Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2006, 08:01 AM

9 posts, read 19,936 times

Advertisements

Any can't miss things that I really should see while I am there? My wife and I are investigating the area, and are considering a move in the next few weeks. Where -in you opinion, would you visit if you were going there for the first time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2006, 08:23 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,214,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billzfan
Any can't miss things that I really should see while I am there? My wife and I are investigating the area, and are considering a move in the next few weeks. Where -in you opinion, would you visit if you were going there for the first time?

sorry I did not see your earlier posting about where to eat until just now...I'm getting ready to head out the door shortly...but wanted to give you a little bit of a kick start. I know it is a chain but for breakfast I say Cracker Barrel (there is one in Rock Hill), for lunch or dinner (if you like fish) the place we all go around here is Captain Steve's (in Fort Mill - off hwy 21), if you like Italiain there is De'Marco's (Fort Mill, off Gold Hill Rd. and 160). There is also the Red Bowl (across the street from De'Marco's). A lot of locals go to The Peach Stand (for lunch)..again located in Fort Mill (160/21) and Towne Tavern off 160. There is also Beef O'Brady's (in Baxter Village/Fort Mill)...there are a couple of other places inside the Baxter area to eat as well. Sorry I am just trying to type this real fast as I am leaving...and I know you are heading out shortly too! Hope you enjoy your visit here (it is suppose to be warming up here the next couple of days). Oh lastly if you want a great view of the Lake (Lake Wylie) go to T-Bones and sit out on the deck (an sip a couple of drinks...can't say to much for the food though).

Old 06-08-2006, 08:43 AM

9 posts, read 19,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas
sorry I did not see your earlier posting about where to eat until just now...I'm getting ready to head out the door shortly...but wanted to give you a little bit of a kick start. I know it is a chain but for breakfast I say Cracker Barrel (there is one in Rock Hill), for lunch or dinner (if you like fish) the place we all go around here is Captain Steve's (in Fort Mill - off hwy 21), if you like Italiain there is De'Marco's (Fort Mill, off Gold Hill Rd. and 160). There is also the Red Bowl (across the street from De'Marco's). A lot of locals go to The Peach Stand (for lunch)..again located in Fort Mill (160/21) and Towne Tavern off 160. There is also Beef O'Brady's (in Baxter Village/Fort Mill)...there are a couple of other places inside the Baxter area to eat as well. Sorry I am just trying to type this real fast as I am leaving...and I know you are heading out shortly too! Hope you enjoy your visit here (it is suppose to be warming up here the next couple of days). Oh lastly if you want a great view of the Lake (Lake Wylie) go to T-Bones and sit out on the deck (an sip a couple of drinks...can't say to much for the food though).
This is exactly the info that I was waiting for... Thanks so much - you rock!

Old 06-09-2006, 07:06 AM

33 posts, read 78,954 times
Planning going there June 22 from Florida...... did you enjoy it ? would you live there?...Plan on Mooresville, Huntersville ( just north of Charlotte)

Old 06-09-2006, 07:18 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Well I'm here visiting from Boston and staying in a Matthews, actually just drove through Matthews downtown...It's got a little of everything.

I guess areas to look at- I'd say all over (really if it's possible). North of Charlotte, South of Charlotte (I'm relocating to Waxhaw), maybe Lake Norman area. I guess it depends if you want to be out of the country, close to the city, more densely populated, more new chains (i.e., matthews got a lot of those from what I can see- they are very nice).

Old 06-09-2006, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,765 times
My husband and I are planning to move the Charlotte area but still deciding on an area far enough from the city but somewhere in the country. Any suggestions???

Old 06-09-2006, 07:31 PM

195 posts, read 217,534 times
Waxhaw is good! (message is too short this is a filler)

Old 06-09-2006, 07:50 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamifam
My husband and I are planning to move the Charlotte area but still deciding on an area far enough from the city but somewhere in the country. Any suggestions???
Well Waxhaw is definitely country living

I was there this afternoon and just tried driving around, although couldn't find downtown yet- Just drove Indian Trail Road and Weddington Road. So if you want long country roads, where you see huge fields, cows, horse ranches, etc. Then Waxhaw isn't bad. If you DON'T like being out of the way and just need to be near a Target, Old Navy, Kohls, then Matthews is pretty good as it's about 25 minutes down Indian Trail road so you can get all the chains (Starbucks, Circuit City, Old Navy, etc., etc.). Matthews is a bit more densely populated, and if you are visiting south charlotte, staying somewhere on Route 74 in Matthews is good as there's tons of hotels and plenty of shopping areas (again mostly chains-however I liked that). I am staying in Matthews and going between Waxhaw and there.

Note, I'm a newbie- I'm spending a few days purposely driving around to get lost and just feeling my way around. I've "driven through" Indian Trail, Stallings, and driven around Matthews (I think I went through downtown Matthews-lol). So take my response with a grain of salt

Last edited by Miker2069; 06-09-2006 at 07:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte