Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2007, 05:36 PM

3 posts, read 20,360 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Union Co. He has a job offer in Monroe, NC. How is MOnroe,NC as far as schools ( we have a 21 month old little girl), jobs, diversity and safety? Also, how are some of the other towns Weddington,Wesley Chapel or Indian Trial when it comes to familyfriendly, schools and safety? Any info. will be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-19-2007, 10:24 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finesse182 View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to Union Co. He has a job offer in Monroe, NC. How is MOnroe,NC as far as schools ( we have a 21 month old little girl), jobs, diversity and safety? Also, how are some of the other towns Weddington,Wesley Chapel or Indian Trial when it comes to familyfriendly, schools and safety? Any info. will be greatly appreciated!
Hi, try sending a private message to our poster "Saralee". She lives in Monroe and can tell you a lot about it and where to look for great homes. All of Union county is basically a pretty safe place to live. The part of Monroe that hwy 74 runs thru is ugly (to me) because it is all congested and just mostly strip malls. But once you get off that main hwy there are many nice country roads and rural vistas. Good luck.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:45 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,148,498 times
Loves is right; that area going toward Monroe around Hwy 74 is an eye sore. But further out Union County is one of our most desirable areas for newcomers. You can get valuable information about Union County Schools by visiting http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us. And, if you'd like a website where you can view available properties send me a pm. I'd be happy to send you info on neighborhoods.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:28 AM

462 posts, read 1,843,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hi, try sending a private message to our poster "Saralee". She lives in Monroe and can tell you a lot about it and where to look for great homes. All of Union county is basically a pretty safe place to live. The part of Monroe that hwy 74 runs thru is ugly (to me) because it is all congested and just mostly strip malls. But once you get off that main hwy there are many nice country roads and rural vistas. Good luck.
I tend to agree. 74 running through Monroe is not as impressive as say Indian Trail or Matthews. My wife and I are building in Monroe. It seems like a nice area. Statistics wise, it does not sound the greatest but most of the stats that I found were from 2000, so with all the growth in the area as of late I would find it hard to not think alot has changed so tried to not let that sway my decision. The only real downer for us with Monroe is the double tax for both Union and Monroe but the way I see it coming from Long Island my yearly tax is close to what I would have to pay monthly on a house equivalant to what we purchased in Monroe on Long Island so I just need to stop whining. Everyone that I have met that is native to Monroe loves it so that's a plus in my eyes. As far as schools Monroe Junior High and High are supposed to be pretty rough schools but again with all the growth they are building new schools so that may change in the near future also, plus Union has charter schools which is on a lottery basis but are supposed to be great schools.
You could always look at Wesley Chapel or Waxhaw which both are just down the road from Monroe. They too are very nice.
Good luck to you and your husband and let us know where you decide to call home.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 20,360 times
Thanks so much for all the info. My husband, little one and I have arrived in Monroe on today to ride around and look at some of the areas. I will certainly agree with everyone about 74, ]B]It is really a eye sore!! [/b]

Old 02-20-2007, 01:12 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finesse182 View Post
Thanks so much for all the info. My husband, little one and I have arrived in Monroe on today to ride around and look at some of the areas. I will certainly agree with everyone about 74, ]B]It is really a eye sore!! [/b]
Hey, welcome to NC! Want to give your price range for a home so that some of us here can tell you about areas in that range?

Old 02-20-2007, 02:32 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,294 times
Agreed, 74 is yucky. Thank goodness you don't have to live along 74.

Seriously, I wish I could give you detailed information about Monroe, it's much easier if folks have very specific questions. But, we are new here ourselves. I just happen to like it here lots. I'm not "down" on Monroe as much as some others. Most of the negative comments come from folks who don't live here. The fact that Monroe is developing a lot slower than many other areas in UC was part of the appeal for us.

Technically, we more specifically live "out in the county." In other words, we're not inside city limits so while we live in a very small subdivision (minus HOA), we're surrounded by beautiful acreage, lots of farmland (my boys still get tickled driving down the road and seeing cows) and two lane country roads.

Don't know what your plans are as far as schooling but for now, your little girl is far too young to be impacted by the public school system. I'll warn you that many others do not like Monroe city schools. Other UC schools rate higher but, the city schools are not horrible places. We've had a positive experience.

Liek anything else, it's all a matter of perspective and what will make your heart happy.

Most of the folks I meet who live in Monroe really like it here, and that says a lot to me also.

Like love said, give us your price range and perhaps we can be even more helpful.

Good luck with your search. And enjoy your stay here.

Sincerely,

SL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte