Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 03:18 PM

124 posts, read 506,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpeace View Post
We need to sell our home fairly quickly. Can anyone give me ideas on what I can do in this market to help increase our chances for a quicker sale?

A little background: The real estate agent recommended listing at 949,000 and we listed for 920,000. We will be willing to go down in price even further...and we will. The home is new, clean, and staged. We are in one of the best locations/school districts.

We have only had one showing in a few months. What more can we do to let people know they will have instant equity in our home? We have a real estate agent but is there something we can do, somewhere we should advertise?

I understand a home our size and price will take longer than normal but is there anything I can do to speed it along. Ty for any help.
First Drop the price to something like $ 893,471 get below $ 900,000 odd prices
are better.
Second fire your Realtor.
Offer Big Bonus to Buyer like $20,000 cash at closing.
Put huge sign in the yard with mylar balloons on it. Put out flyer's and keep it stocked.
Include price, top benefits, and bonus.
advertise on Craig's list and every other free web site you can find with pics and all other info. Don't forget the local paper.
Put big signs at all corners and along the way with arrows leading to your house with
address and phone # that you leave on and have with you at all times.
Advertise in Chicago, New York, Boston, Orlando, all of Florida, D.C.,California places that people want to get away from. Tell them how great and beautiful NC is.

And most important have all of your family together pray, pray, pray
for it and mean it.
Go with God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 03:19 PM

81 posts, read 182,674 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. FYI: A house on my street is in the 990,000 range and we have more square footage. So we are $70,000 under that. We are looking at lowering it again I just need to get people in here. The buyers agent bonus is a good idea.

Can someone give me basic idea of what short sale is. Are you talking foreclosure? I'm going to google it later when I have time, but I'm willing to take any information/advice.

TY
A short sale is when you get your lender to accept less than what is owed on the property as a payoff. Not everyone will take that, nor do they have to.

It depends on how urgent your situation is.

Throw in a large decorating allowance, offer to pay all closing costs.

List it on Craigslist (it does work). Tell friends and co-workers about it.

Put that realtor bonus in there and you will probably get more traffic.

I have heard of people throwing in a vehicle to seal the deal. They buy your house, you give them your mercedes, etc...

GL to you

Old 09-11-2008, 03:47 PM

973 posts, read 3,303,836 times
I'd be careful about lowering your house too much without offering an explanation in the advertisements. When I see a home listed for significantly less than it's competition, I wonder what is wrong with it.
Consider having PRE-inspections done to make it more appealing to the skeptics (such as myself). Use a very reputable firm, as well. This will let folks know that you are serious about selling and are not trying to get out from under a house with hidden problems.
I also had an open house for agents only and found it helpful. Everyone has their own opinion on them but it helped me move my house since one of the agents who attended had a client looking for a house that met certain criteria and my house fit the bill.
Good luck!

Old 09-11-2008, 04:14 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
All good suggestions -- out of curiousity, what feedback did you get from the people that saw the home. I know it is not statiscally significant, as it is only one person, but just curious. Also, not sure where you are, but if they are still building in your community you will likely need to price it way under what someone could build the same house for.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:25 PM

97 posts, read 276,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
All good suggestions -- out of curiousity, what feedback did you get from the people that saw the home. I know it is not statiscally significant, as it is only one person, but just curious. Also, not sure where you are, but if they are still building in your community you will likely need to price it way under what someone could build the same house for.
The people that looked at our home came back twice. We were told our house was in their top three. They chose a different home but we only got positive feedback.

They are still building in our community. We were hoping that since we had a fence, well for irrigation, stone patio, leaving our home theatre system, window treatments, etc, that buyers would see a benefit from buying our home as opposed to building. It hasn't been on the market too long, I'm just getting anxious. My husbands job is not secure and I'm afraid if he loses it before we sell we may have to foreclose.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:44 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
The people that looked at our home came back twice. We were told our house was in their top three. They chose a different home but we only got positive feedback.

They are still building in our community. We were hoping that since we had a fence, well for irrigation, stone patio, leaving our home theatre system, window treatments, etc, that buyers would see a benefit from buying our home as opposed to building. It hasn't been on the market too long, I'm just getting anxious. My husbands job is not secure and I'm afraid if he loses it before we sell we may have to foreclose.
I wish I were in the position to buy your home. It sounds like a great house. I admire how forward-thinking you are to be doing all that is possible to deal w/ what could be a tough financial situation in the future.

Upgrading the website w/ professionally done pictures . . . having a professionally designed brochure . . . these things are nice enhancements to draw buyers in, as well.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
We need to sell our home fairly quickly. Can anyone give me ideas on what I can do in this market to help increase our chances for a quicker sale?

A little background: The real estate agent recommended listing at 949,000 and we listed for 920,000. We will be willing to go down in price even further...and we will. The home is new, clean, and staged. We are in one of the best locations/school districts.

We have only had one showing in a few months. What more can we do to let people know they will have instant equity in our home? We have a real estate agent but is there something we can do, somewhere we should advertise?

I understand a home our size and price will take longer than normal but is there anything I can do to speed it along. Ty for any help.
OOH ya offer 4% to ant agent that bring you the buyer or just broker protected that way all the realtors work for you.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:53 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
You have more amenities than a new house would but people like the idea of building a custom house - certainly at this price range. I think you are going to have to lower your price at least 10-15% under what a similar house would cost to build today.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:11 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,950,060 times
o boy,

You fail to realize the power of the MLS and Realtor.com if anything at least get a flat rate listing.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
o boy,

You fail to realize the power of the MLS and Realtor.com if anything at least get a flat rate listing.
I understand MLS but, it hasn't sold yet with it.
I sold my house in NC in 1 week with multiple offers in the first week of January with out it.
Maybe it was a fluke.

Last edited by o boy; 09-11-2008 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte