Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:03 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,628,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
I agree. I looked all over the U.S. for the best place to settle that had the following: reasonable housing costs, reasonable taxes, change of seasons (little snow possible but not too much), Plenty of good Asian restaurants, entertainment, bars, boating, proximity to beaches and mountains, international airport, safe areas to live, and cleanliness.

I understand why people from all over the country (and world)chose to move to the area. As far as the article, it was ambiguous in my opinion and should not be taken to heart. Charlotte is not utopia making it immune to problems of recession, prosperity and other economic trends. It is just a city that is healthier than most and fortunate enough to have an excellent work force lessening the effects of economic factors.

Charlotte was hit hard in the early 90s when plans for huge projects were put on hold downtown. It took ten years to recover. We are in another trend, but seem to be doing surprisingly well. Things will recover shortly as they always do. In regards to the article from ths magazine that I have never heard of personally and as they say in New York: FORGET ABOUT IIIIT!!

The fact that the Charlotte area has handled the immigration of over 50,000 newcomers per year, I find it astonishing that things are not worse. I think that the city is well underated.
Nice post, Bandi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 05:22 AM

755 posts, read 2,496,756 times
Saying Charlotte is overrated doesn't mean it's bad, just that it's not the Utopia that people seem to think it is.

Charlotte is overrated. And in truth, is hasn't handled the large influx of people well. Roads, water, schools...none of these have come even close to keeping up with the growth.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:41 AM

693 posts, read 2,179,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
It not the traffic its the traffic lights

I know a certain town in this state if you drove a certain speed limit you could sail through that town on all green lights.
If you try to go a little faster your doom to be stop at the next light
I totally agree with you! I totally think the timing on the lights could be adjusted to make traffic run smoother. It's one of the first things I noticed when I moved here.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:31 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,461,139 times
I decided to open the link provided for Walletpop. While there, I noticed a link that was called "10 places to retire that are NOT over rated". Imagine my surprise when I found Montgomery County, Maryland on the list! Montgomery County! What a terrible area to live! It has very high taxes, high crime, terrible traffic congestion, uber liberal politicians and lousy weather. Guess that convinced me of Walletpop's credibility (or lack thereof!!) Gimme Charlotte ANY day!!

Old 09-12-2008, 08:10 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,913,387 times
It drives me bloody nuts when I get off of I-77 in Cornelius at exit 28 and catch the light at the ramp, turn left, catch the red light again that goes over I-77 and then catch the next one at Liverpool. What is up with the timing? I know it is very congested there most of the time, but come on.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Saying Charlotte is overrated doesn't mean it's bad, just that it's not the Utopia that people seem to think it is.

Charlotte is overrated. And in truth, is hasn't handled the large influx of people well. Roads, water, schools...none of these have come even close to keeping up with the growth.
I must assume that have not witnessed or experienced expanded growth or infrastructure situations in other large cities. As a newcomer that has been to all major cities in the U.S. and half around the world, I disagree with you. For the huge influx of over 50,000 people a year moving into the Charlotte area, the city has done remarkedly well. All schools that have a huge number of people moving in have modular units in their schools, potholes usually worse than what you see around here as far as the water is concerned, clay earth doesn't absorb water like sand and vast amounts of water will cause floods. It has been many, many years since there have been floods in the area. But it happens. I am not saying that Charlotte is great or even better than any place else, I am just saying that for its size and handling of newcomers, it is doing pretty darn good. As far as being overrated, I personally don't really hear locals bragging about it being such a great place, so being overrated is an opinion that doesn't mean much to many. It is aparently good enough to keep the residents happy. Americans are the biggest complainers in the world. They tend to ***** and complain no matter how good a place is. Christ, I lived in London and listened to Americans complain about everything there: food, cost, lodging, lines, old buildings, etc.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:44 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,628,792 times
I was moving around cars today in the driveway/on our street. . . and saw three neighbors in that short span of time. All waved and we exchanged a few words. Took Miss Scarlett out to walk about an hour ago - and again ran into two neighbors walking - and we exchanged greetings. Then saw another neighbor and we ended up having a nice conversation (about gas prices, LOL!)

Then I came back in and read my email - and had three messages - two from people who have moved here to CLT and become good friends.

I read this thread again and I thought . . . well . . . what makes CLT a good place to live is the great people. As I was considering this . . . I realized . . all the people I had communicated w/ today . . . including lunch out w/ a friend . . . have moved here from other areas!

If this area is so over-rated, seems the newcomers would not be so well-adjusted and satisfied here - and seems people like me (natives) would not like it here, either.

No place is perfect but having lived in other areas (and visited many states across this great country) . . . I believe anyone can make a good life for themselves and their families here.

Frankly, I would just as soon we were a "best kept secret," as we need some time to catch up w/ our infrastructure repairs and expansion.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:18 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,461,139 times
I'm with you, Ani....shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....lets keep it a secret. As a newcomer I know that isnt too nice, but i like it just fine the way it is now.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:09 PM

755 posts, read 2,496,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
I must assume that have not witnessed or experienced expanded growth or infrastructure situations in other large cities.
Like most assumptions, yours are incorrect.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Like most assumptions, yours are incorrect.
Yet you "assume" that people consider Charlotte a utopia. May I ask to whom you are refering? Please inform me of my incorrect assumptions so that I may have an opportunity to resurect my pride that was destroyed as a result of your insult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte