Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 09:41 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD&Z View Post
I moved from a very affluent part of NY that had awesome public schools (as did much of the area). I think it's just an adjustment I had to make coming here to the area as far as expectations. Education has not been as much of a priority here - dropout rates from high school are surprisingly high; in Meck County it's about 5% drop out, Union County almost 3% - where I was in NY it was under 1%.

On Long Island NY (where it seems many people are moving from - per pupil spending for 2006 was about $16,000) In NJ (Statewide it's over $10,000 - tops in the nation for an entire state) In Union County it's just over $6,000. That is a BIG difference.

Most of the people who move to Union county use the public school system, so it is much better than most of Meck county - but it's going to be years (and much higher taxes) before it's close to a school system in NY/NJ/CT where there is much more funding. Especially if you're someone that needs extra services/programs (special ed., etc)
Ever notice how only the "affluent" parts or NY have successful schools? Wouldn't you agree that schools in some parts of NY truly suck? Aren't those usually the ones in high poverty areas? Well, the same thing has happened here and all over the whole country for that matter.

Yet you imply that people in the south, or in NC, don't give education a "high priority". This is simply not true. It's all about the dollars, which until recent years the vast majority of this state did not have. This is a very rural state for the most part. If certain schools aren't up to the standards you are used to in NY that is because there have not been the dollars here to bring them up to standard like there have been in NY for generations. This has nothing to do with the people not viewing education as a high priority. When there is no money, or not enough of it, that is just a fact of life and people do the best they can with what they have. Yes, it would be so awesome if each and every public school in the entire country were funded exactly the same way and given all the same advantages - but in the real world that isn't possible.

Additionally, though some states or communities are not as financially privileged as others, what they do have is a deep appreciation for the much bigger picture. They recognize that superior schools are only one part of the success of a child in life. A more rural way of life, while keeping us a less affluent state, has allowed us to keep God in our communities along with values and traditions that shape the kind of future adults our kids will be. A less affluent lifestyle often helps folks to stay focused on what is really important in life - things like family and faith. We don't want a fast paced existence that keeps us from knowing our neighbors or eating dinner every night with our children. And we especially don't want the higher taxes we'd have to pay to get some of the things some more affluent people seem to value.

Your comment that "it's going to be years (and much higher taxes) before it's close to a school system in NY/NJ/CT where there is much more funding" is incredibly ironic considering that most of you from the northeast flee here to avoid those high taxes you are now suggesting we need to have?? Yes, schools may have been more privileged where you came from, but just remember, that fact does not always translate to kids becoming happy, well-rounded, successful adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 09:52 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,192 times
I want to go back to the original comment. This is one I know of personally that happened in a different counties school, but is relevant to all of our children. Please keep this in mind when you are thinking of you children's safety away from home and who is going through the school at any given time.

A child was a student at a local school. Mom had just moved them across the country to escape from an abusive husband and father. She had court orders to keep this father away from the child. Well Dad had located them after several months. He took a "tour" of the school. He just wanted to locate the child to take off with her. He requested a second visit because "his mind was not made up about this school". When waiting in the schools office a secretary noticed something protruding from under his coat. She immediately notified authorities. She not only saved this child, but prevented an all out disaster. He later told the authorities that he would have shot anyone in his way.

How would you feel as a parent knowing that happened in your child's school. Unfortunately we are now in a society that has too many offenders of our children. I was not offended when Weddington told me no tours. I then asked if there were a time that I could sit with the principal or guidance counselor after school hours as to not disrupt their day. They understood my concerns, and I understood theirs. They happily gave me the tour and answered all of my questions after the school day had ended. I think they are only thinking of the childrens safety. That was a comfort to me.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:51 AM

225 posts, read 835,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandevder View Post
I want to go back to the original comment. This is one I know of personally that happened in a different counties school, but is relevant to all of our children. Please keep this in mind when you are thinking of you children's safety away from home and who is going through the school at any given time.

A child was a student at a local school. Mom had just moved them across the country to escape from an abusive husband and father. She had court orders to keep this father away from the child. Well Dad had located them after several months. He took a "tour" of the school. He just wanted to locate the child to take off with her. He requested a second visit because "his mind was not made up about this school". When waiting in the schools office a secretary noticed something protruding from under his coat. She immediately notified authorities. She not only saved this child, but prevented an all out disaster. He later told the authorities that he would have shot anyone in his way.

How would you feel as a parent knowing that happened in your child's school. Unfortunately we are now in a society that has too many offenders of our children. I was not offended when Weddington told me no tours. I then asked if there were a time that I could sit with the principal or guidance counselor after school hours as to not disrupt their day. They understood my concerns, and I understood theirs. They happily gave me the tour and answered all of my questions after the school day had ended. I think they are only thinking of the childrens safety. That was a comfort to me.

You still got that tour didn't you! Some were not so fortunate.

Lovesmountains:

Well said. In fact, I would rate that as a slam dunk!

Last edited by warden; 02-20-2007 at 12:19 PM..

Old 02-20-2007, 10:59 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
lovesMountains was right on target. She had multiple valid points.

SL

Old 02-20-2007, 11:05 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,192 times
My friend works in the school office at one of the elementary schools in this county. She said at any given time there are more than 150 requests for school tours monthly. Many of those tours move into other schools districts and is a complete waste of time. But to play the other side here for a moment...Is that wise use of our school's resouorces? Shouldn't our tax dollars go towards educating our children and not taking leisurely walks through a school explaining the local sports programs.

I do entirely see your side of the problem, but you need to understand the other as well. One school locally is talking of offering a once a month tour after school hours. You must sign up in advance or not be included. I think this is a great way to pacify both sides.

In stead of complaining some people should come together to make a positive change. One voice often makes little noise...a large group commands attention! If there are so many concerns why don't you go to a board of ed meeting? They give the public time to speak. I am sure they can better address your needs or at least give a better understanding as to why these rules are in place. You and you alone are the best advocate for your child. Stand up and be heard.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:46 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Thats funny because our elem is the one of the best in NJ beileve it or not and umm afluent been there done that and hated most of those people they were too worried about how much money they had to spend, going out to lunch with thier so called friends and SCHOO?? um well they send their kids sick to school even though they are SAHM which i have been for 12.5 years now interestingly enough I have to disagree with you as ciriculum is concrened Jackson has the toughest as we are the ginny pigs for NJ and new ciriculum and well our grading lets just say a 80 is JUST passing...which is sad but whatever, we have tons of honor of excellence schools and guess what??? the Ciriculum is THE SAME IN Weddington, and Marvin as North Jersey and Centeral Jersey where we live..so 1st had I have to disagree with you, Ive spoken to plenty of LI people from Soyessett which I KNOW is ONE of the Best school districts and guess what THEY ARENT HAPPY??? however they love the Weddington/Marvin School district where they have moved, so im sorry to say afluent or not it has everything to do with the CHILD AND THE ADMINISTRATION...and like Ive said I Lived in a very Affluent Community before moving to Jackson and well the schools had alot to be desired....just had to put my 2 sense in..When I see the ciriculum side by side I guess my kids are stupid and will be until Union County Catches up...sorry C no offense to you however I do take offense to this when NC HAS THE BEST COLLEGES IN THE STATE AND FUNNY HOW NOT EVERYONE IS FROM OUT OF TOWN..so they must be doing something right...

Ok im sure im gonna get it now..LOL

Old 02-21-2007, 06:39 AM

31 posts, read 108,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Your comment that "it's going to be years (and much higher taxes) before it's close to a school system in NY/NJ/CT where there is much more funding" is incredibly ironic considering that most of you from the northeast flee here to avoid those high taxes you are now suggesting we need to have?? Yes, schools may have been more privileged where you came from, but just remember, that fact does not always translate to kids becoming happy, well-rounded, successful adults.
I moved here for a better quality of life - NOT lower taxes. I would be happy to pay more taxes (and expect to over time) since obviously the money for schools, roads, government officials needs to come from somewhere.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:36 AM

298 posts, read 565,159 times
Default dyslexia/teachers/schools-the horror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
I find that hard to beileve, I do have a child who learns a bit differently and takes a while and Ive spoken to sandy ridge and admins and teachers and let me say this, they will be able to give my child what she needs and was very pleased that it was similar to my NJ school which is an honor of excellence school and well have been ery happy...so Im sorry but I do find it a bit difficult that a Teacher doesnt know what deslexia is....especially in today's day and age...They were very helpful and very nice...well anyway, my child doesnt learn auditorially she learns visually which they understood and gave me some suggestions..so Im sorry Wm I have to disagree with u on that one and I met a very nice lady who does have a son with a learning problem and they have done wonders for him...
My daughter has dyslexia and I send her to a private school because the public school thought she was borderline retarded instead (here in Bloomington Indiana). I am afraid to say it is not fun for students with learning processing disorders/dyslexia in the educational system right now. All the states define dyslexia differently (or recognize it differently/some like Indiana don't really recognize it except in very narrow terms). We are currently staying here ONLY for her school, and are waiting to move until we feel she is able to leave her school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte