Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 10:39 AM

624 posts, read 2,108,128 times

Advertisements

What about the person/family/pedestrain/kid running out for a ball that he/she runs into? Maybe sacrifice the effort it takes to pull back on that lever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 10:44 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,463,472 times
And risk a ticket for someone who's already endangering me...who could care less that I get to pay $50? Nah.

I'll leave the onus to them to be a better driver. Not my yob.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:14 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,894,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
And where does this rare breed of driver inhabit our region?

If a pimped up thug doing 70 with one hand on the wheel down WT Harris is alert and just a few over, then I guess I just need to get up with the times.

Seriously though, this is the problem...very very few drivers are responsible enough to realize their alertness needs to increase exponentially as their speed increases slowly. Reaction times, vehicle handling, stopping distance, road conditions, tire conditions...show me the typical driver who has a clue about any of this.

And comparing someone who's speeding to someone who's talking on the cell phone is a moot point. Most cell phone drivers actually slow down and drive a little more sluggish while talking...but are still distracted (don't confuse this statement with me supporting this) and can veer into other lanes, forget to use signals, etc...which keeps them at the same level as an irresponsible speeding driver.

Just as much as we all gripe and moan about how criminals need to be dealt with in our community instead of a slap on the wrist and a release back out into the wild, people who break the law on the road (yes, the speed limit is a law) should be held to the penalties for doing such...and repeat offenders should be hung out to dry with fines, suspensions, and other discomforting punishments. Just as we wouldn't whistle like a bird if the cops come into sight for a burglar who's moving flat screens TV's through a smashed out window, you shouldn't flash your lights to a speeding driver. Drastic comparison, but some folks need a cold splash of water to get the point.
And I would like to ask you, where does this rare driver inhabit our region that is able to control his/her car while conversing on the phone. I have been driving for many years without an accident. I have experienced conversion on a cell phone while driving. When doing so, a huge part of my concentration is diverted to the cell phone conversation. People do not give turn signals when on cell phones, cross over lanes, run into bicycle lanes, cut in on traffic unknowingly. Many things occur when on a phone that don't occur when a driver is driving over the speed limit. On the other hand, if one is willing to take a chance on speeding, he/she should be willing to accept the penalty. Generally, I do not flash my lights and give warning. The only exception is on a long, straight, road where the speed limit is ten miles per hour less than what it should be and traffic is generally scarce. If I see a cop in that situation, I will flash if the car doesn't seem to be going a reasonable speed for the road/traffic at the time. I will be extremely happy when talking on the cell phone is banned. Like smoking in public, most places with mostly intelligent people have already installed laws against. That should happen in Charlotte soon.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:00 PM

876 posts, read 3,792,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
Well the off duty police officers in unmarked cars passing me at 90mph on 77 sure know the law!

They set a good example and teach me a lesson.
Good point. Next time your house is being broken into and your neighbor calls it in, maybe the police will make sure they take their time to get there and ensure that the thieves are long gone before their arrival!

As I am sure you know, the element of surprise is key when an officer responds to an in-progress crime. Lights and sirens will generally scare a thief off and thus nothing gets solved.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
And I would like to ask you, where does this rare driver inhabit our region that is able to control his/her car while conversing on the phone...
I should have clarified myself more...

I meant the comparison is a moot point because they're on in the same. Speeding is/can be just as bad as talking on the phone. Both drastically reduce your effectiveness as an alert driver and both are a crap shoot. Most of the time, nothing happens. But when that something happens, it's a big-un!

Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,894,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
I should have clarified myself more...

I meant the comparison is a moot point because they're on in the same. Speeding is/can be just as bad as talking on the phone. Both drastically reduce your effectiveness as an alert driver and both are a crap shoot. Most of the time, nothing happens. But when that something happens, it's a big-un!
I totally agree.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:12 AM

70 posts, read 335,970 times
I was stopped by the second cop few hundred yards away from the first one for doing it (they were both speed trapping). I told him my defense (see below) but the wet behind the ears sob gave me the ticket anyway. I showed up in court, told the judge my defense and he took one quick last look at me and at the cop then said you're free to go. With a rather disgusted tone, I might add. I'm sure to this day that that was directed towards the young cop.

As for my defense, scroll down.

"Your honor, I saw a deer crossing and at least another one about to follow, and I wanted to warn the incoming driver".

Old 09-16-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNightRat View Post
..."Your honor, I saw a deer crossing and at least another one about to follow, and I wanted to warn the incoming driver".
So is that the truth?

Old 09-16-2008, 06:27 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,277 times
I always flash my lights when I see an animal in or near the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte