Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 07:33 AM

6 posts, read 13,178 times

Advertisements

Hi All. I hope someone can steer me in the right direction. I moved to Charlotte almost a week ago. My employer is putting me up in a hotel for the first 2 weeks while I look for somewhere to live. I have been all over creation, it feels like, but then I drive around after work and it feels like I find new neighborhoods all the time. I work in the University area (off of Mallard Creek Church Rd./David Taylor Dr.) I am trying to find a nice house for $1200/month or less. We have found quite a few, but they just aren't what we are looking for or it's a cute house in a BAD area. We're looking for hardwood floors, maybe a little fenced yard, a garage, something clean, cute and homey. We have looked close to the city, and out in the outer neighborhoods. We have found the Cornelius/Huntersville area to feel homey and inviting. I talk to people here at work, and they are like "have you looked at this area, have you looked at that area?" I feel overwhelmed and I don't want to move to an area that I feel like will be nice, and then I hate it. Does anyone have any suggestions/opinions on areas around my work or the Huntersville/Cornelius area? Anything would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 08:22 AM

what is DM?

Old 09-12-2008, 08:24 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,842 times
DM= Direct message. Look at the top right of your screen.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:38 AM

755 posts, read 2,493,798 times
Craigslist is a good resource for rental homes. If you find one you like on there, then you can come back on here and ask about the area.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:50 AM

yeah, Craigslist is where I found most of the "nice houses in bad areas". Also, there are a lot of scam on Craigslist. Some $300,000 house renting for $900, then when you email them and ask them for more info, they all have this weird form letter that says they'll only rent to "God fearing people that will treat the house as if it their own", and on the application they want to know my religion....um...i don't think so.... But I'm keeping my eye out for any legit houses on Craigslist.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:51 AM

84 posts, read 208,707 times
We found ours on Craigslist. $1100...doesn't have hardwood floors, but it's in a really cute neighborhood. 3 bedrooms and a huge fenced in back yard. We really like it....We ran into the same issue when we arrived here back in Feb. We were being put up in a hotel until we could find our house to rent as well. We were SO discouraged the first weekend we went out and looked around. Things were great prices and then you do a drive by and it's in an awful area or something is terribly wrong...we checked every day...me in the morning and my husband at night...we started to see the new houses as they first came up. We were, literally, the first people to see the listing and contact the landlord to come out and see it. We love it and are hoping he doesn't raise the rent this year when the lease is up for renewal

Old 09-12-2008, 01:01 PM

39 posts, read 111,787 times
I had some luck at carolinahome.com. Click on 'find a home,' the first box is property type and has a drop-down box with rental at the bottom. They had quite a few on there when I was looking. Best of luck!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:39 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Craigslist is a good resource for rental homes. If you find one you like on there, then you can come back on here and ask about the area.
Another vote for Craigslist!

Old 09-12-2008, 02:23 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Realtor dot com..

Old 09-12-2008, 05:02 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Responding to a self-serving ad on Craig's list will only add to your confusion if you are not knowlegeable about the areas that are being referred to. Remember that person wants to rent their house not help you with someone else's house.

My advise, since you came to this forum board, is to ask real estate agents to help you by DM (aka direct message, personal message,reply off board and not public) to with offering they might have and be decriptive in their response. The rules of the board prevent them from soliciting on board but if you seek their help I'm sure you will get assistance with-in 15 minutes or less.
LOL--probably less---Now that a GOOD THING!

gOOD LUCK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte