstoGranola View Post
Do not move to Gastonia. You'll be bored to tears. Try and find a place downtown, NoDa, Midtown, or South Park in south Charlotte. You'll be fine.
He can always move elsewhere when his finances are better.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:32 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Try looking at Craigslist.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:38 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,005,046 times
I ditto Craig's List. Since you will be with your girlfriend you might consider renting just a room in someone's house. Lot's of college kids do that in the University area but that is not near the Lightrail. You guys could get a room for $350/month for 6 months then look around for a place of your own.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:44 PM

42 posts, read 114,772 times
Quote:
Greetings Everyone

Some Background:

OMG, I am doing almost the exact same thing. Moving from PA (October most likely) and working on just about the same budget. Except I'm taking time off between undergrad and my MBA at UNC Charlotte. Ahh, let me know how your experience goes. I've been doing lots of research into hoods/apartments also so I can try to help.

Best of luck! Charlotte>PA

Old 08-21-2009, 03:08 PM

129 posts, read 339,099 times
I'd come find some part time work first to make a little scratch. You will need to stay in a cheap hotel. If you find where your going to work at, and where your intern is at, that will fill in a little area of where you will want to stay at. The light rail runs down South Blvd. and the buses run down 51. You can live off 51 between pineville and mathews for a reasonable price in a decent area. It will get more expensive the farther east you go on 51. Your priced out of the any thing desirable uptown.

When I first moved here, I stayed at The Villages apartments on Sharon Rd W , which is between South Blvd and Park Rd. You could walk to the light rail from there, and they have 7 month leases. I think the small studio was around 500$. (and I mean small)

The only thing with the villages is the do some shady stuff with the rent. They said the apartment costs 780$ , but they will "prorate" it to 540$ for example. Then if your a day late, they expect 780$ + late fee. I just made sure to pay it early.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Greetings Everyone

Some Background:

Tunk, welcome to Charlotte and congrats on your graduation and new opportunity.

Since you don't have much saved to come to Charlotte on you'll want to rent something as close to $500 a month as you can. Problem is, in Charlotte that can be a very bad price range to be in.

In particular, anything along the light rail in that price range will not be in a very good/safe location - so nix that idea.

My best advice is to instead look at the Martha Washington apartment homes in the desirable Elizabeth neighborhood. You would be on the bus line just minutes outside of uptown in a good area there. Now, these apartments are old - at least 60 years old, but they are very affordable and decent. You could feel better about bringing your girlfriend there than anything along the light rail okay?

Elizabeth is also a stones throw to the trendy Plaza Midwood area where lots of people your age hang out

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte