Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:46 AM

236 posts, read 806,984 times

Advertisements

I have a black 30gb ipod that scratched up pretty bad. I called the Apple store and they said that there's stuff "out there" that you can use to remove the scratches...and also there maybe shops in charlotte that will polish them for you.

Anyone know of a place or product?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 08:52 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,413,560 times
I was directed to this..

Review-AppleSauce iPod - Scratch Removal Kit - AppleMatters

I still haven't gathered the courage to actually try it. I remember having a few people say that Brasso works too, but I've heard a few people say that it made their ipod worse.

Keep in mind that you're actually using an abrasive to remove those scratches. That's why I still haven't gathered the nerve to try it. The funny thing is that I felt a lot easier in cracking open my ipod and changing the battery than applying an abrasive to a plastic screen.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:22 AM

624 posts, read 2,109,765 times
How do you open the ipod and change the battery. I have an old one that won't work unless it's plugged into a dock, so I think I'm willing to risk it.

I've also heard horror stories of products making it worse, haven't tried one myself but just a heads up to be weary and understand the risk and possible benefits.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
I have a skin on mine. Just put a neat skin on and no more looking at the scratches!!!!

EDIT TO ADD: maybe you meant on the face/screen and not the body. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Last edited by brokensky; 09-10-2008 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 09-10-2008, 09:58 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
How do you open the ipod and change the battery. I have an old one that won't work unless it's plugged into a dock, so I think I'm willing to risk it.

I've also heard horror stories of products making it worse, haven't tried one myself but just a heads up to be weary and understand the risk and possible benefits.

I used these guys...

Robust iPod Battery Replacement Kits

They have a service where you can send your ipod in and they'll do it for you. I'm not sure how much they charge for it though. They ship the battery out to you FAST (I ordered mine on a Saturday night and got that Wednesday or Thursday).

They send you a sharp little plastic pry bar type of thing to crack your ipod open with, a little screwdriver, and the battery. The instructions were very detailed with photos to go along with it, so your hand is practically being held throughout the process. I think the most nerve wracking thing is cracking the ipod open. You're afraid that something's gonna slip and you're gonna have pieces flying everywhere. That's not really the case. The other harrowing thing is making sure nothing happens to the ribbons around the old and new ipod battery. Even then, not so bad at all.

I think if I had to do it again, right now, the whole process would probably take somewhere around 10 minutes to do. It's not hard at all to do. And true to their word, the battery life is excellent. They do tell you that it's best advised if you hard charge the ipod battery using an adapter as opposed to your computer, but it's not necessary to do.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:06 PM

well, slipping a skin on it won't work out...since i am trying to sell it (so that i can purchase the new ipod touch).
i want to clean it up real good and put it on craigslist/ebay

Old 09-10-2008, 12:23 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,223,281 times
You risk damaging it more, I would buy a cover and note it on E-bay. My friend tried one kit and it yellowed the screen to unreadable.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:27 PM

ughhh, ok. guess i'll just buy a nice skin and hope no1 cares about the scratches

Old 09-10-2008, 01:35 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen424 View Post
ughhh, ok. guess i'll just buy a nice skin and hope no1 cares about the scratches
Just price it right and note the scratches. Wulf is right - If you screw it up trying to take the scratches out . . . oh my. A lot of people will consider the skin a bonus, I would think!

Last edited by brokensky; 09-10-2008 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 09-10-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
You risk damaging it more, I would buy a cover and note it on E-bay. My friend tried one kit and it yellowed the screen to unreadable.

That's why I'm afraid of using those things. By nature if you're using an abrasive on a thin plastic screen...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: