Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:34 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingNY View Post
bumping this thread.

Does anyone know what the State Sales Tax percentage is if you buy a new car from a dealer?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Found my answers. NC State levies a 4.5% sales tax, which is scheduled to be lowered to 4% in June 2007. Most counties levy an additional 2.5% on top of that. Mecklenburg happens to be one of the exceptions. It levies 3% on top of the state tax.
There's no sales tax in North Carolina on motor vehicles. We have a Highway Use Tax (HUT) instead. If you are already a resident of the state, your HUT would be 3% of the sale price, less any trade in credit.

However, newcomers to the state get a break. They will pay a $0-$150 HUT to register their motor vehicles.

HUT Details

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_ser...ighwayUse.html

Last edited by mm34b; 05-01-2007 at 12:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 12:40 PM

876 posts, read 3,792,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
There's no sales tax in North Carolina on motor vehicles. We have a Highway Use Tax (HUT) instead. If you are already a resident of the state, your HUT would be 3% of the sale price.

However, newcomers to the state get a break. They will pay a $0-$150 HUT to register their motor vehicles.

HUT Details

Is that a one time fee or is it every year? Sounds stupid, but I figure I'll ask all the questions I can! Thanks!!

Old 05-01-2007, 12:47 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
Is that a one time fee or is it every year? Sounds stupid, but I figure I'll ask all the questions I can! Thanks!!
One time. The HUT is due every time you request a NC motor vehicle title from the state's DMV.

Motor vehicle registration renewal (license plate sticker) is yearly along with vehicle safety & emissions inspection, but there's no HUT associated with that since you're not asking for a new title. Not all of NC's 100 counties have the emissions testing, but if you live in a metropolitan area, you'll have it.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-01-2007 at 12:55 PM..

Old 05-01-2007, 01:39 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,376,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
We bought our last new car in CA before we came. We did fleet pricing online before we bought off the showroom floor.

The dealer would give us $3,500 over invoice, the fleet pricing gave us $300 over invoice for a savings of $3,200 ($4700 off sticker).

I would go online and do feet pricing first. You could even list 3 dealers from each location (where you are now and NC) and see what the best deal that pops up is.

Dawn
Hi Dawn,

I PM'd you a question.

BxRosie

Old 05-01-2007, 05:12 PM

57 posts, read 298,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
There's no sales tax in North Carolina on motor vehicles. We have a Highway Use Tax (HUT) instead. If you are already a resident of the state, your HUT would be 3% of the sale price, less any trade in credit.

HUT Details

Thanks so much mm34b. Looks like I'll be waiting until I get to NC to buy a new car. My $25,000 purchase price (no trade in) will save me $1350 in the difference between the 8.375% NY sales tax and the 3% HUT Tax in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte