Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,342 times

Advertisements

We moved here from San Diego to get ahead, the only thing cheaper is the rent and gas is only .50 cheaper than San Diego. It is alot further to get anywhere so the gas kind of evens out. The bug are horrible!!! My family and I have to stay out of our backyard because we get eaten alive.

We got here and had to register our cars a old suburban and a 06 scion it cost us $400 and then $60 for inspection, then after 3 months you get a bill from the tax collector for the value of your car and that has to be paid every year on top of the annual registration and inspection fee. CA is cheaper.

Sales tax is 6.75 and an additional 2% tax which I do not know what it is for.

The roads stink so I do not know where they are putting their money because they are not repairing on making sense of the roads. You will get lost for sure especially in the cow poke towns, there are 3 different names on the same stretch of road. You end up on the other side of town with no explanation.

Lightning storms are terrible, I watched a house in my neighborhood get hit by a bolt and catch on fire, they say do not be on the 2nd floor but all of the houses are two story.

You have to run the ac for 6 months of the year due to the humidity it will kill you. My bill has been outrageous.

You cannot get healthy food here because they ship the produce from CA and it is already 5 days old and it goes bad before you get it home and you pay $5 a pound for dry oranges!! People smoke like chimney's in the restaurants and where ever they want.

Please do not respond with bad attitude because we are moving back, I just want people to know the truth about moving here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 06:14 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,985,310 times
I'm sorry things didn't work out for you. I hope you have a safe trip back and wish you happiness.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:15 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,190,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiamommy View Post
Please do not respond with bad attitude because we are moving back, I just want people to know the truth about moving here.
Kettle, meet Pot.

BTW, the 2 Cents tax is not an additional tax. It's a lower tax rate on staple food items.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:16 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,954,573 times
Its not for everyone just like San Deigo is not for me. Good Luck on your move back.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:16 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiamommy View Post
We moved here from San Diego to get ahead, the only thing cheaper is the rent and gas is only .50 cheaper than San Diego. It is alot further to get anywhere so the gas kind of evens out. The bug are horrible!!! My family and I have to stay out of our backyard because we get eaten alive.

We got here and had to register our cars a old suburban and a 06 scion it cost us $400 and then $60 for inspection, then after 3 months you get a bill from the tax collector for the value of your car and that has to be paid every year on top of the annual registration and inspection fee. CA is cheaper.

Sales tax is 6.75 and an additional 2% tax which I do not know what it is for.

The roads stink so I do not know where they are putting their money because they are not repairing on making sense of the roads. You will get lost for sure especially in the cow poke towns, there are 3 different names on the same stretch of road. You end up on the other side of town with no explanation.

Lightning storms are terrible, I watched a house in my neighborhood get hit by a bolt and catch on fire, they say do not be on the 2nd floor but all of the houses are two story.

You have to run the ac for 6 months of the year due to the humidity it will kill you. My bill has been outrageous.

You cannot get healthy food here because they ship the produce from CA and it is already 5 days old and it goes bad before you get it home and you pay $5 a pound for dry oranges!! People smoke like chimney's in the restaurants and where ever they want.

Sounds like you didn't do as much research as you should have before you moved here. But for the record, I get plenty of "healthy food" here by going just down the road to one of 3 fresh produce stands near me - sometimes the veggies were just picked a few hours before. And I'm wondering if you don't live on the water or near a creek? We spend hours a day outside around my house and hardly get bothered by bugs at all. As far as people smoking - come on - this is NORTH CAROLINA - home of tabacco. And while I don't smoke myself, thank God we live in a part of the country where we haven't lost ALL our rights yet. Good luck back on the west coast.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:18 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,976,684 times
I think the only bad attitude in your thread is the one that you're moving back with. Have a safe trip!

Old 09-15-2008, 06:18 PM

841 posts, read 1,433,464 times
No need to apologize. It's a different strokes for different folks kind of thing. Do what's best for your family. We all wish you the best.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:28 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
Yes, hope you have a good trip back. This just wasn't the place for you so it is better you will be able to head back to SD.

But just one question . . . have ya'll never heard of bug spray?

Old 09-15-2008, 06:31 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,714,120 times
Before you leave share with us what attracted you to CLT to begin with. What did you know about Charlotte or did not like about CA? How long were you here?
If you feel these are neg. questions and don't wish to answer I'll understand.
Good luck.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:33 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,428,403 times
Default buye-buye now. Y'all have a safe trip ya hear...

..as my grandpappy said while smoking a cig, and chowing down on a big plate of fried and a cold PBR, at the fish camp in downtown cow poke..."don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya".

Now if we could just get a few hundred thousand "new comers" to come over to your thinking, this place my actually be a half way decent place to live again.

really..just kidding...but I know somebody was thinking it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte