Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:18 PM

364 posts, read 635,834 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just recently moved to Charlotte. I still have an ATT phone and now have 3G service here (didn't have it in PA). Well, I am considering changing providers or going to a family plan. Which cell carrier is the best all around?

I have an ATT tilt right now and need to keep a cell phone (don't use many minutes really), unlimited n&w, data (with good speeds), texting.

I've noticed that Sprint is definitely cheaper feature for feature than ATT, but I know I've heard their customer service is awful.

I imagine all the cellular data services are similar around the greater Charlotte area? Anyone with some info, I'd greatly appreciate some help.

Also, I know that suncom is becoming T-mobile soon so I'm wondering if they will have awesome package deals around that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 01:24 PM

314 posts, read 1,136,686 times
I use Verizon for my Blackberry. It seems to work just fine. Although, it is provided to me by my job, so I don't really have any alternative options.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:06 PM

371 posts, read 1,102,255 times
What part of town do you live in? Service can vary depending on where you live.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:19 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,873,893 times
I have Alltel wireless internet for my laptop, and I consistently get 1-1.8 meg speeds from the University area, dunno if that helps.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:06 PM

624 posts, read 2,108,936 times
Isn't Verizon in the process of acquiring Alltel. I've got Verizon and have always been happy with them. Recently they also rated #1 for both customer service and coverage.

Verizon Wireless ranks No. 1 in customer service | News - Wireless - CNET News.com

If you follow the link, IMO at least, it shows that Verizon after the acquistion will be quite strong particularly in the Midwest and South.

Last edited by MysteryMT; 08-19-2008 at 03:18 PM..

Old 08-19-2008, 03:24 PM

364 posts, read 635,834 times
I am in the outskirts of the university area. I'm up around Northlake Mall. At least I thought this was university area, but is this the outskirts (upper end) of University or practically Huntersville?

Old 08-19-2008, 04:23 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
I was with Verizon and all their prior companies for years (like since the bag phone and installed car phone days). Around 2000 I switched to Cingular, now AT&T, and could not be happier. If you travel abroad you might find a carrier that uses GSM (and a quad band GSM handset) works great.

3G in CLT is OK, hopefully they will turn up the speed soon.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:44 PM

76 posts, read 291,512 times
It seems like everyone complains about Sprint but we haven't had any trouble with them (knock wood! ). We switched from Verizon almost a year ago and save about $80 a month for 3 phones, 2 of which have unlimited text and data plans. Plus we get great service and data speeds out here in the boonies just north of Mooresville. (For the record, Verizon worked great too, just expensive.) AT&T 3G service does not work up here; we can only get the slower Edge speeds.

If you do have trouble with Sprint, visit sprintusers.com for help. There are several employees who post there. I've also read that going through Sprint's email support is much better than phone or store support.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:46 AM

450 posts, read 2,322,128 times
I know a lot of people who use AT&T for their Blackberries but it's for work and I don't know if they would choose to pay for it personally or if there's something cheaper.

I'm not in Charlotte anymore and I have a personal Blackberry and use AT&T because it has the best coverage where I am for the most reasonable plan that meets my needs (or wants). I would say it is more important to consider coverage area first before you look at the price- don't go by price alone. Go by coverage first even if it costs more. In Charlotte it can depend on what area you're in and also where you travel outside of Charlotte a lot. I needed to make sure (when I lived in Charlotte) that whatever I had also covered te entire territory I drive through on the way to visit relatives because there are some pretty dead/no service areas around for some carriers.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:09 AM

371 posts, read 1,102,255 times
I manage about 13,000 cellular devices in the North Mecklenburg area. I'd stay away from AT&T near the lake. As one of the prior posters said, the 3G service up here is horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte