Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 06:34 AM

285 posts, read 1,072,243 times

Advertisements

Need something that is 90 minutes or less. Has a trail to the summit/peak.

Crowders Mountain Park

Morrow Mountain Park

Chimney Rock

Or any else? It is for my brother (14) that never seen a mountain let alone foothills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 06:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to South Mountains State Park

It around a hour and half but he will also be able to view the beautiful waterfalls
Connelly Springs, NC - Google Maps

The trail on the left is more rigerous but more beautiful than the trail on the right
You will be climbing to sides of the falls and surrounded by Mountain Laurels (bring water)

It about hour and half from city center
Connelly Springs, NC - Google Maps

Old 08-03-2008, 07:47 AM

Sunny, is the trail on the right easy enough for a seven year old to climb or more suited for hubby and bro?

As for bringing water, you would laugh at how I pack for a park excursion. I pack as if we are going into the wilderness and can be lost for days. Compass, water purifier bottles, food both fresh and dried....I think I watch too many, "I Survivied" shows.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:51 AM

85 posts, read 428,422 times
Mount Jefferson State Park in Jefferson, NC is about 2.5 hours from Huntersville. It makes for a great day trip and with the Fall colors coming up, its needs to be on your agenda. Also, it is not far from the Blue Ridge Parkway.
N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Mount Jefferson State Natural Area
Blue Ridge Parkway (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 08-03-2008, 07:57 AM

Kehinnc, I am in south Charlotte, near the SC border. With hot weather, a toddler and 7 year old, I need to keep the trip at max 90 minutes as that is 3 hours total round trip.

But later on, I have to check that out when it is cooler.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Now that you refresh my memory on your location Crowders or Morrow mountain will probably be your best bet for closeness.

Im concern that South Mountain might not be rough for a 7 year old it is a mile on either side of High Shoal Falls. It more for those who are adventourous or need to loose some weight. A little more further is Pilot Mountain and you can drive to the summit on that mountain no hiking involved.

Kings Mountain is the best if you want foothills and mountain

Im surprise you know who hasnt chime in on this

Old 08-03-2008, 08:19 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,512 times
I'd vote for South Mountains State Park. It's a bit more rugged than the other parks that are close by. It has short and long hiking trails, so it will allow you to pick your hike time. There is a waterfall in the park also. Kids usually love those! It should take about 1.5 hours to drive there.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:38 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
You can scratch Chimney Rock State Park off of your list. Although it's my favorite, it's not within your 90 minutes rule.

County Elevations - County High Points

Old 08-03-2008, 10:13 AM

85 posts, read 428,422 times
With a drive time limit of 90 minutes, your options are limited.
You might try some SC Parks.
Park Locator: South Carolina State Parks

Old 08-03-2008, 11:18 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Now that you refresh my memory on your location Crowders or Morrow mountain will probably be your best bet for closeness.

Im concern that South Mountain might not be rough for a 7 year old it is a mile on either side of High Shoal Falls. It more for those who are adventourous or need to loose some weight. A little more further is Pilot Mountain and you can drive to the summit on that mountain no hiking involved.

Kings Mountain is the best if you want foothills and mountain

Im surprise you know who hasnt chime in on this
hahahaha - HERE I AM

Okay, all the suggestions have been great - BUT I have to say, I think the choice should be Chimney Rock. The trails are awesome, the views are great, the waterfall is amazing. For a kid who has never seen a mountain this one is a really cool one to be on and it gives great views of many other mountains. At Crowders and Kings Mt, even at Stone Mt, you don't really get high enough to see other mountains - you just climb the mountain. Let me know if you want some other info newcharlottean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte