Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 07:15 AM

7 posts, read 27,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani_lac View Post

Schools are a bit different they we from the north are accustom to.

hope this helps

Dani
Can you explain to me a little more how the school system in NC works?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 08:25 AM
ny4

67 posts, read 235,706 times
Default Another NYer moving to NC with Concerns

Hey there, almost same concerns here...was looking in Charlotte/Lake Norman previously. Was there last May..now looking into Raleigh and making trip in either April or May...My husand is retiring..but daughter and grandson coming along..she is 25 single parent now and grandson is 6. Need to consider employment and social life for her as well as good schools...

Old 01-30-2007, 11:57 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny10 View Post
Can you explain to me a little more how the school system in NC works?

Thanks!

School systems are county-wide here. So basically if you are in Mecklenburg county, you will be assigned to a Mecklenburg county school. Just because you are assigned to a school one year does not necessarily mean you will be assigned to the same school the next. It seems as if the new superintendant is trying to institute some stability, but there are no guarantees especially with all the growth we are experiencing.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:43 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
School systems are county-wide here. So basically if you are in Mecklenburg county, you will be assigned to a Mecklenburg county school. Just because you are assigned to a school one year does not necessarily mean you will be assigned to the same school the next. It seems as if the new superintendant is trying to institute some stability, but there are no guarantees especially with all the growth we are experiencing.
To be more clear I think it should be stated that this reassigning is NOT going on across the whole city or county. There are many stable established neighborhoods that are no longer growing and the children there do not get reassigned. Kids in my neighborhood have been going to the same schools for years. The reassignments are only happening in the outer reaches were the explosive growth is necessitating new schools. As the schools open up new boundries have to be drawn for which areas those schools will serve. THAT'S why kids are being reassigned. Other than that we now have a policy of "neighborhood schools", no forced busing. This is another good reason to consider buying into an established neighborhood, many of which have great resales

Old 01-30-2007, 01:38 PM

7 posts, read 27,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
To be more clear I think it should be stated that this reassigning is NOT going on across the whole city or county. There are many stable established neighborhoods that are no longer growing and the children there do not get reassigned. Kids in my neighborhood have been going to the same schools for years. The reassignments are only happening in the outer reaches were the explosive growth is necessitating new schools. As the schools open up new boundries have to be drawn for which areas those schools will serve. THAT'S why kids are being reassigned. Other than that we now have a policy of "neighborhood schools", no forced busing. This is another good reason to consider buying into an established neighborhood, many of which have great resales
So which town do you live in right now. Because the relocating of schools every year does sound like it could be difficult for the kids. Do you know which neighborhoods do not have reassignments and which do? We were thinking of moving to Matthews. Is that one of the neighborhoods that are still reasignning?

Old 01-30-2007, 01:49 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny10 View Post
So which town do you live in right now. Because the relocating of schools every year does sound like it could be difficult for the kids. Do you know which neighborhoods do not have reassignments and which do? We were thinking of moving to Matthews. Is that one of the neighborhoods that are still reasignning?

I am in south Charlotte. If you chose an existing home in Matthews you are not likely to be reassigned, as it too is just about built out now. The reassigning is happening in the booming places like Ballantyne in very south Charlotte or north of the city in Huntersville and Lake Norman areas. The biggest reassignment areas are actually in Union County - as they are experiencing the most growth of all.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:58 PM

88 posts, read 250,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ua835 View Post
Welcome to Charlotte! My wife and I are the same as you guys, and we've felt very welcome in the 9months we've lived here. The ONLY situation we've run into was actually last weekend, and it was actually more funny than offensive as one of our new neighbors thought my wife was his wife's hairdresser ... I had to correct him that "No, she's actually a Banker!"

Someone said it very well before, the only real color they see in Charlotte is "green", and I've found that to be true to some extent (there are people that make it more of an issue than necessary)

The hardest thing we've had to deal with in Charlotte was finding what we considered to be good ethnic restaurants. We realized how spoiled we were in Chicago, with a large Chinatown, Koreatown, and plenty of good places for Indian food. I'm very happy to say that after several months of searching, we've found both decent Thai and Indian food (Thai House & Bombay Grille in the same shopping center off Pineville-Matthews), and an excellent Korean restaurant (Pepero-on Monroe road N. of Pineville-Matthews). As of now, I'm only down to finding a decent Lebanese restaurant/Kebab house, and I'll be complete (I was spoiled with the easy access to great food in Dearborn, MI). Unfortunately, I've given up in my search for Siu Loong Bao ... gotta go back to Chicago/NY for that!

In my experience, you'll have to try a little bit harder to find the things to which you're used to having easy access in a big city, but in our experience, it's been worth it. We enjoy being here!
Thanks UA835 for the recommendations on the restaurants! We are an asian american family from CA and we too were spoiled with good ethnic restaurants. I tried Pepero today to check out the market and even ordered a bulgogi lunch plate. It was very good! We've also tried Thai Taste in downtown Matthews by the Town Hall/Library and it's not far from Pepero and I thought their food was very good. There are a lot of Japanese sushi places around the Matthews/South Meck area but have yet to try one. It's going to be tough because I know we're going to compare it to our favorite sushi place back in CA which had the best sushi rolls but I'm sure there will be one just as good somewhere....do you have any suggestions?

Kenny10...you will both be fine here....lots of mixed raced families/couples. It's quite a melting pot. I am filipino and my husband is chinese, my sister's husband is white...they have kids and just moved here too.... and we've had no problems fitting in. Even though the natives are a dying breed out here we have still found lots of friendly people and neighbors from other parts of the country who have adopted and showed true southern hospitality. We just moved here a month ago and found a house in Matthews. We love it! If you have any questions you can PM me.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:06 PM

11 posts, read 43,844 times
Sorry, no sushi recommendations to date, but if you go back to Pepero, make sure to try the following (but not all at once!):

1. Soon dooboo chigae - Silky Tofu & beef spicy soup - it's not on the menu, but they'll make it for you ... hot enough to poach the raw egg they put inside
2. Yuk gae jang - Hot Spicy soup with beef & verimicelli noodles
3. Seafood Pancake

All my favorites ... their versions compete well with those in any restaurant in Chicago's Koreatown

Also I second the recomendation for Pho '98 on South Boulevard ... ate there last week and was quite pleased.

Hmm ... I wasn't hungry before I started typing, but for some reason, I am now!

Last edited by ua835; 01-31-2007 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: I can't spell!

Old 02-01-2007, 04:18 AM

88 posts, read 250,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ua835 View Post
Sorry, no sushi recommendations to date, but if you go back to Pepero, make sure to try the following (but not all at once!):

1. Soon dooboo chigae - Silky Tofu & beef spicy soup - it's not on the menu, but they'll make it for you ... hot enough to poach the raw egg they put inside
2. Yuk gae jang - Hot Spicy soup with beef & verimicelli noodles
3. Seafood Pancake

All my favorites ... their versions compete well with those in any restaurant in Chicago's Koreatown

Also I second the recomendation for Pho '98 on South Boulevard ... ate there last week and was quite pleased.

Hmm ... I wasn't hungry before I started typing, but for some reason, I am now!
yes, I'll have to try the following recommendations above...will also try pho98...however the DH and kids aren't too crazy about vietnamese food...so it'll just be me, myself and I...i'll have to order to go!

Old 02-02-2007, 08:03 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Default We are an inter-racial family

We have felt very comfortable here!

We are caucasion and have adopted a boy from China.

We attend a church in Matthews that has a Chinese Congregation, a Japanese Congregation and a Spanish Congregation. It is very inter-racial and we love it!

We moved here from Los Angeles so we were somewhat concerned about that issue as well. I had a friend with B of A in CA turn down a job in Charlotte because he was Indian and was worried about this issue. Funny thing is that we have met many Indian families here and they all say they feel very comfortable here!

Honestly, most of the time I don't even feel like I am in the South. There are so many people from all over the place here!

Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte