Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 03:25 PM

8 posts, read 31,442 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Charlotte at the end of this month with my family and I am ecstatic! I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding the Steele Creek area. My realtor took my husband and I to see homes there and we really like the area. Everything that I have read about it seems positive, but I wanted to get some opinions about it directly from folks who either live there or know about the area. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2006, 10:45 AM

4 posts, read 18,303 times
Default what is your oppion?

Ok i have a question for you. We are originally from South Florida and looking to relocate to NC Charlotte area. I hear so many different things about NC all together. People say its a great place with great schools and alot of work. Some tell me the opposite. THey say its terrible and that NC doesnt welcome people much. They say to stay way...... what do u think?

Old 07-07-2006, 12:50 PM

Cindy123 - I've been to Charlotte a couple of times and found nothing but warm and friendly people. I have quite a few family members who have moved to NC including my grandmother and aunt (who are both from FL) and they all love it. I am moving because I can get more house for my money. Also, the homeowners insurance is cheap (mine will be $453 for the year!). I have heard that there are problems with the schools, but I hear that the school system is a bit better than here in FL. The one thing that I notice about Charlotte is that it is a bit slower paced so if you are looking for an exciting night life it may not be the best place for you. I'm looking for a place to raise my kids so Charlotte seems to be a good fit for me. I think that it depends on what you are looking for. Have you had a chance to go up there and visit? I would before making such a major move.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:28 PM

38 posts, read 185,163 times
My church is in Steele Creek. Lots of people in our church live there. Seems like it is growing quickly... lots of new planned communities going up. Beautiful area. They have built 3/4 of the 485 which will eventually make a full loop around Charlotte. Right now it stops right about the Steele Creek area but you can still get around. I'm thinking when that hwy is finished the area will boom. No evidence, just my gathering.

A great website for searching for homes out here is removed

And as far as people welcoming you, I'll say what I've said in other posts. Slow & Steady works for people out here & forever has. If you are willing to accept that then you will most likely be welcomed with open arms. It may take a while to get used to the grocery line not moving quickly because the checker is gabbing with the customer in front. When all else fails.... . just join in the conversation!

I think it's those who arrive and want to buck the system that meet resistance. Arrive and try out the system already in place with an open mind.

Last edited by Yac; 07-08-2006 at 10:22 AM..

Old 07-07-2006, 01:39 PM

170 posts, read 566,435 times
Hey Awayfrom FL, I just wanted to say good luck with the move, we'll be right there with you at the end of the month! I just wish our drive was so short, we're coming from Seattle! (We should have a party for all us newcomers!)

Old 07-07-2006, 02:29 PM

Momof2boys - congratulations and good luck on your move as well. Seattle is quite a drive!

Thanks for the great info - Choozejoy!

Old 07-07-2006, 02:41 PM

Hey, again, momof2- I keep running in to you.

We made the move from Vancouver, WA last year. It's a beautiful drive! Took us 4.5 days. That was without kids (so less stops) but with us driving all our belongings in a big truck (so less mph).... I guess it just about evened out.

You will LOVE all the sunshine! And once you get here you'll have to clarify to everyone that you are from Washington STATE.... out here Washington means DC.

Cheers!

Old 07-07-2006, 02:56 PM

170 posts, read 566,435 times
That's so funny, when we took the kids to Disney World, people would ask where we're from, and we said just that- Washington. They would say, "Oh, DC, lots of history there!" Ok....... Thanks for the sunshine info, you know how it is here, constant gloom! (Well, except for the summer). How did you do with the heat and humidity? I think that's one of my biggest worries. Everyone's warned me about that.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:20 PM

22 posts, read 37,723 times
Default originally from fl too- NC Here we come

i am too from south florida and left for NY after my masters degree- well I can speak only from what I have seen and I am glad the day I left miami/ft lauderdale in 2001. I will be closing on our home in concord in 10 days and will be down there next week friday.
schools are much better in charlotte than south florida for sure- and I have never been to a more freindly place.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:49 PM

To be honest, I personally think the humidity is HORRIBLE!!! I am originally from Charlotte, then spent many moons in So Cal before going to the NW. I really wanted to get back to the country so my hubby took a job out here. The job stinks and there's a lack of need for his expertise out here (plus we miss our west coast families) so we are on the move again. We have the most wonderful house, on the most wonderful land, my 3 boys romp through the woods surrounding our house & bring home all sorts of critters to learn about.... life is great except for the job. If that were great too then I think it would be easier to put up with the humidity. It really does only last for a couple months but I could see spending those couple months indoors. (But then think of all those rainy days spent indoors in WA!) We are a family that would much prefer to be cold than hot... I'm sure there are others whom it doesn't bother. Most everyone from my church is a transplant and they've pretty much said it took them 2-3 years to get used to it. I'm sure if we stayed we would, too.

It is a beautiful place, with wonderful people (and my kids now have "yes, maam" down to a tee!).... I guess we can't have it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte