Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 08:09 AM

450 posts, read 2,323,947 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if medical transcription jobs, especially those that work at home (even if you have to train inside an office) are plentiful in Charlotte, and if you can get one just by completing the certificate training from a community college? How do you get started in this field and how do the pay and benefits work , working at home, etc? How much money can one make if one works a lot of hours at home to get a lot of work done?

Do you have to be employed by a hospital or do you have to contact each doctor's office individually? Also, I assume most doctors have their transcriptionists already...how hard is it to break into the field new?

I hope this is enough questions. I am thinking of moving back to the area and am desperate to find a way to secure a good paying job with *flexibility* for my kids when they are in school or sick. Hoping to work at home so I don't have to pay for daycare for the youngest or worry about who's going to watch my oldest after school when she starts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 01:28 PM

18 posts, read 57,282 times
I work as a Medical Transcriptionist. I took an online course and they helped me network to get an Independent Contractor position from home. I transcribe for hospitals out of state. The course was called Career Step. Good luck!

Old 09-03-2008, 02:19 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,834,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh65 View Post
I work as a Medical Transcriptionist. I took an online course and they helped me network to get an Independent Contractor position from home. I transcribe for hospitals out of state. The course was called Career Step. Good luck!
I would be curious how you are paid? Do the individual hospitals pay you, or are you part of a service as an independent contractor who pays you? And what is the price range for working this way? Thanks!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:27 PM

18 posts, read 57,282 times
I work for a transcription company as an independent contractor. I am paid by the line. It truly is production work, the more I type, the more I get paid. Some places pay a salary, but most pay by the line. This is not my main source of income as I am a nurse. I do transcription on the side so it's my "extra" money. I have made over $1000 per month in a good month. I'm a mom with 2 kids. You can make lots more if it is your primary source of income but the training is very important and it is not as easy as it seems. Good luck!!

Old 10-24-2008, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 13,639 times
Default Wanted Job

Help anyone, I need a job so so bad, I recently graduated in medical transcription, and before I worked at the Health Dept for 11 years, I want to work from home but I can't find anybody that will hire me without experience and they want count my school, can someone give me some help?

Old 10-24-2008, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 13,639 times
Quote:
I work for a transcription company as an independent contractor. I am paid by the line. It truly is production work, the more I type, the more I get paid. Some places pay a salary, but most pay by the line. This is not my main source of income as I am a nurse. I do transcription on the side so it's my "extra" money. I have made over $1000 per month in a good month. I'm a mom with 2 kids. You can make lots more if it is your primary source of income but the training is very important and it is not as easy as it seems. Good luck!!
what company do work for can you help me out Rita S

Old 10-24-2008, 02:17 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,995,668 times
Quote:
You can make lots more if it is your primary source of income but the training is very important and it is not as easy as it seems. Good luck!!
I'll second that. My wife is currently taking a course in medical transcription & she says its like learning another language. tlh65 its not just about copying is it?

Old 10-24-2008, 03:28 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,579,559 times
Aren't jobs being lost in medical transcription, due to voice recognition systems?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:22 PM

373 posts, read 1,473,446 times
How do handle HIPAA requirements?

Old 10-25-2008, 02:10 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,834,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita S View Post
Help anyone, I need a job so so bad, I recently graduated in medical transcription, and before I worked at the Health Dept for 11 years, I want to work from home but I can't find anybody that will hire me without experience and they want count my school, can someone give me some help?
Rita, since you just "graduated" can't the school that certified you help you with job placement? That's what our community college here in Charlotte (CPCC) used to do. It really can be hard to get on somewhere without experience unless you know someone. I will ask around for you though, okay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte